AOLQ - is it still a thing?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did ask for it,they wouldn't give it to me. Thanks for the link I may mither them tomorrow

:)

I had the same but asked before this guidance. I will insist that it is added when I go for my open ticket later. Is it right that there is a right of appeal to refusals for variations?

So my 223 is only conditioned for fox on a closed ticket, your saying I can shoot crows or deer where legal? (cwd and mutjac in england/Wales and roe in scotland) if that's the case, where does it say? I've always been told to go by what's on your ticket, my says fox on one and vermin on the other so that's all I've done. I'd love to shoot crows with the 223 because on one per you can't get close enough with the hmr

Are forces only giving AOLQ on an open ticket ? Mines been open for years and guess its just Gloucestershire's policy not to word this. AOLQ does get interesting when you have a .22 centrefire,it certainly throws out any extra conditions a force may put on your license to shoot deer.

One thing has to be remembered and that is the home office guidelines are just that, surely its law to obey what's on your FAC, the police put those conditions on, if you ignore those conditions its the police who will revoke your license. There will always be the right to appeal, but is it worth it, you may not win, just a friendly chat with the FEO will always be the best solution.

Edited by Redgum

I had the same but asked before this guidance. I will insist that it is added when I go for my open ticket later. Is it right that there is a right of appeal to refusals for variations?

This is where it gets stupid though, we are in the same force area and I got aolq on both my cf's and vermin on my rf's. What was the reason for not having aolq on your ticket?

Redgum,

Open or restricted the aolq has no bearing on that at all.

Edited by ShootingEgg

• 4 months later...

Recently renewed my open fac and added .222 cf.

Have .22LR conditioned for zeroing,vermin and AOLQ.

" .17hmr " " " " FOX and AOLQ.

now also have .222 c/f conditioned for zeroing and Fox.

Also asked for AOLQ and vermin at renewal for .222 and was refused A.O.L.Q because I have 'gone up a calibre'.

My questions are why should going up a calibre deny me AOLQ for the .222 and would shooting Corvids and rabbits with .222 contravene my licence conditions?

Having now received my licence(Mersyside) I am intrigued to know why and what if....

Edit..

Having also now not got vermin conditioned for my c/f I have sent an email to FEO for clarificatin and reasoning, will post response when I get one.

Edited by Good shot?

Recently renewed my open fac and added .222 cf.

Have .22LR conditioned for zeroing,vermin and AOLQ.

" .17hmr " " " " FOX and AOLQ.

now also have .222 c/f conditioned for zeroing and Fox.

Asked for AOLQ at renewal for .222 and was refused because I have 'gone up a calibre'.

My questions are why should going up a calibre deny me AOLQ for the .222 and would shooting Corvids and rabbits with .222 contravene my licence conditions?

Having now received my licence(Mersyside) I am intrigued to know why and what if....

So what did they say when you asked, "why should going up a calibre deny me AOLQ for the .222" ?

If its only conditioned for zeroing and fox then that is all you can do with it!

The way I read it :)

There is a difference between asking for a calibre for a reason and what is legal. The table refers to the guideline calibre's for particular target species. It does not say that lesser calibres cannot be used only that they would not normally be sanctioned for that quarry. They are all legal as there is nothing in law to say otherwise. I guess the risk is if you have a wounded animal you are more open to a suggestion of cruelty if you use less than the recommended calibre. 13.25 sets out;

22 Rimfires are generally considered as having insufficient muzzle energy to be used against foxes in most circumstances. However, these could be suitable for use at short range by experienced persons, and may be permitted in certain situations such as around farm buildings or paddocks. It is for the operator to ensure that the quarry species are shot at the appropriate range with the appropriate ammunition to achieve a humane kill.

Suggesting that if you had a situation of foxes around buildings you might be issued a .22rf for fox as a special situation. Not that I think I would want to use a .22rf anywhere near a building.

Why not?

I get called to deal with lots in peoples back gardens, surprisingly often in turn of the century terrace homes back gardens, with pocket handkerchief gardens. I shoot many more foxes with rimfires, including .22LR than centrefires.

Often round farm houses, country houses, stables, farm buildings, barns, chicken coops, etc., etc., as well.

As with all things shooting, risk assess and use the most appropriate calibre/ammo! :good:

Just to correct some of the observations earlier on this thread, and good news for some on here: Gloucestershire are NOW reintroducing AOLQ to come into line with other forces and HO guidance. Common sense prevails at long last.

Edited by Savhmr

• 2 weeks later...

Collected my new tickets this week. Had put in for a variation to buy a .204 for foxing as my FAC stated that I was not allowed to use my .270 for this quarry.

Not only did I get the .204 added, but they've put down 'Deer and 'AOLQ' for the .270 as well. No rush to spend my saved-up rum tokens on a new gun then ...

Edited by Longstrider

Collected my new tickets this week. Had put in for a variation to buy a .204 for foxing as my FAC stated that I was not allowed to use my .270 for this quarry.

Not only did I get the .204 added, but they've put down 'Deer and 'AOLQ' for the .270 as well. No rush to spend my saved-up rum tokens on a new gun then ...

:good: Makes a lot of sense not allowing a .270 for fox as you cant guarantee being able to identify that is was a fox once a 130 grain soft point has done its work :lol: