beginners guide to rabbit shooting

ips

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La bala

Will do, rifle hasn't been shot for about three years so will need to check zero 👍

Also need to get bottle filled as rifle is only showing 150 bar but from memory I think it only starts dropping power at about 110bar so should be ok for thirty or so shots.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I am nearly ready for first outing, been too busy for the last week or so plus I have had / still got man flu.

This may be another daft question but here goes. Is it bad form to shoot a juvenile rabbit, if so how big / old does it need to be to be considered a justifiable quarry.

Ok I am nearly ready for first outing, been too busy for the last week or so plus I have had / still got man flu.

This may be another daft question but here goes. Is it bad form to shoot a juvenile rabbit, if so how big / old does it need to be to be considered a justifiable quarry.

This is entirely personal. There is no form. There's only one thing to consider: why are you doing it?

If you're shooting rabbits because you need to get rid of them, then shoot away.

If you're just shooting for a bit of fun, or the odd bunny for the pot, I'd leave the kits - wait until they're bigger and actually worth eating!

I don't really see any moral angle; they're an introduced pest species, so technically they shouldn't really be here anyway :)

Edited by chrisjpainter

Thank you, just wanted to check. Driven game is full of ettiquette (as you will know) so wasn't sure if things in pest control were considered bad form.

I think your explanation re the reasons one is shooting them makes sense. I shall draw the line at rabbit version of 16yrs. 😁

Cheers

It depends on what you've been asked, its your land so different most of what I used to shoot fed the ferrets, if it was someone's garden or on horse land say they may just want as much as possible shot, also if you shoot all the little ones there won't be many left come winter

All very good advice given :good: and with your experience you will have no problem.

Keep your movement slow and low and you be surprised how close you can get,have even walked across middle of meadow as they all run in 30 ish and just laid rucksack down as a rest had 20 minutes dreaming and then out they come,you can get one and maybe his mate and if really lucky a third thats just confused.

So 20 minutes wait after shot and back they come.

Good luck,top rifle and caliber :yes:

Cheers vampire apologies for late reply.

I am about to set off for first outing, saw a few rabbit yesterday evening but they were juvenile. Having built my log hide I have had a change of plan for various logistical reasons and am now shooting from a different area in longish grass so hope to be hidden. Backstop is much better from the new position with no chance of a stray pellet. Might only get to check zero on the rifles but nowt on tv and dogs had her exercise 😁

Will report back.

Ps

Neighbouring stables has asked me to sort out the squirrels as there nicking the food out of bird feeders. Don't think a shot will be clear from my new position though.

After deliberation I reverted back to plan A and set up behind log hide.

WP_20170509_20_29_46_Pro_zps4edsfron.jpg

Set a target at 30 yds and took the first shot with this rifle in about 7 yrs. There was no wind, I knew I hadn't pulled the shot but poi was to the right, gave windage adjustment 4 clicks left and took 4 more shots.

WP_20170509_20_28_40_Pro_zpsmzsj48pn.jpg

Lay there for about an hour and fifteen having taken half an hour to set up and zero. Two partridge walked past fifteen yards away followed by a cock pheasant, two pigeon landed in the tree directly above my head, two rabbits grazing in the adjoining field 30 yds away.

No animals or birds were killed during the making of this post. No rabbit stew was consumed but I have had a reccy, zeroed the rifle and had a jolly good time.

Some questions

I have a home made rile stand but i think I need a bipod, which one ??

Do folk generally use a PA scope or use a fixed like my 3-9 x 40 and use experience to gauge distance ??

Accupells ok or is there a better option for clean kill bearing in mind the AA groups very tight with them. ??

Is there a "best" time of day for rabbit shooting, as in x hours before dusk. ??

Edited by ips

Some questions

I have a home made rile stand but i think I need a bipod, which one ??

I never used a bipod,had a jumbo rod rest that i used standing/crouching or laying prone,got 3 so experimented with shape and length.

Do folk generally use a PA scope or use a fixed like my 3-9 x 40 and use experience to gauge distance ??

Its up to you,i started with same as you and just learnt ranges where i shot or bracket method,you soon learn on a target/post clod etc.

Accupells ok or is there a better option for clean kill bearing in mind the AA groups very tight with them. ??

Nothing wrong with accupells i used superfield,accuracy is everything,but always be ready for follow up shot.

Cheers.

Bracket method ??

Jumbo rod rest. ??

Get a rabbit side on in the the scope on the horizontal dots at a known distance,count dots = distance.

Fishing,its a telescopic rest with a jumbo rest on top shaped like a the gap between fore finger and thumb

As the venerable ips says a lot of stuff comes with experience, pa scopes are nice and I use one now on my 97k, but the less moving you do the less chance of spooking the quarry.

