Browning Hunter Heritage or Beretta 687 EELL Classic?

JD140

I have just recently treated myself to a heritage and think it's fantastic. Just lovely to shoot. I have tried a eell but it just didn't suit me and I personally prefer the feel of a browning.

Make sure if your spending that kind of money you get a nice bit of wood on it!

Great looking gun. Is that the heritage hunter 2 with the rounded action, or the heavier heritage sporter? What do you mainly use it for, purely game or a mixture of game and clays?

Great looking gun. Is that the heritage hunter 2 with the rounded action, or the heavier heritage sporter? What do you mainly use it for, purely game or a mixture of game and clays?

Yes it's the hunter 2 with the rounded action. I have bought it purely for game. I use my 725 black for clays which is a nice heavy gun. The Heritage is lighter but not too light to not use for clays if you wanted.

Thank you for all the varied and interesting replies, after much deliberation I have 90% decided on a Browning B725 Hunter 2 grade 5 with 30" barrels. This being after making numerous trips to my local dealer and handling a fair selection of guns. He has kindly agreed to let me try a used Hunter and Sporter before I finally decide, but from the handling I feel the Hunter is going to be my eventual choice, slightly lighter for game days but not too light for 50 - 100 clays. I also have some reservations about the palm swell on the Sporter, maybe during use I may change my mind but just handling it in the shop it feels very strange. The Hunter's grip and fore end are more to my liking and I prefer the game scene engraving (available on the Hunter) much more than the scroll on the Sporter. All this being said I may still opt for the Sporter if I feel it handles better, or if the Hunter knocks me about.

All I need to to find now is a decent syndicate to join, so if anyone knows of any please let me know.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.

One small point. You say 'if it knocks you about' - neither of these guns should 'knock you about' with normal loads, and if this happens, you need to look closely at gun mount/fit. Although some (very few) syndicates may provide exceptionally high birds needing a heavy load, this is not the norm for the vast majority of shoots, where birds are shot within the 'normal' limit of 40 yards or so. These birds will be killed cleanly by a correctly placed 1 ounce load (either from a 12, or smaller gauge) gun. There are two usual reasons for getting 'knocked about', most commonly poor gun mount/fit, the other being too heavy a load in a light gun. From what you have said, I don't believe either of these will occur as you have taken a sensible thought through approach, but should it happen, look to fit/mount..

One small point. You say 'if it knocks you about' - neither of these guns should 'knock you about' with normal loads, and if this happens, you need to look closely at gun mount/fit. Although some (very few) syndicates may provide exceptionally high birds needing a heavy load, this is not the norm for the vast majority of shoots, where birds are shot within the 'normal' limit of 40 yards or so. These birds will be killed cleanly by a correctly placed 1 ounce load (either from a 12, or smaller gauge) gun. There are two usual reasons for getting 'knocked about', most commonly poor gun mount/fit, the other being too heavy a load in a light gun. From what you have said, I don't believe either of these will occur as you have taken a sensible thought through approach, but should it happen, look to fit/mount..

if the Hunter knocks me about. No gun should knock you about. If you are getting problems with recoil then either you aren't holding it correctly or firmly enough. all of this nonsense about guns kicking like mules is rubbish.

Maybe I used the wrong phrase with "if the Hunter knocks me about". I've been shooting for forty years and understand how to mount/hold a gun and the importance of a correct gun fit. What I was saying is that the Hunter being a game gun is roughly 1/2lb lighter than the sporter and if I were to shoot a significant number of clays in one outing it may be more noticeable than with the sporter.

The Browning is the more robust gun with Berettas pondering to the Yanks demand for narrow and shallow actions. Berettas pre delivery fit and finish checks are non existent as the Yanks can't get them fast enough, Browning going backwards now compared to pre early 1980's build quality.

Clays is different to game with a clay gun. I shoot a very heavy clay gun and it's not for me on a game day I'm no small fry but carrying it miles in boggy or snowy fields and throwing it around after Pheasants and Partridges ain't for me it get tiring. Each to their own though.

On clays you could shoot 300 DTL targets and hardly move the gun. 300 good sporting targets is a different thing.

I too am old school clay gun for clays game gun for game,semi auto for whatever you want to shoot.

Weight is a very subjective thing. Each to their own. I shoot game and clays, but not a large number of shots per session at each. Typically clays is 50 cartridges at a session, and game more like 20-25, or walked up grouse - perhaps 5 cartridges in a day.

I prefer a s/s for all and use 21g Hull Comp X for clays - and 26g Hull Imperial for driven game, Gamebore black gold 32g or the Hull Imperial for walked up grouse ........ all (usually) from a 30 year old AyA No 1 weighing about 6 3/4 lbs and carefully custom fitted to me. This gun shoots 3 nor 4 thousand cartridges a year with no problems

I have clays guns (8 1/2 lbs) Beretta SO and light game guns (Powell lightweight at 6 1/4 lbs), but have found that the AyA No 1 with the RIGHT load is just my 'goto' gun. I have never had a problem with recoil, and prefer the fast pointabiity of light gun. Some heavy clay guns I have handled feel like wielding a railway sleeper to me, but others shoot well with them.

Yes it certainly says there is a multi choke for sale on their website. Will give them a call on Monday and check it out.

Not a million miles from me, may call in and have a look around.

Elderkins used to offer free fitting too !

if the Hunter knocks me about. No gun should knock you about. If you are getting problems with recoil then either you aren't holding it correctly or firmly enough. all of this nonsense about guns kicking like mules is rubbish.

Of course gun fit has no bearing on the issue ?

Clays is different to game with a clay gun. I shoot a very heavy clay gun and it's not for me on a game day I'm no small fry but carrying it miles in boggy or snowy fields and throwing it around after Pheasants and Partridges ain't for me it get tiring. Each to their own though.

On clays you could shoot 300 DTL targets and hardly move the gun. 300 good sporting targets is a different thing.

I too am old school clay gun for clays game gun for game,semi auto for whatever you want to shoot.

i was talking about sporting,

i was talking about sporting,

You must love the clays to shoot 300 sporting in a day, used to do a fair few charity simulated game days with multiple flushes shooting 250 to 300 a day with a clay gun was very sore by end of the day.

Can understand the reason for lightweight game guns when walking miles or needing something fast handling.