Random limping

Fal

Back last season around November time I sent my lab for a bird and I carried on shooting, he came back with the bird limping on his front leg, I didn't see what happened.

He had a month off coming shooting and I kept him on the lead as much as I could. After a month off and some swimming exercises for a week, just literally sending him for water retrieves no running he seemed back to normal, no limping during or after excercise or training.

I was doing some training with him last night and sent him on a long retrieve, he flew out as per usual, but as he stopped to scoop the dummy he started limping. I stopped and put the lead on him straight away and put him back in the truck. When I took him home he seemed to be ok again, strange.

I gave him a good once over, pads, toes, claws, shins, elbows and I extended his shoulder back and forth and there were no signs of pain at all. Didn't pull away or make a sound at all.

This morning when I took them out, he started off jumping around like a mad man and then started limping, initially there was no sign of anything and no limping. I let him do his business and put him back on the lead.

I'm starting to worry that he may have done something to his shoulder, I am going to keep him off it as much as I can the weekend and take him to the vet Monday/Tuesday.

I am just wondering if any of you have had similar issues, and what the cause was. I don't want to be doing permanent damage to him by letting it recover, then allowing it to flare up again. There has been a big gap between him limping and he's been working and training since so it's strange. Unless it's a totally different injury, which is a possibity I suppose.

Thanks,

Rhodri

I have a similar thing with one of my springers.

She has had a couple of x-rays but nothing really shown up. She has got 6 weeks of no exercise (3 x 5mins on a lead per day!) and then see if that cures it.

Like you I don't think it will.

I suspect that it may be the start of elbow dysplasia as vet said something on one of the x-rays (I cant remember what it is called) is thought to be an indicator of dysplasia.

I think that labs and spaniels can suffer from this.

I hope its not for either of us.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar thing with one of my springers.

She has had a couple of x-rays but nothing really shown up. She has got 6 weeks of no exercise (3 x 5mins on a lead per day!) and then see if that cures it.

Like you I don't think it will.

I suspect that it may be the start of elbow dysplasia as vet said something on one of the x-rays (I cant remember what it is called) is thought to be an indicator of dysplasia.

I think that labs and spaniels can suffer from this.

I hope its not for either of us.

It's totally cleared up now. I gave him a lot of rest, not even taking him for walks and he fine. He's back jumping and running around like a lunatic.

I'm starting to think and hoping that it was a new injury.

They out years on me I tell you. If only they could talk...