beginners guide to rabbit shooting

ips

I have a one acre field with "some" rabbit on it. I am a clay and lately a game shooter however I have always had air rifles purely for plinking. I am thinking of some rabbit shooting purely for sport (also food for my working cocker if that's the done thing)

Anyway I need a beginners guide as to how to go about it. Best time of day, aim point, distance, cammo, were and how to set up, any info really.

I have an air arms S400 classic @12ft lbs and Hawke map scope. Also bsa lightning with appollo scope.

As I say I am a total novice at this type of shooting so after any info however obvious it may sound to seasoned shooters.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great post.

First thing to do is forget the gun and get the bins. Have a good watch, look for where the rabbits are coming and going, how many there are, and any possible contours in the ground you can use to your advantage.

Then you'll have a bit more of an idea how to proceed. As it's a small field, ambushing would be the way to go. Have a look at setting a natural hide out of similar foliage to the hedges with a limited profile sticking out. bunnies might get uneasy about a sudden bulge sticking out from the side where there wasn't one yesterday, so keep it narrow! It sounds like you're going to be a decent shot anyway, so i'd be more inclined to only take shot placement seriously and the rest just to enjoy yourself with it. Sounds like a fun activity! Where abouts in the world are you?

Have fun!

Down wind, got it 👍

Chris

Thanks for info, all useful stuff.

The rabbits seem to be at the top corner were the field rises a few yards and there is cover by way of holly and oak trees. The field has hedges on three sides and a paddock on one side. The wind is generally from this rise so amateur point about down wind should work well as it will mean I theoretically should be shooting into the bank so pellets will be contained with a safe backstop. All good so far then 👍

Without wishing to sound vain am a competent shot I am aware of windage and can shoot a close group even with a side wind (map scope is excellent for this)

I have a good log pile above the rise at the moment (currently cutting logs for log burner for next year) so they will be used to that, maybe build cover out of logs???

Thanks for replies so far, I appreciate it.

Ps

I am in rural lancashire

Down wind, got it

Chris

Thanks for info, all useful stuff.

The rabbits seem to be at the top corner were the field rises a few yards and there is cover by way of holly and oak trees. The field has hedges on three sides and a paddock on one side. The wind is generally from this rise so amateur point about down wind should work well as it will mean I theoretically should be shooting into the bank so pellets will be contained with a safe backstop. All good so far then

Without wishing to sound vain am a competent shot I am aware of windage and can shoot a close group even with a side wind (map scope is excellent for this)

I have a good log pile above the rise at the moment (currently cutting logs for log burner for next year) so they will be used to that, maybe build cover out of logs???

Thanks for replies so far, I appreciate it.

Ps

I am in rural lancashire

call a spade a spade; if you're a good shot already it means we can skip out telling you to practise on targets first!

The pile of logs sounds like a good place to start. I like to keep my hides a bit messy and unkempt - it looks more natural that way.

Thanks Chris.

I reckon I can set up a log pile hide within 30 - 40 yds, I assume that's a good distance for a clean kill with a headshot ? (forgot yo say .177 if it makes a difference) clean kill is essential for me.

What is best time, hour before dark ??

Thanks Chris.

I reckon I can set up a log pile hide within 30 - 40 yds, I assume that's a good distance for a clean kill with a headshot ? (forgot yo say .177 if it makes a difference) clean kill is essential for me.

What is best time, hour before dark ??

30-40yrds should be good with .177

If you can lay up and ambush them, try and leave them where they lay until sessions over.

A bit of observation at different times will let you see when there's most rabbits about.

Hi ips, have you got on top of the moles now so moving onto the rabbits ☺ won't really matter what time of day you shoot but they need to be moving about obviously, I always preferred evening because then you don't need to be up early but if the sun is out then you will quite often find them out feeding.

One thing to think about is if there not doing damage and your just shooting them because you can maybe let them breed so more about later on,

Mice!

Thanks taxi driver, evening is better for me as we have stables in adjoining field so folk around during the day.

Will have a reccy over next few days. I also have pigeon in the trees above were rabbits are but as I have no justifiable reason I suspect I will have to leave them 😉

Thanks mice.

The moles are less now although I never did get around to putting traps down due to severe rain and flooded field 😞

Ha, probably. The whole area is having a mole problem so I fear unless everyone traps or whatever we will just constantly be moving them on.

Re the dog. Good steady training BUT sitting still in a hide would be a challenge for her to say the least 😁

Ha ha, maybe they drowned?? You could take a few pigeons if no rabbits about good training for your dog then in the frying pan

Just a comment on the frying pan -I've been de-breasting pigeon for a good while when I shot the odd one, but last time, I put the bird in a plastic shopping bag and plucked, beheaded and de-legged it inside the bag - oh - and gutted it. This took only a couple of minutes tops and I had a nice whole bird and all of the rubbish was easily tied up and thrown in the bin. Now the bit I wanted to get to....

