I need a bigger shed.

JDog

Mightymariner was the first person in these parts to ask me shooting nearly two years ago when I moved up here. Since then we have enjoyed some fine days out but rarely on any of my land and I have been desperate to find a few pigeons for him to shoot on land where I have the shooting.

We met at 12:00 today and toured land being prepped for spring wheat (how exciting), poor rape (the same) and peas just coming through (ditto). Funny then that I should prefer to go to two fields of beans which the pigeons have been on for two weeks and on which there isn't a single bean left on top. As we sat looking decent lines developed and we immediately disagreed which would be the best place to go. In the end, not wanting a fight, MM agreed to go where I wanted and we set up 30m apart along a hedge with a rotary, two dead birds and some shell decoys.

Of late I have seen good numbers of birds in these parts and what we saw today exceeded the numbers I had seen previously. During the course of the afternoon many hundreds of pigeons went back and forth within our sight and from each group one or two peeled off and came confidently into the decoy pattern whilst the majority continued on their way to a wood in the distance.

We had great shooting for three hours then the birds stopped decoying so we packed up. We picked 72 pigeons.

DSC07590_zpsnygyulfm.jpg

20170420_163600_zpst3ektwjm.jpg

For those agriculturally minded people I would add that the field we shot was barley last year and was hugely infected with black grass. That was left growing over winter and was sprayed off three weeks ago then the beans were direct drilled. The dead black grass is the brown stuff shown in the second picture.

Edited by JDog

JDog is very kind, and I would have been happy to be out and have a few shots, but I know he wanted us to have a good day - and that we did, in spades. When those birds peeled off and decoyed, boy did they decoy well.

He was spot on with what would happen here, and we both had plenty of shooting, at times it was fast and furious.....there were many misses but the bag was about right all things considered.

I will now get him salivating when some new land, planted with peas, gets going with pigeons......

JDog ...great stuff..................see the shed you made is still standing.....................

eeerrrrr......just one thing........just looking at the shed...as i was just tooo dazzled looking at that mound of birds...

QUESTION....

did you "nail " the shed together with...RIVETS ???

JDog ...great stuff..................see the shed you made is still standing.....................

eeerrrrr......just one thing........just looking at the shed...as i was just tooo dazzled looking at that mound of birds...

QUESTION....

did you "nail " the shed together with...RIVETS ???

Old eagle eyes.

The uprights for the shed sit in those metal thingies which bolt down onto the floor. Whilst the rest of the lapped boards are nailed on the bottom two had to be screwed on.

No more technical questions please as I am out of my depth talking of such things.