Browning Hunter Heritage or Beretta 687 EELL Classic?

JD140

I'm looking for some help on which one of the above to choose.

I am going to treat myself to a nice gun and have narrowed it down to these two. I intend to do more game shooting but also intend to do a fair bit of clay shooting too, both the models above are classed primarily as game guns and weigh in at around 7.3lbs. Would this be to light for clay shooting? The Browning is a multi choke the Classic a fixed, this doesn't really bother me but if anyone has any experience of either gun I'd appreciate it.

Before anyone mentions it I know the Heritage is available in a heavier sporter version, trouble is it doesn't have the prince of wales grip, which I definitely want. To add to my dilemma there is a Heritage Hunter 2 now available (with a rounder action) which I think must be lighter than the old one. The reason I say this is when I called into my local gunsmith's he had a used original version in which we weighed at 7lbs 10 oz, all the literature I can find says the Heritage 2 weighs 3.3KG (7lbs 3oz), 7oz's lighter!

The answers I am looking for are.

1) Has anyone owned any of these models (ideally both) and their thoughts?

2) The weight issue considering the guns future use?

3) Does anyone know if the older Heritage was heavier than the Heritage Hunter 2?

Plus any other info you can give to make this decision a little easier

Edited by JD140

I'm looking for some help on which one of the above to choose.

I am going to treat myself to a nice gun and have narrowed it down to these two. I intend to do more game shooting but also intend to do a fair bit of clay shooting too, both the models above are classed primarily as game guns and weigh in at around 7.3lbs. Would this be to light for clay shooting? The Browning is a multi choke the Classic a fixed, this doesn't really bother me but if anyone has any experience of either gun I'd appreciate it.

Before anyone mentions it I know the Heritage is available in a heavier sporter version, trouble is it doesn't have the prince of wales grip, which I definitely want. To add to my dilemma there is a Heritage Hunter 2 now available (with a rounder action) which I think must be lighter than the old one. The reason I say this is when I called into my local gunsmith's he had a used original version in which we weighed at 7lbs 10 oz, all the literature I can find says the Heritage 2 weighs 3.3KG (7lbs 3oz), 7oz's lighter!

The answers I am looking for are.

1) Has anyone owned any of these models (ideally both) and their thoughts?

2) The weight issue considering the guns future use?

3) Does anyone know if the older Heritage was heavier than the Heritage Hunter 2?

Plus any other info you can give to make this decision a little easier

The eell is a fantastic gun.ihave two and they are faultless.also the classic is available in multi choke.

I have used a heritage in the past and

It was a nice gun to shoot

Personally browning over beretta for me

If you are looking at new then you could shop around a get a good browning b2g for around the same money,

I picked

My b2g 30" game 3" chambers HP steel proof for £6500 came with genuine case etc and is a far better gun than the heritage or eel

I have used a heritage in the past and

It was a nice gun to shoot

Personally browning over beretta for me

If you are looking at new then you could shop around a get a good browning b2g for around the same money,

I picked

My b2g 30" game 3" chambers HP steel proof for £6500 came with genuine case etc and is a far better gun than the heritage or eel

Thank you for that, did you buy from a retailer or privately. The only b2g's I have found have 27.5" barrels, which are too short for me!

The eell is a fantastic gun.ihave two and they are faultless.also the classic is available in multi choke.

Thanks for the reply. From what I've been told by my local dealer the 687 EELL is available in multi choke, the 687 EELL Classic is available in fixed 1/4 and 1/2 only!

Thanks for the reply. From what I've been told by my local dealer the 687 EELL is available in multi choke, the 687 EELL Classic is available in fixed 1/4 and 1/2 only!

If you look on the Derek Lee Gunsmiths website you will see the classic game multi choke.he is my local dealer and very good.

Thank you for that, did you buy from a retailer or privately. The only b2g's I have found have 27.5" barrels, which are too short for me!

I bought from Elderkins if Spalding as they usually have a good selection.

I would have thought there would be some on gun trader but haven't looked for a while

If you look on the Derek Lee Gunsmiths website you will see the classic game multi choke.he is my local dealer and very good.

Yes it certainly says there is a multi choke for sale on their website. Will give them a call on Monday and check it out.

I bought from Elderkins if Spalding as they usually have a good selection.

I would have thought there would be some on gun trader but haven't looked for a while

Not a million miles from me, may call in and have a look around.

Yes it certainly says there is a multi choke for sale on their website. Will give them a call on Monday and check it out.

He is not open on Mondays until the start of the next season.i was in there last week and saw the classics.well worth a trip out to his shop.