I shot for many years with a 4x40 scope because that's what I had, I still keep a couple handy for some old school fun in the garden.

Best time for rabbits is normally after sunup and before sundown. But I've seen then running around all day here on the farm, usually when I don't have a gun with me...

As for bipod, no opinion as I use sticks with the Ultra and anything sturdy with the 97K.

Accupell's have accounted for lots of quarry through my air guns.

Edited by manthing

Thanks manthing.

I will stick wit my map scope and experiment wth bracketing as vampire exlained. I have had pa scopes in the past and found them very good for range finding on ft stuff but I suspect by the time you have worked it all out Mr bunny has had it on his toes 😁

As for the bipod I might go down the rucksack idea like vampire uses but a small game bag instead.

Well bit of a result today. My keeper mate called for a brew and a catch up and I have secured rabbiting in one area of the estate around a pen mainly over a cover crop which will be planted end of this month. I am free to shoot there whenever I want. I dog in for my keeper from Aug to Nov so we have a good relationship. Proper chuffed with that 👍

Questions

Is it worth getting an FAC air rifle. ?

If so do I buy a new FAC rifle or have my AA400 tuned ?

If the latter how do I go about this and what ft lb can I expect ?

If I get an FAC can I still use it on my one acre field ?

Expect many more cries for advice once I start shooting on estate and more advice on the FAC aspect.

Ps

Apparently the area will be teeming with them, oh and I also get access to a small wooded area on a mound which is allegedly a ruined roundel.

Personally, I'd say no to the first, thus making all the others redundant! Here's why:

There are so few times when an FAC-air is a better gun to have than either a sub 12 air rifle or a rimfire rifle. You don't gain a great deal of advantage in terms of range with an FAC-air - it's not for example a case of double the power for double the range, far from it. Having a rimfire on the other hand gives you significant advantages IF the land is cleared for it. You will get increased range and impact energy and if you're using a .22lr they're still subsonic so can be made whisper quiet as well

Land has to be cleared for FAC (even FAC-air). If the land's not covered, you're committing an offence by using one on it. It's highly unlikely you'd get even Rimfire (and probably not even FAC-Air) clearance on a 1 acre field and I'd be amazed if you'd actually need it. Given that, if you were to look for an FAC to use on the estate you'd have to keep your sub12 gun anyway, so now you're looking at two air rifles. FAC air guns eat power like there's no tomorrow, so you're you're having to fill up more often and if you're filling up from a diver's bottle, they cost to get refilled, so that's an added expense. They're also more expensive than getting a rimfire (although the ammo's cheaper and has no restriction on number) and there are far fewer out there to choose from.

The estate would almost certainly be cleared for rimfire already. I would be more inclined to have a chat with your keeper mate and look into applying for a rimfire slot if you need more than what can be delivered by a sub12 air rifle.

Edited by chrisjpainter

Thanks Chris

Great info. Makes sense what you say.

Estate is cleared for whatever they use for fox and I know the keeper has 22 rimfire and .17 summat.

Maybe I should see this year out and find out if I can manage with the AA at 12ft lb

Incidentally anyone had one of these and are they any good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00I1UAFE2/ref=mp_s_a_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1494432971&sr=8-6&keywords=air+rifle+bipod

Ps

Will a bipod be advantageous or just shoot from the hand, prone ??

We have a AA fac,its quieter than the 22lr,its as accurate,it kills at 100 yrds easy,99% less ricochet,cheaper to feed, only negative is its dearer to buy.

The cz 22lr hasn't been used since we got the fac air,its either the air or .17hmr.

If you do paddock style shooting then i would say go fac air,been totally stunned by its performance and wouldn't have believed an air rifle could perform as well.

See if you can try both before investing/selling.

Love my FAC air,

Has made my 22lr redundant as I only shoot rabbits over 40-50 yards.

Don't buy a new one as the market is limited so they're harder to move on, If you have yours converted to FAC there's some debate as to wether you can ever have it downgraded to sub 12ft/lb again.

Question

Lets assume I bag four rabbit (or whatever) what's the general accepted method of disposing of them.

Had a reccy today on the estate cover crop is ploughed ready but grass left on edges near the woods has an active population so off for first session next couple of days. Its an ideal spot very beautiful views and totally isolated.

Eat them is always the first shout surely- you can put them in the freezer if you only get a couple, and save them up till you have enough for a meal.

With squirrels then I leave them in a hedge well away from the pheasant pens- in the hope the fox will go there instead. Your keeper friend may also want some for decoying magpies, baiting larsons, baiting foxes or feeding ferrets?

I know that BASC advise burning or burying dead vermin but I have yet to meet a keeper who does that religiously, or at all!