Cartridge cases and dead birds

getthegat

I know this subject has been covered before (just found an old chat) but I've been out to a farm this morning and could not believe my eyes. Some disrespectful cretin had left dozens of empty cartridge cases and 10 or more dead pigeons, just scattered where the hide had been situated. I've been shooting for over 50 years and was brought up in the country where one respected the countryside and the birds and animals one shot. I've never come across this before. I value my shoots and the generosity of the land owners that give their permission. I worked hard to get my perms and always clear up properly and our family eats all the pigeons I shoot. I hope the farmer kicks who ever it was off his land and warns others. I'm furious. These idiots threaten our sport for the future.

I know this subject has been covered before (just found an old chat) but I've been out to a farm this morning and could not believe my eyes. Some disrespectful cretin had left dozens of empty cartridge cases and 10 or more dead pigeons, just scattered where the hide had been situated. I've been shooting for over 50 years and was brought up in the country where one respected the countryside and the birds and animals one shot. I've never come across this before. I value my shoots and the generosity of the land owners that give their permission. I worked hard to get my perms and always clear up properly and our family eats all the pigeons I shoot. I hope the farmer kicks who ever it was off his land and warns others. I'm furious. These idiots threaten our sport for the future.

hello, the farmer may not have realised this has happened ? there again he might see and decide to stop everyone, worth a thought???

Do so carefully once had a similar situation and the fool was later found to be the farmers son who could do no wrong and hence not sure how well my comments went down with the son or his dad but did not feel over welcome for a while

If that had been my farmer friends son , he would have got my boot and his fathers boot up his back side .

Harnser

I did clear as many of the other guys used cartridge case as I could pick and take away and have let the farmer know what I'd found. He said he would deal with the culprit and was thankful for the intel. He lost all his winter short rape and has thanked me for doing my bit at keeping the birds off the new drillings. I never take anything for granted and as a small business owner myself, realise that as a business, farming needs to make money and loss of crops must be stressful. It is possible that if shooters disrespect the land and wildlife in the way I discovered, then it is also possible these people would unknowingly damage hedgerows, crops, wild flowers and may not take just pigeons and corvids. Opportunities to shoot game often presents itself whilst in the field and anyone taking these creatures illegally, would also jeopardise our sport. I'm not saying these things are happening, but one or two country codes broken, could, lead to others. We are a small band of shooters in this country and the wider community is all to quick to jump on the "bash the hunter" band wagon; poor education being the main reasoning, but a few individuals can do a lot of harm. So enough ranting; calming down a bit, but it made me furious. Thanks for all your supportive replies.

What's done is done. I'd just clear up the cases and launch the carcasses out of sight under the hedge. Charlie or Brock and the flies will soon clear them up. I would then enquire about who was shooting there. Then take it from there when you know the score.

It is truly appalling to find cartridges in a hide position, made even worse by finding dead pigeons too.

Thankfully I have not seen this very often. When I did I took a photo on my phone and sent it to the farmer who I felt needed to know.

Westley you're my sort of guy. Love the humour on a sunny sunday morning :lol: We can't all be Geoff Garrod or Andy Crow. I miss a lot as well. The trick is to always have a battery of excuses ready. My current ones are age, eyesight, new gun and slept badly. My late lovely uncle used to say I'd given them "a severe attack of fright" Which leads to another subject; why are slow flying crows easy to miss and why when a pigeon lands on the ground and you scare it up, does one often then miss as it flies away sticking two feathers up at your efforts? I've done this often and seen many a youtube video of shooters doing the same.

Westley you're my sort of guy. Love the humour on a sunny sunday morning :lol: We can't all be Geoff Garrod or Andy Crow. I miss a lot as well. The trick is to always have a battery of excuses ready. My current ones are age, eyesight, new gun and slept badly. My late lovely uncle used to say I'd given them "a severe attack of fright" Which leads to another subject; why are slow flying crows easy to miss and why when a pigeon lands on the ground and you scare it up, does one often then miss as it flies away sticking two feathers up at your efforts? I've done this often and seen many a youtube video of shooters doing the same.

+1

The sport has already been ruined by idiots who pay money to farmers to clear their land of vermin

What's done is done. I'd just clear up the cases and launch the carcasses out of sight under the hedge. Charlie or Brock and the flies will soon clear them up. I would then enquire about who was shooting there. Then take it from there when you know the score.

about the best you can do.................. :good: otherwise you might stir up an ants nest..

The sport has already been ruined by idiots who pay money to farmers to clear their land of vermin

True, lost all my shooting, of 10 years due to people paying stupid amounts,and then putting decoys out 100 yards and taking shoots at 300 yard birds, you no who you are

Worse still- I was walking the dog with my two young grandchildren ,early one morning, past were a decoyer had been the previous afternoon, and where his hide had been, were two pigeons gasping for life still , surrounded by half a dozen dead ones & cartridges everywhere ! You can but imagine the reaction of the 5 & 6 year old kids ! I duly killed the two struggling birds .

Returning home furious, i rang the farmer ( who is a friend & neighbour ), who squeeked it was nothing to do with him , he only gave the chap permission & is not responsible for him. No wonder the public do not like shooters.

Been watching out for a bloke who must have been given permission by farmer(who often gives perm to anyone and paid the price of loosing gear but that's another story) now this bloke has a 4x4 with a roof lamp and easily spotted and I have spied it parked all over the area on different farms in the past year so my assumption is he a regular shooter if not a keeper and he knows the score when it comes to the countryside I even had the idea of having a word and offering to shoot with him bouncing the birds back and forth across the fields. Changed me mind about that idea !. .I have set out a few times to have a go at the pigeons/crows but this lad has beaten me to it :rolleyes: not a bother I just kick myself and move on. Went out the other week and HaHa beat him to it so of I set to get into position only to find scores of spent cartridges 3 starlings and a couple of pigeons so about turn and came away F in and blinding to myself first thoughts tell farmer but as he is a bizzy man decided to do nowt except text the farmer my location every time I have been on his place since obviously keeping well away from this lads dumping ground knowing full well the farmer will come across it in time as with all farmers they miss nowt on the ground they farm. Just to add I know this fella was shooting from this site two days before I found the dump of cartridges

Edited by scutt

I'm struggling to believe what you guys have experienced (shock horror; literally) I thought as in my 50 ish years of shooting, to have never experienced this before, that it was rare. Seems I was so wrong. Is it the "modern world" with it's apparent disregard for others, other peoples property and the "want it now and damn the future", mentality that exists far too often. It's total short sighted stupidity and endangers our sport and adding to the ruining of this beautiful country that we have the privilege to shoot in. Again it seems the few could put at risk, what the rest of us do our utmost to protect. So that's my opinion anyway and personally I would be devastated to loose my permissions over something that was not my fault.