Met Police release names and addresses of 30,000 firearm owners to mar

See here:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/19/met_police_30000_gun_owner_data_breach/

The marketing company has sent out leaflets advertising Smartwater - the anti-theft marking system.

Quite what is the added value of "marking your property so it can be identified" - when every legal firearm in the country is registered to its owner by serial number and description, on a searchable database - completely escapes me.

I could be wrong, but I believe Smartwater was started up by an ex-Met copper: this may or may not be apposite...

Edited by CaptainBeaky

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would be contacting the firearms department and ask what they are going to do about the breach of security and the fact that they had made my home a possible target for criminals.

Mind you It wouldn't surprise me if they now go round revoking people certificates and seizing their guns

They've dropped the ball on this one, Wonder who will end up the fall guy ???

A snip from the link lol

A spokesperson for the Information Commissioner's Office told The Register: "Businesses and organisations are required under the Data Protection Act to keep people's personal data safe and secure. If people have concerns about the way an organisation is handling their personal data, they can report them to us."

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation told us: "BASC has spoken with the Metropolitan Police and we understand they are investigating this matter. We are not in a position to comment further until the result of that investigation is known."

A Met press officer did not immediately respond to our questions, saying that the key person responsible was on leave.

The envelope containing the leaflet was stamped with a return address for "YDM", Bramley Business Centre, Leeds. A direct marketing company called Yes Direct Mail, based at the same address, acknowledged our call seeking comment and said its managing director was out of the office

Edited by Snoozer

Maybe if involved personally, write to the PCC, Chief Constable and Home Office saying that you will hold them personally responsible for any events that take place after the breach of confidentially and Data Protection act and claim the cost of an alarm system?

Just like the tag at the Doctors for all to see, one more brick out of the wall.

Edited by old man