I've been shooting with a Beretta 687S for the last 4 years (it was my first gun). I've shot OK but nothing amazing. Two weeks ago a friend let me shoot his Browning 425 and I've now bought my own. There is a huge difference and the Browning fits me so much better. My girlfriend and I went to our clay ground today and my scores saw an improvement on all stands. What used to be 6's out of 10, I was shooting 8&9's out of 10. I've kept the Beretta for her to use but I'll always have a Browning now.

I've been shooting with a Beretta 687S for the last 4 years (it was my first gun). I've shot OK but nothing amazing. Two weeks ago a friend let me shoot his Browning 425 and I've now bought my own. There is a huge difference and the Browning fits me so much better. My girlfriend and I went to our clay ground today and my scores saw an improvement on all stands. What used to be 6's out of 10, I was shooting 8&9's out of 10. I've kept the Beretta for her to use but I'll always have a Browning now.

Which just goes to prove that the Beretta didn't fit you properly and the new Browning is a better fit. :rolleyes:

Always worth spending a few quid getting a gun fitted whether it is a Beretta, a Browning or anything else. :good:

have a factory pair of 28" EELL Classic's, fixed chokes 1/4 and 1/2 love them, to nice for clays, a pal has a heritage had a shoot with it, didnt like it, I bought the b725 black for clays and ducks, toying with the idea to sell them all to get a grade 5 b725 sporter or EELL diamond pigeon sporter, there was a nice one in malmo's last time I was in.

I would have grade 5 B725 sporter over the heritage, shoots nicer, bonus is no problems as mechanical not inertia

Edited by itchy trigger

Which just goes to prove that the Beretta didn't fit you properly and the new Browning is a better fit. :rolleyes:

Always worth spending a few quid getting a gun fitted whether it is a Beretta, a Browning or anything else. :good:

The problem with fitting a gun to novice are 2 fold

1 they have not got a consistent mount to measure work off so accurate dimensions can't be established

2 they will develop their style of shooting as the learn and therefore alter the initial inconsistent mount to some different (sometimes massively different).

Daf, I accept your points and was aiming mine at the tone of the post.

Somewhere in the 4 years GH shot the unfitted Beretta he should have made the decision to have it fitted.

He states in his subsequent post that he had thought fitting was a waste of time!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

I like the Berettas over most Brownings but it's just personnel preference I don't think one is a better gun. See what fits and feels better and what you prefer the look of.

You could probably get a nice used ASE or older SO Beretta for your budget. The 687 is still only a 687 no matter the grade same as the 525 or 725. Same basic gun inside.

I have just recently treated myself to a heritage and think it's fantastic. Just lovely to shoot. I have tried a eell but it just didn't suit me and I personally prefer the feel of a browning.

Make sure if your spending that kind of money you get a nice bit of wood on it!

post-22241-0-52307000-1492889804_thumb.jpeg

OP Why not widen your thinking? I've shot medium / higher end Brownings and Beretta. Of these the Brownings suited me more. Then I bought a Perazzi............ :yes::yes:

That what I was thinking, I think the two guns mentioned are lovely but essentially well finished silver pigeon & 525, where as for that money i do believe Perazzi is a totally different offering

IMHO I would find it hard to look past an MK38 grade 5 which I believe are fantastic value for money, but that is just me

I would try and beg/borrow the guns you are interested in - and give them a decent trial ....... and see which suits you best. All the names mentioned make good reliable guns. When you have chosen, consider a visit to a fitter before finalising to ensure that any minor 'tweaks' can be accommodated.

Lighter weight (e.g. around 7 lbs rather than nearer 8) would not worry me unless you wish to shoot a lot of heavy loads.

have a factory pair of 28" EELL Classic's, fixed chokes 1/4 and 1/2 love them, to nice for clays, a pal has a heritage had a shoot with it, didnt like it, I bought the b725 black for clays and ducks, toying with the idea to sell them all to get a grade 5 b725 sporter or EELL diamond pigeon sporter, there was a nice one in malmo's last time I was in.

I would have grade 5 B725 sporter over the heritage, shoots nicer, bonus is no problems as mechanical not inertia

I think there's also a Heritage b725 sporter available now if you want slightly better wood.

I would try and beg/borrow the guns you are interested in - and give them a decent trial ....... and see which suits you best. All the names mentioned make good reliable guns. When you have chosen, consider a visit to a fitter before finalising to ensure that any minor 'tweaks' can be accommodated.

Lighter weight (e.g. around 7 lbs rather than nearer 8) would not worry me unless you wish to shoot a lot of heavy loads.

That's just the answer I was looking for. I do intend to have it fitted and think I am leaning more toward the Heritage hunter, just such a nice looking gun and feels great in the hand.