Rust on side plate

Mackenzie

I have some spots of rust on the side plates of one of my guns. Now it's only in spots however they are quite heavy. I don't want to go all out on it because I'm worried about scratching​ up all of the metal that is okay, anyone got any ideas.

hello, i did my S/S with a soft washing up pad, opposite side of sponge and white spirit, it takes of rust spots with out damadge the blueing and cleans any engraving, dry off and wipe with oily cloth

I'll have to try that my only concern is that some of this rust might be to bad for just a scrubber pad to remove

hello, my S/S did have some like you mentioned under the fore end but most just tinged brown a few goes like i mentioned worked but did leave a few tiny patchy marks on barrel bluing, you could try a jell rust spotter, my S/S had not been used for years and the internal grease had got very hard, hence a full strip/clean and re grease by a local gunsmith and my clean up now a nice shooting game gun, dont use that much but always dryed off cleaned with oily rag and put in sock in cabinet

I'll have to try that my only concern is that some of this rust might be to bad for just a scrubber pad to remove

You need to be careful not to remove colour from your action. In my experience the best product to use is Blue Wonder gell with 0000 steel wool (nothing courser) Unfortunately Blue Wonder rust remover is not available in the UK but can be bought mail order from the US. However a gunsmith told me that paraffin used with 0000 wool is almost as good. I stress do not use abrasive pads, they WILL remove colour and bluing!

You need to be careful not to remove colour from your action. In my experience the best product to use is Blue Wonder gell with 0000 steel wool (nothing courser) Unfortunately Blue Wonder rust remover is not available in the UK but can be bought mail order from the US. However a gunsmith told me that paraffin used with 0000 wool is almost as good. I stress do not use abrasive pads, they WILL remove colour and bluing!

I have successfully removed rust that you can feel from gun barrels, by light rubbing with cabinet makers fine 0000 grade wire wool, dipped in paraffin and light gun oil....without it affecting the blueing!

I dunno if it will remove colour hardening on locks and actions though? So if you try it......be careful!