I made a home made quick stuffing with some fried onions (two small ones about the size of a billiard ball, and I squidged these into some wholemeal bread, just crumbling and squashing the whole mass together - oil from the pan, onion and bread and I also liberally sprinkled black pepper onto it and mixed it in. I stuffed the bird with this and roasted the bird, wrapped in foil in an oven at 180c for twenty minutes.

It was absolutely stunningly good. One of the best game meals I have had in ages. I'll never just de-breast a pigeon again.

Edited by Evilv

Thanks taxi driver, evening is better for me as we have stables in adjoining field so folk around during the day.

Will have a reccy over next few days. I also have pigeon in the trees above were rabbits are but as I have no justifiable reason I suspect I will have to leave them

Thanks mice.

The moles are less now although I never did get around to putting traps down due to severe rain and flooded field

Sorry but have to say, backstop, backstop.

You need to ensure your pellet does not leave your boundary after a pass through, miss or ricochet.

Pigeons in trees would be no for me.

be patient when you sit at your log pile, significant results can come by waiting and not moving around a lot if you have little cover. never ceases to amaze me that people get bored after 10 minutes of waiting and start moving from one spot to another. if you are near horsy paddocks they will probably be used to people being around and this will help you a little. my usual approach is to sit in one spot for a while then ambush/stalk slowly and quietly and downwind as said. you will know when they wind you, head up then gone, your fieldcraft will come in time. i shoot a good few horse paddock, one of them as i drive on i pass the owners garden on a track and shoot them out the vehicle window as i move along until i get down to the main paddock parking. as old man says safe backstop. i cannot shoot free standing as i am rubbish and always need a rest if i cannot get on the floor due to shot not being safe . i carry a light set of sticks and use them if i cannot get on a fence post. if i can get on a rest i am fine and shots not a problem. i shoot a AA s410 in .177 and does the job fine, real flat trajectory, very accurate. Point and squirt as it were!

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Thanks 7days, good info again 👍

I have worked out the best place to shoot from to ensure a safe backstop with no chance of pellets leaving my land. It is also tucked in a corner so in the unlikely event of anyone walking down the lane (which is other end of field 200yds away) I will not be visible. I have today started to build a hide of sorts so when its finished prob tomorrow I will post a pic 😁

Forgot to ask.

My 400 groups the best with accupels, are they ok for rabbit and pigeon or is there a better option as far as clean kills are concerned. I plan on 30yd shots definitely no more than 40yd in fact while were on the subject what is considered max distance for clean kill (head shot) am I in the right ball park. ??

Hi mate, what I would do is get some off cuts say 4*1 or similar put targets on them and position them at 20,30 and 40 yards don't aim at one point fire say 3 shots at 9pm centre and 3pm don't hold over for the 40, this will show you how much penetration your getting at the different ranges and also the drop at 40.

I do use accupels but in .22 as for the range 40 yards should be ok so long as you know you can hit the mark but always the possibility you can get a runner so try not to be shooting at max range if there sat right by the burrow as they can jump run and drop when there down the hole.

If you just aim at the same point it will give you the drop and therefore the hold over you need probably not too much with you using a .177.

As the young will be running about soon leave those to scamper about it gives the bigger bunnies confidence all is ok and will quite often charge through the young or suddenly just appear when your watching that robin

Hi IPs , welcome to bunny bashing,, i ambush all my rabbits all i do is sit close to the hedge/ or trees

on a camping stool, i use primos tripod shooting sticks and shoot a daystate huntsman classic .20 cal with H&N FTT pellets 11.5 fpe

out to a max range of 50 yrds. i do not use a hide i find aslong i am down wind keep very still and very patient

the bunnys appear, i do not shoot the first one as this encourages other rabbits all is safe, for longer shots i have a 40 fpe fac daystate airranger .22cal good for 70---80 yds, good luck and happy shooting!!!

atb brian

I do find using a face cover and camo gloves does help. I dont use hides but I can get as close as 15 yds of the bunnies by keeping low, downwind and moving slowly. Also, being lower than them helps. Their eyes are good at spotting movement above their eyeline but not so good looking down.

Thanks for info gentlemen.

My log wall is complete I will be adding some conifer off cuts to the front and shoot through those. The rabbits seem to graze just to the left of my log store shed so about 30-35yd I would think.

WP_20170417_17_50_05_Pro_zpsglzmwmme.jpg

WP_20170417_17_49_24_Pro_zpsb3wr3dpb.jpg

Edited by ips