Bywell Sporting Weekend

shaun4860

Well,

I have spent the last 2 days watching the selection shoots at Bywell up here in Northumberland,

What a great weekend it has been,

Excellent targets, fantastic weather,

Over the whole weekend I never heard a complaint or gripe but plenty of praise,

It's what we have needed up here in Northumberland for a long time.....a place to go and shoot sporting,

It was very well supported by Browning (725 Pro Sport to overall high gun, an a Winchester SX4 to be won on the pool shoot both days), Hull cartridge company (supplying cartridges to class winners)

Bywell should be very proud of themselves :good:

:shaun:

How much was the entry Shaun for this 100 bird shoot? Heard a few gripes about the cost. Did give out a goodie bag from what I was told with a box of Sovereign extended range carts and a cap along with some shooting mags.

Great to see shoots up north but this was a North of England selection shoot.

To be honest I don't know how much the entry was because I wasn't shooting?

Yup, I saw people with goodie bags but again don't know what was in them,

I saw Lynn (100 miles away) so she will be able to tell you better about costs and what was in the bags as could probably bunnykiller as he was one of the Ref's.

From what I gather it was an England selection shoot and Scottish selection shoot on the Saturday and just English on the Sunday,

Costs of these shoots is set by the CPSA isn't it?... but they will only creep up as everything does, we pay £80 to shoot the Essex Masters which is 200 birds

100 birds at Bywell would cost you £26 (2 x £13) I think I paid £27 to shoot birds only at the last 100 bird Sportrap competition.

But until John Henry started putting Sporting shoots on at Bywell there wasn't anywhere else up here to shoot them so fair play to him. They have put a lot of investment into what was primarily a Trap/Skeet ground so it can only get better and better.

:shaun:

£41 or 42 was mentioned today by lads who shot it. Noticed it was an England selection shoot as well as North of England so I was wrong in thinking just a Znorthern selection shoot. Quite a tough shoot too.

I know this is the norm darn scarf but a fair bit more than we're used to paying pop here. Mid thirties is the usual prices.

Have to agree the more Sporting grounds up north the better. But you can't get any more North :lol:

Edited by figgy

Lads I shoot with were charged the 42 and they're English shooting the northern team selection shoot. They thought it a bit expensive.

If them prices you state are correct they made more money out of the shoot then.

Edited by figgy

Flashman if they can set a course and charge 26 per 100 clays fine that's about normal for the north area. A tenner more for comp ok levy to pay etc but 16 more is a bit much. It may be the normal prices round London way.

As you say plenty of straw bail shoots, way prices are going more are going to straw bailers and not doing as many comps.

Edited by figgy

Just a quick update to the Bywell shoot, as you say it was both an England Team selection shoot and a North of England Team selection shoot.. The cost was £42 if you shot comp and less if you went birds only. The targets were superb and very dropable if you were complacent. No room for errors.,exactly the correct targets for an occasion shoot.Well done Bywell they got it exactly right and no breakdowns. The goody bag, had a box of extreem range Hull cartridges ,a Hull baseball cap, a very nice Bywell soft towel, The team at Bywell had obviously put a lot of effort and thought into the running of the event... from Auntie. :good:

I am a bit annoyed at myself for not shooting at this event, I have done a couple of sportrap competitions at Bywell and it is a nice ground.

£45 is the normal 100 target competition entry price in Scotland so £42 is a bit less than normal. Sure it is more expensive than practice rate, but there were referees to be paid, the setup of a bespoke course, contribution towards prizes and a bit of profit for the ground and more power to their elbow in that respect too.

They have made a big effort to deliver what is a really good quality ground with good facilities.

£37 B/o was spot on and much better value than the week before at Snaith, Nice to have a choice on the pool shoots, felt like an event,Weather helped and a good set of clays that beat me to death on my scorecard. They do well with the flat field now, just too far to consider in regular travel range.