What's wrong with people?

Lloyd90

My sister having a clear out put a children's toy train table (plus while train set) online totally free to collect. Her son is too old for it and she just wanted someone to get some use out of it. It wasn't a cheap table.

Some woman messaged her telling her "you need to bring it to my house" etc. We were almost shocked.

When my sister told her that someone else has already arranged to come and collect it the woman then starts moaning how she had messaged 10 mins ago and my sister didn't get back to her quick enough 😂

Are people really this rude and stupid these days?

I gave away a couple of decent tyres last year on freecycle. The woman who got in first let me down with lame excuses two nights running (the second night I changed plans to be there for when she didnt turn up). When I responded to her second load of excuses by saying that someone else would be having them she sent her husband and son round straight away to collect, and when I sent them away empty handed she had a meltdown at me.

Very odd when you're trying to literally give something away.

My neighbour advertised a kids climbing frame free on freebay gumtree, or whatever, a few years back. The people who came to collect it were openly discussing how much they thought they would get for it. Absolutely no attempt to conceal it.

Edited by Vince Green

Guest cookoff013

My neighbour advertised a kids climbing frame free on freebay gumtree, or whatever, a few years back. The people who came to collect it were openly discussing how much they thought they would get for it. Absolutely no attempt to conceal it.

Yep.

Take it then sell it ASAP.

Whenever I've got rid of anything for free on FB or Freecycle I list it as being outside my house and the first person to come and get it wins it (and I ask that they then update the post as "collected and gone"), else you are waiting in forever wasting your own time to do someone else a favour.

There is a prevailing sense of entitlement though.

Did anyone see the program about benefits last week, or rather more specifically the bedroom tax. The documentary did it's best to be objective, but of all the cases listed and documented, the people themselves "outted" themselves. There was a builder with a hand injury that had stopped him working for 9 years (but not from playing Wii or table fussball). And in those 9 years he'd squeezed out some kids - well he's entitled to have children that other people should pay for, right? Anyhoos he was moaning that because he couldn't get 16 hours work a week they had chopped his living allowance down. Scroll on, the chop in his living allowance was the same as what he spent on beer and fags each week. Yes, he paid £40 per week on beer and fags - but that money was different, was his to spend and he didn't see why he should be chipping it in to pay his rent. The conviction he had on the subject was breath taking - that was his money and he could spend it on beer and fags, and he shouldn't have to put it towards rent.

There not all bad, we moved house a while ago and previous occupiers had left a washing machine which we didn't need, on free cycle gone that day couple were delighted as there's had just broken.

Wife puts most stuff the kids have grown out of for a quid or so to keep the cheap nutters away and if they don't show when said it goes elsewhere

After a bad experience tryng to give some as new items to a hospice charity shop (a very rude lady) I now default back to what I did before ....... Give to friend or family, Store it for possible future use or bin it but first ensuring it is beyond repair / use.

Whenever I've got rid of anything for free on FB or Freecycle I list it as being outside my house and the first person to come and get it wins it (and I ask that they then update the post as "collected and gone"), else you are waiting in forever wasting your own time to do someone else a favour

Super idea.... had so many time wasters in the past. Thats what ill do next time.

My mum works as a helper in a local charity shop. A staggeringly high percentage of what they get given goes straight in the bin out the back. They say a polite thank you then bin it after the person has gone.

The funny thing is though they have a magic bin because most of the stuff they put in during the day disappears before the next morning

Edited by Vince Green

I sold a shed on the local Facebook page last Easter, it sold at the asking price then the 'buyer' asked if I wouldn't mind holding onto it until September as they were waiting to move house! I told them if it wasn't gone that afternoon someone else was happy to pay more and take it away that day.

Sure they enough they arrived an hour later moaning like hell that they didn't know what they were going to do with it.

What's wrong with people?

I presume for the same reason some think it's perfectly acceptable to book a restaurant and then cancel at short notice without a care in the world.

Perhaps my sister should have asked for a holding fee for the free item :lol: