Declaring speeding tickets

Mackenzie

You've had a number of goes, and still you're wrong - go back and actually read his post: "SGC" and "speeding tickets".

I give in with you Grannet.

Let it be known from now on , you do not need to declare speeding 'tickets' on any type of firearms app.

If the FEO mentions why not ,say Grannet from PW said so, then youll be fine.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When applying for my variation to add extra firearms I checked the DVLA website and there were no points or anything listed so I didn't declare anything. However I remembered the other day I got a speeding penalty notice through the post last summer. I was given a choice between paying a fine and getting points on my license or attending a drivers awareness course and keeping a clean license. I did the course so my license is still clean, however I think I better contact the firearms dept when they open after the Easter holidays and explain the situation. I don't want them thinking I'm being dishonest and withholding info.

When applying for my variation to add extra firearms I checked the DVLA website and there were no points or anything listed so I didn't declare anything. However I remembered the other day I got a speeding penalty notice through the post last summer. I was given a choice between paying a fine and getting points on my license or attending a drivers awareness course and keeping a clean license. I did the course so my license is still clean, however I think I better contact the firearms dept when they open after the Easter holidays and explain the situation. I don't want them thinking I'm being dishonest and withholding info.

I was told a speed awareness course in not a conviction.

Do we know of anyone who has ever had their cert refused or revoked over speeding convictions?

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/339291-if-youve-had-a-shotgun-ticket-revoked/page-2

Post 21

This is also an interesting read

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-36086.html

Edited by Rewulf

With all this. You don't need to declare speeding fines

You do need to declare speeding fines

Would it just be easy to put them down

Then if they don't want to now they will ignore them

It saves a lot of this you don't .you do . Carry on

After all it's the police that need to now

Edited by Guest

You must not withhold information about any conviction. This includes motoring offences(including speeding offences), binding overs, formal written warnings, cautions and convictions in and outside Great Britain, and (by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975) convictions which are spent under the 1974 Act. A conditional discharge and an absolute discharge both count as convictions for this purpose. Details of parking offences and fixed penalty notices do not need to be declared.

I was under the impression that if you accept the ticket as it stands at the roadside and don't contest it, it's a fixed penalty notice. If you contest it and take it to court and loose it then becomes a conviction. As stated above fixed penaltiesn not notifiable.

The police can't convict you of anything only a court can after due process.

I was under the impression that if you accept the ticket as it stands at the roadside and don't contest it, it's a fixed penalty notice. If you contest it and take it to court and loose it then becomes a conviction. As stated above fixed penaltiesn not notifiable.

The police can't convict you of anything only a court can after due process.

This is my interpretation also.

An SP30 (3 points and £80 or whatever it may be now, or the possibility of a Driver Awareness Course) is a FPN only.

All motoring offences must be declared no matter how long ago they were. Just give an approximate date but state that it is approximate. If you look further down the form you should see that it is an offence not to declare an offence and could taint your application. I seem to remember some good time ago someone was prosecuted for not declaring an offence, though I may be wrong.

Uncle Albert

All motoring offences must be declared no matter how long ago they were. Just give an approximate date but state that it is approximate. If you look further down the form you should see that it is an offence not to declare an offence and could taint your application. I seem to remember some good time ago someone was prosecuted for not declaring an offence, though I may be wrong.

Uncle Albert

As I said before, and in direct answer to the OPs question, who should probably just have rung firearms.

You DO need to declare speeding offences, FPNs or otherwise, I spoke to my FEO yesterday, and he said he would double check with the FLM.

In hindsight, its a bit of a no brainer, if you dont put them down and you should,you can be in trouble.

If you do put them down, and you didnt have to, you are not in trouble, easy really.

I go with telling them about speeding offences regardless of how it's been dealt with because they ask for it clear as day.

An FPN can be issued for a multitude of things like littering, brake light out, seat belt use, overweight, unsafe load ect ect. There's literally dozens of different FPN codes.

The way I see it they specifically ask about speeding so even if it was dealt with by way of FPN you should still declare it. If you've had an FPN for anything else don't bother.

I go with telling them about speeding offences regardless of how it's been dealt with because they ask for it clear as day.

An FPN can be issued for a multitude of things like littering, brake light out, seat belt use, overweight, unsafe load ect ect. There's literally dozens of different FPN codes.

The way I see it they specifically ask about speeding so even if it was dealt with by way of FPN you should still declare it. If you've had an FPN for anything else don't bother.

You can get an FPN for drunk and disorderly apparently, try not putting that one down on an app or renewal :lol:

On the renew grant form 201

Part C Offences.

Have you been convicted of any offence (including speeding but not including parking offences or fixed penalty notices) or received a written caution?

I assume that the Home Office form is the same all over.

So convictions yes declare, fpn's don't bother.

On the renew grant form 201

Part C Offences.

Have you been convicted of any offence (including speeding but not including parking offences or fixed penalty notices) or received a written caution?

I assume that the Home Office form is the same all over.

So convictions yes declare, fpn's don't bother.

From the NGO

FIXED PENALTY NOTICES AND NOTICES FOR DISORDER A Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) or the variant a Penalty Notice for Disorder (PND) is not a fine or criminal conviction nor can it be cited in court as such unless contested. Those offered a FPN or PND can opt for the matter to be dealt with in court instead of paying, although, if proved, the payment increases and enforcement is undertaken by the Magistrates’ Court in the same way as a fine. FPNs are supposed to be for minor offences such as road traffic matters – speeding and byelaw matters. PNDs are supposed to be issued for public order matters eg. drunkenness and low level public order offences, but have been known to be issued for common assault. Paying the FPN or PND involves neither an official finding nor an acceptance of guilt and discharges all liability to conviction for the offence. When paying FND or PNDs no admission of guilt is required nor is it advised that any be given.

However.

FIREARMS CERTIFICATES Cautions, PND, FPN and other warnings may be relevant and impact on Shotgun or Firearms Certificates (FAC), at the time of any initial application for an FAC, renewal, or be used to support the Revocation of an FAC. Having accepted a Caution or PND, the Chief Constable will have regard to the fact that a criminal offence has occurred and that the offender has admitted it. The legislation requires the Chief Constable to have regard to the character of an FAC holder.

Again, I have been told by Notts firearms 3 times, by 3 different people that speeding convictions, red light violations ect ,even if dealt with by FPNs must be declared.

If you are in any doubt call your FEO.

The only conclusion I can come to is that not all FAC/SGC applications/renewals are the same nationwide!

Since declaring convictions on my initial application donkies years ago, I haven't mentioned them nor been asked to.

I think some forces/FEOs have their own quirks.

I got asked about convictions (again) when the FEO came round to check my cabinets after moving house.

I dont think you need to keep putting them down at renewal, unless something has changed.

And I will admit ,the wording on the form is confusing, but as said, if in doubt, put it down, they 'know ' anyway , if its not relevant, you havnt dobbed yourself in! :lol: