FREE cars.

Red-dot

Dont forget the FREE Insurance, Tax, Tyres and Servicing

And with a small one off payment you can get a top of the range motor

Nobody gets a "free car", a decent spec of motability car costs a few grand upfront which is non returnable then a monthly deduction from benefits of around £200, it's not that much better a deal than any lease except all servicing and Insurance is included in the cost as are tyres etc, it's only a little bit better than anyone can go and lease in that respect plus the fact the leasee doesn't have to pass credit checks. A few quid more with a decent credit history and anyone could get one

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy my cars from the local garage who get the disability trade ins , best cars you can buy my latest one ive had for 7 years nothing wrong with it got it as a 2 year old low milage and there well serviced every year all fluids changed all window wipers etc only thing wrong was some scraping to the rear plastic where the poor sod had to store there wheel chair

i agree !

iv spent the last 5 years looking after motabilitly cars/drivers and it has to be (imo!!) the most miss-used of our schemes going !

i dont want to get involved in the whole 'whos entitiled to what' but iv personally seen young women boasting about how easy it is to 'cheat' our rules, iv seen motabilitly cars being used as taxi's - yes i know its not allowed, iv seen people who are claiming disability drinking/dancing/fighting in local pubs at the weekend......makes me wonder why i bother tbh !

my solution is...

make the main car makers put in a tender bid for the disability cars..

whoever wins offers 3 cars, depending on needs... - ie, if Ford win then a fiesta for a single (+1) dependant,

a focus for a single (+2 or 3) dependant

a galaxy etc etc

no additional cars regardless how much extra cash you can come up with to pay for the 'difference'

all cars being painted in bright orange paint, thus other road users would instantly see a disabled motorist and thus give extra consideration

once the general public know/see/notice the orange car connection - watch the numbers of those who apply fall ;)

We are all hopefully going to get old and there is always the risk of illness, that's life.

Society can't carry everybody no matter how well intentioned the motives.

To me, mobility cars are a step too far, I'm sorry because I know others will disagree

Nobody gets a "free car", a decent spec of motability car costs a few grand upfront which is non returnable then a monthly deduction from benefits of around £200, it's not that much better a deal than any lease except all servicing and Insurance is included in the cost as are tyres etc, it's only a little bit better than anyone can go and lease in that respect plus the fact the leasee doesn't have to pass credit checks. A few quid more with a decent credit history and anyone could get one

But isn't there an extra 'mobility' benefit on top of any others for those that qualify to allow for mobility, anything from a mobility car, scooter or taxis if you so wish?

Thus making it non contributory (at point) unless you want to pay one off fee to upgrade

Before anyone jumps up and down, i have no issues with those who need a mobility payment having one if it gives them a decent quality of life, regardless of disability - the system seems to (from what i can see) have quite a strict criteria currently and only those who fall into a small box appear to be eligible - as for before i cannot comment but i assume that those who dont fit will have the payment removed come renewal time.

Edited by ph5172

i agree !

iv spent the last 5 years looking after motabilitly cars/drivers and it has to be (imo!!) the most miss-used of our schemes going !

i dont want to get involved in the whole 'whos entitiled to what' but iv personally seen young women boasting about how easy it is to 'cheat' our rules, iv seen motabilitly cars being used as taxi's - yes i know its not allowed, iv seen people who are claiming disability drinking/dancing/fighting in local pubs at the weekend......makes me wonder why i bother tbh !

my solution is...

make the main car makers put in a tender bid for the disability cars..

whoever wins offers 3 cars, depending on needs... - ie, if Ford win then a fiesta for a single (+1) dependant,

a focus for a single (+2 or 3) dependant

a galaxy etc etc

no additional cars regardless how much extra cash you can come up with to pay for the 'difference'

all cars being painted in bright orange paint, thus other road users would instantly see a disabled motorist and thus give extra consideration

once the general public know/see/notice the orange car connection - watch the numbers of those who apply fall ;)

What a good idea about marking all of their cars and singling disabled people out, While we are at it why don't we mark all of the Jews as well, oh that's right someone tried that before that's why we went to war. Edited by smokinggun

We are all hopefully going to get old and there is always the risk of illness, that's life.

Society can't carry everybody no matter how well intentioned the motives.

To me, mobility cars are a step too far, I'm sorry because I know others will disagree

You're darned right others will disagree. In fact any right-thinking person will disagree because your opinion is crass and ill-considered.

So it's a step too far for society to put in place a scheme that enables people with disability to aspire to the mobility enjoyed by the able-bodied?

What would you like the disabled to do? Just keep out of sight so that you can pretend that they don't exist? Accept that they must remain confined to their homes? Accept that they can't undertake employment if travel is involved? Accept that they can't have social lives if travel is involved?

