Fly fishing washing line technique with sinking lines ????

Ferret664

Hi just wondering if anyone uses the washing line technique with sinking lines for those bright days when the trout are ? And how do you detect takes? Do you count down the flies and start a slow figure of eight and occasionally long draw for the sink and rise with the booby ?or just let them hit the bottom (booby on point holding them off the bottom) and slowly tweak them back ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ferret

I have only used this method with a floating line, a large sedge (or similar) on the point and 2 nymphs or buzzers on the droppers. I have seen it used with a sinking line though, using a Booby on the point and either blobs or nymphs on the droppers. The Booby stops the point fly from snagging the bottom. I should imagine a slow figure of 8 retrieve and I really do think you would certainly 'feel' the take.

Hi thanks for the reply. . I tried it on Saturday with a di5 in about 35 foot of water as it was bright on grafham .

Had a large booby on point and 2 blood worms on droppers I was using a slow figure of eight and occasionally a long pull or 2' to get the sink and rise effect from the bloodworms from the booby any more then 2 pulls and the blood worms were catching bottom as the had weed on them . Think next time I will count them down and start a very slow retrieve as I left them a minute or two so they were just sitting off the bottom . Also I'm so used to watching the loop from my top eye to the water for takes it seems weird just trying to feel for them ? I did have success on the booby taking two fish after a long draw

What works on the day :yes: I have used the system most successfully with a floating line. I also have an old sink tip and tied some big blobs, putting one on the point to hold the line up. Took a number of fish on the drop ..... even on the blob :whistling::good:

HEATHEN ! :rolleyes:

Works well with an intermediate too a FAB on the point and a couple of droppers with buzzers or nymphs etc cast out a couple of pulls to straighten everything out then slow fig of 8 retrieve with intervals of leaving the flies static works well for me. Have also had success with intermediate line booby on point one dropper nymph and a splitshot a foot away from the booby and varied rates of retrieve including some erratic fast slow pulls. A far cry from a bit of light upstream dry fly fishing with little dries which I also enjoy but the right tools for the right jobs catches the fish. If going that deep I would ditch the bloodworms and fish a booby / FAB / egg fly / floating fry on a short leader static with the odd pull. I have caught fish with a 10 inch leader before just choose based on how far up you want the fly to rise to. Would quite like a bash at Graftham, big pike in there too?

Edited by Andra

Works well with an intermediate too a FAB on the point and a couple of droppers with buzzers or nymphs etc cast out a couple of pulls to straighten everything out then slow fig of 8 retrieve with intervals of leaving the flies static works well for me. Have also had success with intermediate line booby on point one dropper nymph and a splitshot a foot away from the booby and varied rates of retrieve including some erratic fast slow pulls. A far cry from a bit of light upstream dry fly fishing with little dries which I also enjoy but the right tools for the right jobs catches the fish. If going that deep I would ditch the bloodworms and fish a booby / FAB / egg fly / floating fry on a short leader static with the odd pull. I have caught fish with a 10 inch leader before just choose based on how far up you want the fly to rise to. Would quite like a bash at Graftham, big pike in there too?

I find this method does work better with a couple of Kilo's of .....................................er..................GROUNDBAIT ! :ninja:

Don't want to ditch the bloodworms as I only really like to fish with buzzers and nymphs only use the booby on point to hold them off the bottom was just wondering if anyone knew how to fish this well on a fast sinker when the fish are really deep . Don't fish with blobs and that lot aren't my style but if people want to fish them hey whatever catches fish

Ferret

What water are you on? Successful washing line depends what the fish want and what depth they are holding at. It allows you to work this out fairly well so all you need to know now is size of flies, colours, size of booby eyes, speed of drift, which line, speed of leader sink, spacing of flies on leader, speed of retrieve, ledges and drop offs, sunshine or cloud, wind speed and what your boat partner had for tea the night before. Easy eh? Tight lines.

Savages for lumps on black or claret buzzers or in fact anywhere along the north shore. Try a floater with a long leader (20ft) and cut the booby eyes down with scissors so a heavyweight buzzer/short dressed hare's ear fished about 2-3ft away from it can make it sink ultra slow and just keep up with it on the drift. Might need to experiment a bit but it works. I tie all the usual booby patterns (tequila, woofta etc) but down to a size 14 so exactly the same but in miniature. If it doesnt work then pull a di5 and a shuggie or 2 - at least get you'll string pulled.

Savages for lumps on black or claret buzzers or in fact anywhere along the north shore. Try a floater with a long leader (20ft) and cut the booby eyes down with scissors so a heavyweight buzzer/short dressed hare's ear fished about 2-3ft away from it can make it sink ultra slow and just keep up with it on the drift. Might need to experiment a bit but it works. I tie all the usual booby patterns (tequila, woofta etc) but down to a size 14 so exactly the same but in miniature. If it doesnt work then pull a di5 and a shuggie or 2 - at least get you'll string pulled.

I've fished grafham last 2 weekends had great results 7 first time 10 second . First time all fell to buzzers and daiwl bach straight lining

Second time 7 to boobies 2 on washing line but both took boobies nothing on nymphs on a di5 had 3 others on buzzers and nymphs again straight line nymphing later in the day . I was fishing the washing line anchored 18 foot leader first bloodworm 9 foot then 4 foot to second then 4 foot to booby