The somme or flanders fields

flynny

Either would be deeply interesting and fulfilling. It all depends on your background really - do you have a keener interest in or knowledge of either? Do you want to visit the location of particular battles or actions? Do you have relatives involved in or killed in the battles fought in each area? I'd choose the Somme, simply because my great-great uncles are buried in Grove Town and Gordon Dump cemeteries, having been killed three months apart. That said, the Menin Gate ceremony and Tyne Cot are viewedas must-sees, but I'm equally attracted to the smaller cemeteries that don't get the coverage of the enormous cemeteries and memorials.

Whatever you choose, if you do a bit of research and reading beforehand, you'll have a very interesting visit.

The Somme has a lot to offer. There are plenty of places to visit during the day if the weather is good, and no shortage of good museums should the weather be unfavourable. Having visited the Somme and Flanders on many occasions, my preference would be the Somme.

+1 for the Somme and the museum ,moving doesnt come close to describe it.My great granddad survived the Somme but the nightmares lasted all his life .The row and row of graves and the young age of most of the killed is a humbling place to be and puts modern man to shame.Go to the Menin gate i dare you not to cry as the haunting bugles play.

Having been going since a young lad almost every year, I'd say the Somme, simply because I think it has more to offer for first time visitors etc. Ypres/Flanders is good, and has some great museums, Tyne Cot and Meinn gate are amazing - however I think you'd get more out of going to the Somme.

Just my take on things :) I personally prefer going to the Somme than I do Ypres, I don't know why I just do. I find it an utterly fascinating place...

Top places,

Theipval

Ulster Tower

Newfoundland park

Vimmy Ridge

Sunken lane

Lochnigar Crater

The Somme 1916 museum in Albert

Delville wood is a good one too

Where ever you pick you'll have a good time!

Both, they are different, but you have to know your history before you go or you don't really understand what you are seeing.

I do agree with this!

Also if you know a bit or have a particular unit in mind you'd like to find out about or an area of operations... go off the road a little bit and move away from the big tourist places and immersive yourself in to the battlefields completely! You'll find some good stuff too lying about!!

Edited by WinchesterDave

Depends on the time of year your going,been over 14 times in november mostly for the parade at wipers but mostly cold and wet ,you can visit cloth hall but its not as good as it was,a bit sterile now since it had a revamp ,before it was a bit dusty,eerie ,and a smell of damp hessian .

Albert underground tunnel/museum is very good ,nice 2ww 25 pounder outside,newfoundland is okay ,nice monument but walk right to the bottom and see the 51st HD memorial and Y ravine and one of the smallest cemetery that i know of in a wee circle (all scottish laddies) Peronne has a good museum but i find the music from the war films a bit of a pain in the bum and i had to speak to the curator 2 years running about the black watch manakin had its kilt with the pleats to the front before it was sorted.

Always wear ma kilt gear and my grandfathers cap badge (QOCH) and always get a warm welcome wherever i go .Wherever you go you will find the mass of info and sights will leave you at a loss for words ,well thats what it does to me.

johnnie

ps the cairn in my photo is for the 16th batt RS at contalmaison about 4 miles from Albert

Edited by AULD YIN

Both, they are different, but you have to know your history before you go or you don't really understand what you are seeing.

This ^ If you don't have any relatives that were there, see if there was anyone local to you with a special story, do some research then go and find the places they were in action. It can otherwise look like a big expanse of fields/woods and a bit meaningless.

A visit to Tyne Cot and Ypres is well worth it.

Very few things have upset me quite as much as finding my son's name on the Menin Gate.

I went with my brother about twenty years ago,found Tyne Cot very moving,the birds were singing as we got of the coach,when we entered through the gate it was totally quiet,i will go back again.

A visit to Tyne Cot and Ypres is well worth it.

Not yet been to the Somme, but do recommend Tyne Cot and Ypres, along with the Hill 62 museum/memorial. The whole subject was dealt with sensitively and sometimes graphically at the 'In Flander's Fields' museum - heartening to see groups of school children too. Hard to imagine that such a peaceful, quiet place was once the backdrop to one of the bleakest moments in human history.

I would go to the Somme it would be hard not to be moved just standing there and realising what happened in that place, my grandfather was there and although not the man he was he was one of the lucky few who came back also it was quite strange to ring my father on a mobile phone back in England whilst I stood where all the carnage had taken place.

It really is a place which will leave you in awe and wonder as to what actually went on.

It was my dad that the started the Interest off for me and my brother. So much so for my brother he has now developed his companies around the First World War.

One of which was shown on BBC the other week; to take school children over to France using Virtual Reailty. I don't know if anyone saw it? :)

Thanks for the input gents, I've been in Rome for the last few days( treated the wife for her 40th)

Me and my bro in law are thinking of going this/next year, just to pay our respects to the bravest of all men,

Daff , me and matt will bend your ear at the PW weekend about it,

Cheers all

Flynny