When it works, it works

Longstrider

My permission had an 80-odd acre field drilled with Spring wheat last week. Just in time for the birds to find it and get settled into it before the weekend arrived and I could get out and have words with them.

I had a couple of dozen pigeon shell decoys with me and a dozen full bodied crow decoys. Seeing how many of each species was already on the filed when I arrived I thought "What the Hell" and put the lot out. Crows to the right of the hide and pigeons to the left.

I will usually concentrate on one species or the other, putting perhaps just a couple of crow decoys out as 'confidence tricksters' a little way off from the main pattern of pigeon decoys, but with the whole lot out the birds just wouldn't turn away :)

Having had to move to the opposite side of the field at lunchtime because the sun was in my eyes, I ended the day with 118 blackies, 32 pigeon and very warm barrels :)

Do any of you guys mix the decoys up like this ?

My permission had an 80-odd acre field drilled with Spring wheat last week. Just in time for the birds to find it and get settled into it before the weekend arrived and I could get out and have words with them.

I had a couple of dozen pigeon shell decoys with me and a dozen full bodied crow decoys. Seeing how many of each species was already on the filed when I arrived I thought "What the Hell" and put the lot out. Crows to the right of the hide and pigeons to the left.

I will usually concentrate on one species or the other, putting perhaps just a couple of crow decoys out as 'confidence tricksters' a little way off from the main pattern of pigeon decoys, but with the whole lot out the birds just wouldn't turn away :)

Having had to move to the opposite side of the field at lunchtime because the sun was in my eyes, I ended the day with 118 blackies, 32 pigeon and very warm barrels :)

Do any of you guys mix the decoys up like this ?

Great bag, I always have 1-2 crows 15-20 yards to the side depending on wind I like to think the woodies feel safer coz the crows r there and there smart birds

I would question anyone that thinks that a woodpigeon knows that crows are clever.

I don't use crow decoys to decoy woodies.

I can see where you're coming from Motty, but don't you think that a couple of crows could possibly give a more convincing overall picture to incoming pigeons ? After all, if there's food for one species there's often food for both.

I think the biggest draw to decoys is opening a can of coke or fumbling for sandwiches. Almost 100% guaranteed to just catch the tail end of a woody at that exact moment.

Slightly less attractive but a strong draw to them is when the wife calls to see when your coming home.

Edited by GingerCat

I can see where you're coming from Motty, but don't you think that a couple of crows could possibly give a more convincing overall picture to incoming pigeons ? After all, if there's food for one species there's often food for both.

Exactly I'm not saying pigeons no there clever I like to think they do and would therefore feel safer approaching my pattern