Is AO really worth it?

Totally essential IMHO. Look through a non PA / AO scope (Parallexed at say 100 yds/m) at a target at 20 - 40 yds and move your head watching how the reticle moves.

Judge for yourself if you think that's acceptable - depending on what you're shooting.

Edited by Glenshooter

On the pc or reading but not when shooting. Yes its clear thanks to the eye piece adjuster.

Ok , so if you set the objective to say 40 yards, at 6x , it goes out of focus at 25 and 50 ?

Does going to 3 x help, or is that no good either ?

You could also try wearing your glasses to shoot, but its a pain when you take them off.

I have a similar scope on my HMR (a sweet 22) and I dont have this problem, but Im short sighted ,rather than long sighted like you.

Edited by Rewulf

Using glasses when shooting is a non-starter for me. Adjusting the AO does make a difference to the focus. I'm just questioning whether it's really worth having compared to a good quality non-AO scope.

There are two parts to considering AO/Parallax adjustment on a scope.

One, which I think you're referring to is focus. If a scope is set to be parallax free at 100 yds, it will not be sharply focused at other distances. Usually more noticeable on closer distances than longer distances.

If you increase the magnification from 3 to 9, this lack of sharpness at ranges where you are not parallax free, will be more obvious. Although it doesn't in fact change - simply being higher magnified, it's more obvious. ( A bit like a gun appears to shake more at 9 mag than at 3 mag.,)

But the other important function is 'parallax', which I was alluding to in my earlier post. A scope is only parallax free at one distance and you can show this by setting the gun in a stationary position, gun vice, chair being supported by cushion/books etc etc and moving your head. When you move your head/eye, you will see the reticle move on the target. It doesn't move only when the parallax adjustment is correct.

I find the movement at ranges that I use my air rifles and rimfires ie less than 100 yds to be unacceptable. You may think differently but you can easily check by doing the above ie supporting the rifle and moving your head.

However, there is no downside to having an AO scope that I know of, but it can be a significant aid to focus and accuracy. I would never buy a non AO adjustable scope for anything other than full bore shooting when you are typically shooting beyond 100 yds, as parallax error becomes much less at these distances.

All his IMHO of course

Edited by Glenshooter

You are correct. And that works again for one distance, easy to do. I actually do this myself for a rifle which I only use at one distance (targets), with my one 'non PA adjustable' scope. But it will of course not be correct for any other distance.

Just dont screw it out too far, as it might de gas, small increments of a quarter turn, till you get it right :good:

My scopes have Ao, what does it stand for?

Adjustable Objective

You can alter the objective lens distance (big one at the front) to suit the distance your shooting at, some shooters use this as a range finder. Can be achieved in two ways, some scopes you twist the front of the scope and some have side wheel adjustment.

Hope this helps.

hello, and i would THINK a non AO is better for a home made N/V

For NV addons if it isn't AO you are going to have massive issues as you wont be able to get a clear picture due to the different wavelength of IR light requiring a much shorter focus distance.

Generally with my Wardy Add on the PX distance end us about 14 yards to give me a decent picture at 50 yards distance.

Adjustable Objective

You can alter the objective lens distance (big one at the front) to suit the distance your shooting at, some shooters use this as a range finder. Can be achieved in two ways, some scopes you twist the front of the scope and some have side wheel adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I thought that was parallax?