slow cookers

Mice!

Thanks for LS I'm not wanting everything to be a soup or stew but at the same time a burnt lump and dead slow cooker wouldn't be good either.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a recipe book when I'm out as I can never be bothered looking on line when in the kitchen. Much more fun opening up a book then ignoring half the ingredients it says.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoulder of pork joint, remove the skin and cover liberally all over with dry rub (either make your own or use seasoning for....type thing from the shop). At least 5 hours on high, the fat will render out and any tough tissue will have broken down. Do not be tempted to go in too early, but when ready the pork will fall apart, shred it and mix in the liquid which came out of it, burger roll, honey BBQ sauce, pretty good pulled pork

Sort of did this on Sunday, was about 8 hrs between low and med, took the fat off for last couple of hours and broke the joint up. Back in the juice finished the fat off in the grill.

Pulled pork barms for all and very nice it was

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best kitchen gadget I have ever bought. There's nothing better than a day out beating, shooting or fishing knowing a tasty caselrole or pulled pork shoulder is bubbling away at home. Open your door to find your tea ready and only one dish to wash!

right how about this then......................

a nice big oxtail chopped up with onions and carrots...nice thick gravy....served up with old fashioned boiled potatoes and loads of spring greens...................

AWESOME ..... and I just happen to have an ox tail in my freezer given to me by a lady I shot some foxes for :good::yes:

Would those old fashion boiled potatoes be left in the skin by any chance?

Edited by Walker570

AWESOME ..... and I just happen to have an ox tail in my freezer given to me by a lady I shot some foxes for :good::yes:

Would those old fashion boiled potatoes be left in the skin by any chance?

just rub off what comes off....cook em slow, so they dont break up....soft enuff to mash /break up with the back of the fork into the gravy .. :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Does the top fit well loyd ? You may be loosing moisture from an I'll fitting lid.

It seems to fit fine, I get moisture all over the lid and if you take it off it drips back inside, although I almost never take it off when its in use, as supposed to just leave it do its job!

• 3 months later...

My latest concoction made up with what I had available was about as simple as you can get yet I would not be ashamed to serve it to anyone, it went like this

Slow cooker initially on high

4 medium onions chopped roughly and fried gently in rapeseed oil until soft

Meanwhile 8 pigeon breasts halved, loins and thighs of a rabbit weighing about half a pound and half a pound of cubed venison browned off in a hot frying pan in 4 batches and added to slow cooker.

Tin of chopped tomatoes added to onions and brought to boil.

6 of those round red medium hot chilli peppers chopped and added to onions/tomatoes then whole lot added to slow cooker.

Then water added to tomato pan and brought to boil, enough to cover meat by 1/2 an inch, then added to slow cooker.

Note, NO SALT until serving as this makes the meat dry.

No other seasonings as it does not need it.

Immediately switched slow cooker to low when all ingredients had been added.

Cooked for 6 hours.

Makes a very rich stew.

It was even better, like most stews, the next day.

right how about this then......................

a nice big oxtail chopped up with onions and carrots...nice thick gravy....served up with old fashioned boiled potatoes and loads of spring greens...................

excellent, do this often, i also use brown ale and streaky bacon, cook all night on low and the meat falls off, stick it in some shortcrust pastry for a real pie

On low mate! How do you know if it's wet enough? I thought some people just put meat in theirs with no water and do a type of roast?

No, you can't do that.

You need liquid at least to half the depth of the meat. The most important thing is to not take the lid off, it's such a low energy heat source, it's taken an age to get to temperature, the second you take the lid off you've added an hour on.

You need liquid at least to half the depth of the meat. The most important thing is to not take the lid off, it's such a low energy heat source, it's taken an age to get to temperature, the second you take the lid off you've added an hour on.

Great advice.

Mrs MM did a whole chicken in ours last weekend, half full of stock with assorted veggies- we are dieting ☹ turns out its a real healthy way to cook.

Great advice.

Mrs MM did a whole chicken in ours last weekend, half full of stock with assorted veggies- we are dieting ☹ turns out its a real healthy way to cook.

Whole chicken in a slow cooker is awesome, lob all the bones back in, fill it with carrots, onion and celery and top it back up, leave it on overnight and you've got THE most amazing stock for soups or just a flask out shooting.

We'll we got in and Mrs mice said how good the tea smelled and she's a vegi, it was only chicken thighs and veg, the chicken was falling apart, smelled great went down a treat.

I've told her she should have a meat day, make life so much easier 😀 🐔 🍗