Lawn

Ade1971

Yep as above use some weed and feed and water it in.

My dads lawns exceptional and prior to turning to gardening I inherited a lawn that I was going to pull up and returf and my dad advised to give it a weed and feed treatment and much to my amazement I had a pleasantly lawn, weed and moss free.

Then just try and cut regularly and maybe scarily once a year if you can borrow a scarifier, if you can't and your in Notts there's one here you can have.

L

If you go down the weed and feed route, which I would first get a decent a spreader my missus tried doing it by hand a few years ago and made a right mess by being helpful?

I scarify once sometimes twice a year and an electric one ain't dear just don't bother using the bag on it to collect run it round then rake up and finally mow it to hoover up, it will look bad for a bit but brakes up the weeds and takes out the dead grass letting air in

Before you attempt any remedial work with weed and Moss killer and fertiliser get on your hands and knees and look carefully at the lawn. If there is insufficient grass to push through the weeds or there is no grass content in the moss patches then you will be better returfing the lawn. The end of April or early May is the perfect time to do it.

Edited by JDog

When I was in a similar situation i found returf was the best way. As you start with no weeds, and i found it easier to keep them off than to try and get rid of established ones..

Massive difference in the amount of work needed though.

The Weed and Feed does things steadily, it's great to see the moss turn black and the grass start to take over from it in patches.

One of my neighbours went down the artificial grass root, effective but expensive, on the other side they have tried to solve things by scalping the lawn so short it is under stress.

Massive difference in the amount of work needed though.

The Weed and Feed does things steadily, it's great to see the moss turn black and the grass start to take over from it in patches.

One of my neighbours went down the artificial grass root, effective but expensive, on the other side they have tried to solve things by scalping the lawn so short it is under stress.

Artificial grass is something id never do. The lawn I had to do was at a point of no return. So Turf maybe a long job but in my case was well worth it

I have a lawn that is plagued with moss. However it is proving to be a real attraction for Blackbirds and Thrushes who spend the whole day digging through the moss, I assume looking for grubs/insects/worms. I counted 11 on it at one point today. They leave a right old mess but I enjoy watching them.

i had a lovely lawn till nov last year i have 5 dog s 2 bitches all in out side kennels and never go on lawn my son and family had to move in with us for two months with one dog two bitches which he wouldnt put in out side kennels and were in spare room but let them out in garden morning and nights bitch rings in lawn all over thankfully their dogs gon now repairing lawn