Scotland SGC application time scale

chrisp

I have applied for my SGC (scottish borders) i used to have a sgc when i lived in england but let it expire about five years ago as i changed jobs and couldnt go beating anymore (it wasnt revoked) and im pleased with progress so far

Application sent 20 feb ,received letter to take to doctor 2 march ,FEO inspection 18 march all went well and officer thought it shouldnt take long for certificate to come through

I know im impatient but i phoned glenrothes today (i believe its all done from there now) to check progress only to be told it hasnt been processed yet and the person wasnt willing to give a rough time scale

Does anyone have any recent experience with scottish application times ? ive read a few horror stories on here about some english areas and hope its not the same up here

Thanks

My SGC renewal (Scottish Borders) went through very quickly. Local police officer did the home visit first week January, contacted my referee within a couple of days, new certificate sent 30th Jan from Glenrothes, almost a month before the old one expired. I know one other person in this town whose SGC was also renewed very quickly a couple of months ago, and issued well in advance of the expiry date for his old certificate. Excellent service from Police Scotland in this instance, and much faster than I have ever known in the past.

Mine is a grant so i expect it to take longer as renewals take priority ,but i thought it was just a case of doing the certificate once my house and myself were inspected

The FEO also phoned my referee the day after the visit

It was a letter which my doctor needed to sign to say there were no mental health issues and they put a marker on my record so the GP will know i hold guns so they can inform police of any issues that may be a problem as regards firearms in the future ,i believe the applicant needs to do this now as the police will no longer get intouch with them on your behalf

I wasnt charged for the service but i was told i would be next time !

Edited by chrisp

The doctors letter is a new thing came in last year they add a marker to your medical record and it flags up to the police immediately if you have any mental held problems.

I'm afraid it doesn't quite literally work like that. It only 'flags up to the police' if the GP is made aware of any mental health problems by the firearms owner, and only then if the GP alerts the police, and only then if the police then act on that information.

I'm afraid it doesn't quite literally work like that. It only 'flags up to the police' if the GP is made aware of any mental health problems by the firearms owner, and only then if the GP alerts the police, and only then if the police then act on that information.

this

• 4 weeks later...

A wee update i phoned the firearms dept at glenrothes last week but all they would say is an application can take up to 16 weeks

ive since emailed the person who arranged the firearms officer visit and they have said they will chase it

Now 12 weeks since my spplication and 9 weeks since my visit

Edited by chrisp

Well yeah obviously that's what I meant the gp obviously needs to be aware of it for it flag up.

Priority is on renewals, as they wish to avoid section 7 extensions, as a result grants are taking longer

I completely get that as in some cases people may need thier certificates for thier work and they dont want to be handing out temp certificates

I was just looking to find out other peoples experiances so i could find out how much of a wait i might be in for !

Cant fault the speed at which the form for the doctor was sent out and the officer visit was sorted ,it seems to be what happens afterwards that takes the time

Another wee update ,after several phonecalls with glenrothes i was given a number for the local unit that is dealing with my application

Spoke to an officer to be told they are still waiting for my doctors to forward the form i left with them to fill in !!

So 9 weeks after the officer visited (10 weeks since i visited the doctor) i have spoken to the doctors who say that i am on the database as being a firearms holder but the receptionist didnt email a copy to the firearms unit for some reason !

Luckily i have a copy which i can scan and email to the officer dealing with my application

So the lesson is dont be afraid to pick up the phone !!

Ignore any replies you get unless the poster has applied for a grant and it was with the same issueing force as you.

Every force goes about this process in a different way leading to much confusion and absolutely NO continuity between them.

• 2 weeks later...