Your views were outdated by the 1950's.

Lets stop the insults that always start when disability issues are brought up,

Yes systems get abused but that's the same in all walks of life,

The Blue Badge system is totally different to the motability scheme and run by different agencies,

If so many of you are certain both schemes are being abused as in the "I see it all the time" and so forth, including the I service them and see the taxi stuff hidden away posters then REPORT it, or is it easier to come on here and complain about it?

Just ignoring it and complaining when others get it is almost as bad as abusing it......REPORT IT if you are certain it's being abused, there are numbers available for you to do it......

The phrase keyboard warriors is quite ept in some of the posts on here......

I'm sure people would rather have their health then have to worry about wheher they can have a badge or a car......

I really do despair at this forum at times :no:

:shaun:

OK, anyone got a bit of lead i can swing?

A late friend of mine got a BMW 120d with a power upgrade and big wheezy intercooler for £50 more than his monthly disability vehicle benefit. He had a blood disorder and you would never have said he was disabled.

Red-dot, you started this thread then after dropping the insult and what looks like a jealousy issue decided not to post anymore...... :no:

Did you consider your work done at that point?

:shaun:

What a good idea about marking all of their cars and singling disabled people out, While we are at it why don't we mark all of the Jews as well, oh that's right someone tried that before that's why we went to war.

jez get over yourself !!

back in the day (before free cars were available!!!!) disabled cars were bright blue and had 3 wheels - no-one complained then !!

iv a few good mates that are disabled - what does that make me ??

my opinion is as good as anyone else's - dry up !!

I think free means 'has not contributed to' in this case.

I think some are getting confused with 'special' cars that have been adapted so that disabled people can drive, rather than a 'normal' car that is given to some who claim disability allowance, rightly or wrongly.

My cousin is classed as disabled. Not sure exactly why. I think he has severe lazyitis. He lives round the corner from me. Strangely enough, he has a couple of kids and manages to walk to the shop for his lagers. It annoys me every time I drive past his house (that he lives in rent free, of course) and see his brand new car that he is 'entitled to'. His girlfriend doesn't work, naturally, but has found her calling in life as my cousin's 'carer'.

Strict vetting? I think not!

Most of the people who critisize footballers for the 'obscene' amount of money they receive, or the politician receiving loads of EU cash in expenses....if offered it, would they turn it down?........or do exactly the same and take the money?.........The latter, I reckon!

Same as people who think someone is getting something, they ain't....no matter how deserving........resentment and jealousy raises its ugly head!

Disgusting but human nature I'm afraid.....

As the guilty party hereby referred to as the OP i can confirm that i am surrounded by melingerers and fraudsters who abuse the system, yes some folk are genuine but if the were issued with little blue 3 wheelers we would soon sort the wheat from the chaff.

As the guilty party hereby referred to as the OP i can confirm that i am surrounded by melingerers and fraudsters who abuse the system, yes some folk are genuine but if the were issued with little blue 3 wheelers we would soon sort the wheat from the chaff.

i mentioned something similar and got shot down.............. s'funny ole world eh !!!!

Great minds think alike then.......s'funny ole world eh !!!!....... :no:

i mentioned something similar and got shot down.............. s'funny ole world eh !!!!

What you fail to realise is genuine disabled people would feel ashamed to have them, whilst the people taking the mickey would have them regardless, because they're all about getting as much as they can for nout.

Your silly little idea would take away from the people who are already reluctant to claim m and honest folk, whilst not making a slight bit of difference to the cheats and scammers.

You could always make them all wear a badge next tho eh, or round them up into separate places so the rest of us don't have to deal with them? What's next off your list.

Edited by Lloyd90

What you fail to realise is genuine disabled people would feel ashamed to have them, whilst the people taking the mickey would have them regardless, because they're all about getting as much as they can for nout.

Your silly little idea would take away from the people who are already reluctant to claim m and honest folk, whilst not making a slight bit of difference to the cheats and scammers.

You could always make them all wear a badge next tho eh, or round them up into separate places so the rest of us don't have to deal with them? What's next off your list.

hahahaha silly idea ? really ?? perhaps there should be a list of 'ok' ideas pinned on this forum.....just so we all get along nicely ??

but. while were here, why would it take anything away from those that are in real need ? as opposed to those who fancy a new car and can scam the system ?

if i were in need of a disability car i wouldnt give a **** what colour it was, but if i wanted the next door to 'think' i could buy a new car every 3 years i most certainly wouldnt want it in bright orange !

its a simple change what would, imo only, cut down the number of un-needed claims by half at least......

but thats just my opinion.....which, it seems, isnt allowed on here by some

Edited by 69chris