too late ?????? NTTF

pluckers son

need a bit of advice NTTF....i have a springer age 2 years old when i got her i didnt have no land to shoot on but i started to train her up for the gun but i was not very good at it and ended up training her less and less and gave up now i have got some land to shoot on i want to start training again........wot i want to no is at 2 years old is it too late to start training again.#

she will sit to whistle most of the time..

walk to heel

picks up some birds ...ducks and pigeons

my dog is very head strong, but she is only 2 yaers old so i want to try again.I have 1 big problem with her when i take her out shooting or walking when i stop still for a rest or for ducks comming in she will not stop whining and it make me very stressed out and affects my shooting.I want to start her pigeon shooting but she will do my head in whining all the time.

i whish i had trained her well but it was my first dog and its a bit pampered too much....she gets away with a lot of things because most of the time i cant control her.

hope to her from u soon PLUCKERS SON,,,,,,,,,,,,,simon :unsure:

PS:

Your dog is not too old to train. Having said that and given that she knows some things to a lesser or greater degree, this is where it gets tricky. Put everything that she knows out of your head, you are going to start from scratch...this includes commands that you think she knows. New words for old commands, change sit to platz, laydown to drop, heel to tack you get the message I'm sure. Now follow the 8 week obediance course and have all of those exercises perfect, then add the Training to Stop whistle course and perfect that. You are now anywhere from 16 to 32 weeks of training and you will have a reliable gun dog if you do not shortcut anything. That is where most people screw up, they will try to skip steps and then wonder why 2 excersises further along things are not going correct.

16 to 32 weeks is not along time if you consider how long you will have this dog for, and the amount of money you will end up investing in her. Recently read to raise an average pet dog to the age of 12 years you will spend approx. $10,000 cdn that works out to roughly 4255 pounds, do not let your wives see those numbers expecially if you keep an average of 7 dogs, and have been for roughly the last 25 years.

Take your time with her, and commit to the training, you will find you have a pleasurable gun dog to work with.

Let me think on the whinning one for a bit...it can be modified but since this is a behavioural problem, and not a training problem you must approach it in a differant manner.

• 1 month later...

Pluckers Son:

I know the answere to your question about your dogs whinning is way over do. As I had only put one dog through the procedure I'm going to outline, I wanted to put another dog through it for 6 to 8 weeks to make sure it worked. So after a long search to find an incessant whinner of the 4 legged kind, and really it wasn't that long of a search as my Toad dog is known for this. Took a whole 2 minutes... :thumbs: :lol: ...and 7 weeks later I am happy to report that it worked. 2 for 2 now so I feel comfortable passing this down.

When your dog whines ignor him. No matter how frustrating it is or how angry you get ignore him. As a matter of fact purposely go out to the kennel and stand in front of him so he'll whine and ignor him. Ignor him till he breaks the whinning, even if it is only for 30 seconds at the start. As soon as he is quiet praise him, tell him he is a good boy and pet him. If he starts to whine while praising or petting, STOP and ignor him. Resume praise and petting at next break in whinning.

The reason that this program will work is simple. When your dog whines now, you yell at him or scold him or pet him to shut him up. What you are doing is giving into him and giving him the attention that he is looking for. Negative attention is better than no attention. Under this program for him to get attention he must do as you wish, and you wish he'd shut up. You must first teach him that he will get more attention for being quiet . This is where you praising his good behaviour and ignoring his bad behaviour is important. Only praise the good behaviour.

You will start to see a differance around week 2, but it has taken 6 to 8 weeks for this to become ingrained in the two dogs that I have used it on.

Drop a note and let us know how you are getting on with the training so far. Good luck and remember.....keep it FUN