Help from stick makers please! Varnish changing colour of paint

Big Al

I have shaped a stick handle for next season's beating stick. I know it's a bit crude compared to most work on here but it'll do me.

Here's the problem. If I varnish it, the paint turns a darker colour (see the varnished scrap in the picture. )

20170413_115122_zpsvclmjjo1.jpg

Is there another finish I can use other than yacht varnish that won't darken down the paint. I want the colour as it is. Paint is acrylic.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Big Al

I know little about 'stick making' but to me the orange used on the bill actually look's lighter on your test piece. The grey obviously has turned a darker shade. Is it the same wood though.? Your greylag head and test piece are they different pieces/types of wood.? Would nail varnish not do the job? Just a suggestion!

Edited by SuperGoose75

Not as wear resistant but try the spray varnish used on oil paint pictures ..Hobby Store probably has it. I don't dislike the darker grey personally. Needs a serious rub down with some fine paper, try those soft foam pads. You can get them in various grades and they are great for curves. Once smooth from the pads I then run mine on a soft polishing wheel. Don't lean on too hard or you will burn the wood. If your wood isn't absolutely dry or even if it is the application of paint may/will lift the grain, involving further sanding.

That is not a bad job of carving, as good a pheasant as I've seen ...... no I'm kidding you. Nice job. :yes::good:

I know little about 'stick making' but to me the orange used on the bill actually look's lighter on your test piece. The grey obviously has turned a darker shade. Is it the same wood though.? Your greylag head and test piece are they different pieces/types of wood.? Would nail varnish not do the job? Just a suggestion!

Yes. It is the same wood and paint for both. The actual bill isn't that orange - and the body has more brown in it that the pic shows too. I'm keen to make the colours as realistic as I can although they haven't come out well in the pic...

I only have pink nail varnish - for the weekends you understand!😉😉

I make quite a few sticks and always use clear Danish oil. This gives a good finish and can be done again when it wears.

I will look into that - thanks. I'm new to this game (if you hadn't guessed from looking at my effort!

Not as wear resistant but try the spray varnish used on oil paint pictures ..Hobby Store probably has it. I don't dislike the darker grey personally. Needs a serious rub down with some fine paper, try those soft foam pads. You can get them in various grades and they are great for curves. Once smooth from the pads I then run mine on a soft polishing wheel. Don't lean on too hard or you will burn the wood. If your wood isn't absolutely dry or even if it is the application of paint may/will lift the grain, involving further sanding.

That is not a bad job of carving, as good a pheasant as I've seen ...... no I'm kidding you. Nice job. :yes::good:

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated - as for the pheasant, it's actually a grouse!😉

Edited by Big Al