One wheatear and two swallows don't make a summer.....

Wilksy II

But they go a long way to making a great day's shooting in the Lincolnshire wolds even better!

I was kindly invited by Jdog to share his land and knowledge again, nothing was nailed on as he had just return from a weeks work down in the Cotswolds but he was confident we would get some shooting somewhere.

We set off at 10:30 to see what had gone on in his absence, plenty of drilling as it turned out! Peas and beans! (Not much on top mind) but no pigeons! A quick word with the farmer and off again to some more fields that on closer inspection were covered in beans!

Four fields in close proximity all beans looking very pigeony.

it was about 11:30 and we found a few down and few flighting so we decided to set up along a patchy hawthorn hedge about 30yrds apart with the wind and the glorious spring sun on our backs, the pigeons disappeared after one each and the fear was we had dived in to soon but the odd pigeon came and kept us shooting.

A strong line developed far to jdog's left and had us wondering were it was going so at 2pm we down tools for a look, they seemed to be just flitting between woods with no interest in decoying, curiosity satisfied we returned to our shooting...... well Jdog did I completely lost my consentration and couldn't hit a cow backside with a banjo, Jdog however shot some absolute pearlers,bettering each bird it seemed, some did decoy but the majority just came for a nosy.

Jdog decided the rotary was possibly doing more harm than good and turned it off, a wise move, the birds came in more readily, we decided to wrap up about 5pm with 30 shot and 27 picked, jasper worked brilliantly picking birds that fell out of sight, not a massive bag but a very enjoyable one, thanks again Jdog!

What a treat, the first birdy migrant of the spring was a Wheatear and we had great views of it feeding on a caterpillar or something. Then came two swallows chattering over the field we were in.

Then to the pigeons. The peas and beans on one farm were in but there were none on top. Onto an estate nearby and glory be, four fields of beans with lots on top. However the many pigeons we saw flew completely over the beans and came back from another farm full of barley. Why do they do that?

This was a day for shooting testing long range birds. At one stage my companion put his gun in it's slip as he was exasperated by his performance. He was just unused to such difficult birds. I know he can shoot, particularly flighted birds.

A great day to be out shooting pigeons with a buddy.

Great to read a report whilst sat here in my caravan- thanks for that Wilksy, good read.

Those long range pigeons can be very de moralising at times JDog has seen me miss a few lately too.

Up here in North Yorkshire there are lots of pigeons, and I mean lots on fresh drilling and no one is shooting them!!

Nice to see the Wheatear,,,quite thrush like in their action. BTW,,do you know the story of its name and the Victorian urge to "clean up " anything remotely smutty ?

Yes it was a rare treat, I would not have known what I was looking at if Jdog hadn't have said, I've looked it up , it was lumped in with the thrush family but now thought to be in with the flycatcher family, and the rough translation is white ar** referring to its white rump,

Great to read a report whilst sat here in my caravan- thanks for that Wilksy, good read.

Those long range pigeons can be very de moralising at times JDog has seen me miss a few lately too.

Up here in North Yorkshire there are lots of pigeons, and I mean lots on fresh drilling and no one is shooting them!!

Cheers agaman! Jdog said you'd been frustrated last time out with him which made me feel slightly better haha!

It's a good job you got a good day under your belt before you went then otherwise you'd popping home for your kit! You've picked a cracking week weather wise mate, enjoy it!

Edited by Wilksy II

Great result, it's not always about the shooting but the banter. Don't worry about the distance shots anybody can hit them with a 30 inch circle and yard long the difficult ones are fifteen feet and a four inch ????????????

Very true pc Jdog is always great company and I was missing everything for a spell even a wounded one on the deck!