Taking a scope to the us ?

gerron

Restrictions apply to scopes above 4x magnification (from memory)

Chrck the DTI & HM CUSTOMS websites.

It's been talked to death on several UK shooting forums.

Another example of logic failure. ...EXCEPT I'd not want some SnackBar type peeking at me or my mates through a Gucci $5K scope sourced in a West Midlands car park.

(Yes....scopes CAN be sourced elsewhere, but every little helps)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just thought I'd let you know that I contacted the airline who told me that scopes are not restricted items, you can take them on as hand luggage or put them in the hold,I put mine in the hold and declared it on my arrival to us expecting to pay duty but the us authorities took the form, stamped it then checked it in the bin with no charge. Happy days :)

Hi guys

Just thought I'd let you know that I contacted the airline who told me that scopes are not restricted items, you can take them on as hand luggage or put them in the hold,I put mine in the hold and declared it on my arrival to us expecting to pay duty but the us authorities took the form, stamped it then checked it in the bin with no charge. Happy days :)

They may not be airline restricted but that has nothing to do with import/export as far as DTI and ITAR rules are concerned.

The 4x mag restriction is when you're exporting, as in selling to someone outside the UK.

If you're taking the scope out of the country for your own use and returning with it you aren't exporting it. Ask the DTI and they will confirm this.

Edited by phaedra1106