Give up on maize!?!

As 'hunter conservationists' should we give up on maize as a cover crop for game? On the grounds that is a sterile monoculture which only provides cover for game and feed for vermin. Should all shooters who have any appreciation for wildlife strive to replace their maize strips with cereal and brassica game mixes to support all forms of wild life, including the little tweety birds.

For a patch i have i have gone for chicory & canary grass all i have are wild birds so trying to maxamise habitat. this also benefits me as lower cost on tractor work, hope to see benefits in a couple of years, Only shoot cock birds on our walk rounds too, love the conservation side as much if not more than the shooting think that comes with age.

We used a Highland Game (?) mix last year, just to see what it was like. It was fine for the first couple of shoots but big leaves holding copious amounts of rain water to then drop on birds didn't seem to work well.

Whatever we trial, we always use Labrador and Setter as they have abundant varieties of seed heads for all manner of birds and wildlife.

As an actual game cover, the best I have ever seen is fodder beet. Birds love it.

We may have had similar results with our Highland Game if we hadn't just broadcast it.

Edited by Scully