FREE cars.

Red-dot

My village is jam packed with "Disabled" cars, the owners of some of these seem to be pretty able to walk to them and do their gardens and walk to the nightly bingo hall in town. One woman works in my local and wears 4" high heels but walks to the car with two NHS alloy sticks! My neighbour has a 66 plate Kuga and his wife has a 65 plate Mazda which i have never seen move in a year and the brake discs are rusted red. Both display blue badges.

When i was a kid a disability car was a light blue 3 wheeler. The chemist van delivers their medicines but they can walk 300y to the Post Office for their benefits.... Q is, how do i get on this gravy train?

Edited by Red-dot

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My village is jam packed with "Disabled" cars, the owners of some of these seem to be pretty able to walk to them and do their gardens and walk to the nightly bingo hall in town. One woman works in my local and wears 4" high heels but walks to the car with two NHS alloy sticks! My neighbour has a 66 plate Kuga and his wife has a 65 plate Mazda which i have never seen move in a year and the brake discs are rusted red. Both display blue badges.

When i was a kid a disability car was a light blue 3 wheeler. The chemist van delivers their medicines but they can walk 300y to the Post Office for their benefits.... Q is, how do i get on this gravy train?

When you find out please share.

I've worked in a main dealer over 25 years and seen alot of scamming the motorbility system I have nothing against people who have a genuine disability getting a car but the amount time I've seen youngens getting a 500 abarth or similar type car as they've getting there grand parents motorbility book and there down as main driver and go out there way to wreak it or people using them as taxis finding taxi rank info about the car jammed behind glove box. If you ever went to the motorbility hand back auctions when on the type of cars you see x5's loads mazda mx5's etc

My cousin, who I have spoken of often on here, has one. He suffers from 'Sciatica of Convenience' it played up really badly every time he went near a jobcentre

I know a family who's daughter is profoundly handicapped. So much so that she has been in a residential care home these past few years but I notice the family still appears to be getting a mobility car for her. I don't know for sure, I may be jumping to conclusions but I can see no other reason for them changing their car for a new one every three years .

Edited by Vince Green

I'll take my health over a car any day, be happy with what you've got and if your not take a look at what you can change in your own life, comparing what others have will never make you happy as you'll always be reaching for something you haven't got. Any system is always open to abuse but I'm sure there's many many who rely on a disability car to get about.

its all part of the government austerity.

no one has a problem with the idea of helping the genuine disabled, but as always it gets perverted, people with nothing wrong with them lording it up in a brand new motor while those that pay for it have to have what they should be driving.

A decent 2nd hand car with max value of 4 -5 k to last 5 years, no free insurance etc, the families of the disabled will have to pay that, after all, they use them aswell.

I was stuck on a zimor frame for a while and then on sticks. I'd broken my leg that badly that I had it operated on and a frame fitted .

My mum asked for a badge as I couldn't go anywhere and we had to park within 50 yards of the hospital and doctors. I was going twice a week and I was told NO .

It took me 15 minutes to walk 50 yards and I was in so much pain I had to sit down.

I had

No sick pay ( self employed)

No badge

No help

On the other hand I have a Customer with Parkinson's and at 62 years old has been told he has to go back to work.

REALLY.

I had a Toyota Corolla Verso for 2 years on the Disability Scheme, I had suffered a Heart Attack, lost an Eye and just had a double Transplant as well as severe swelling in my legs thru fluid retention (the fluid often became infected and put me into hospital)on top of this the Transplant team had damaged the "pipework" and, on average, I suffered 3 UTI's a year that normally ended up with me in intensive care. NONE of this was visible (apart from the eye if you look closely) and I was questioned often when I used a disabled space. Whilst I am fully aware that many people do not deserve a car it might be worth remembering that a great many do. I am eternally grateful to the people that run this scheme because without it I would have been in real trouble.

Edited by bruno22rf

I was stuck on a zimor frame for a while and then on sticks. I'd broken my leg that badly that I had it operated on and a frame fitted .

My mum asked for a badge as I couldn't go anywhere and we had to park within 50 yards of the hospital and doctors. I was going twice a week and I was told NO .

It took me 15 minutes to walk 50 yards and I was in so much pain I had to sit down.

I had

No sick pay ( self employed)

No badge

No help

On the other hand I have a Customer with Parkinson's and at 62 years old has been told he has to go back to work.

REALLY.

That's the thing see, the 62 year old with parkinson's and yourself didn't kick up a big fuss.

I went out doing financial assessment's before, loads of nice people who were paying contributions towards their care costs and felt it was fair and how lucky we are in this country with the services we get.

Then you'd go round the corner and see someone whos smoking 40 fags a day, living in a 3-4 bed house in the city with all their bills paid and when told they should contribute to their care costs they go mad and call all sorts of agencies, advocates and the lot.

With stuff like that going on on a huge scale all over the country it's no wonder self made people are looking for ways to legally pay no tax, why give it all away?

no one said one follows the other, there are loads of disabled people that are either genuine or who don't claim for a car.

I know; my sister is one of them. The OP was asking how he got on the gravy train for a free car; I was just saying that I'm not sure that blue badges, disabled benefits and free cars necessarily follow each other. I'm not sure how the OP knows the cars he is seeing are 'free' simply because they display a blue badge.

For example, a friend received a blue badge and state funded supplement towards a mobility lease car ( but it wasn't free ) for his severely handicapped daughter despite being a very wealthy self-employed builder.

You have the choice of the benefit weekly or if you prefer the car annually when suffering a severe disability and btw the regulations have been incredibly tightened in recent years..You will find that the car will most likely be driven by a relative who is tasked with caring for someone.Absolutely there is scamming but no more than ******* who fiddle their taxes or business returns and enjoy lounging round the village green on lazy summer days presenting themselves as jolly decent chaps to the community.People in glass houses.

My sister has a blue badge but her car is her own and paid for by her. She receives no benefits so I'm not sure that one necessarily follows the other.

Isn't it all 'means tested'?

At last someone who appears to know what they're talking about! The blue badge and motability allowance are separate things.....

As for the motability cheats......they are just benefit thieves/cheats........you will never stop the scumbags abusing the system and spoiling things for everyone else!

To qualify for a car under the motobility scheme you have to be in receipt of the higher rate Disability Living Allowance

Under the scheme you give up a proportion of your allowance in return for a car.

Smaller less luxurious cars taking less allowance, bigger flashier vehicles costing you more of your allowance.

'Blue Badge' scheme is an entirely seperate scheme usually administered by local authority.

A lot of ignorance from fools on here thinking that you have to be crippled to be disabled. Some disabilities don't show on the outside such as heart and lung conditions etc and as I've said before they would all trade the car for the chance to be a normal healthy condescending idiot like you lot seem to be.

A lot of ignorance from fools on here thinking that you have to be crippled to be disabled. Some disabilities don't show on the outside such as heart and lung conditions etc and as I've said before they would all trade the car for the chance to be a normal healthy condescending idiot like you lot seem to be.

A very fair point, BUT, a colleague of mine had a car through the Motability scheme due to his wifes dissability.

It has recently been taken away due to changes in the system.

He has now leased a brand new car using the money she receives for her dissability.

I would think she spends about 10% of the time that the car is used gaining from it, the rest of the time he is driving to and from work.

That is just one example of mis-use of the system.