A rare sight nowadays.

JDog

Modern farming methods leave little room for unwanted plant species whether it be in cereal crops or grass. 'Selective' weed killers are anything but - how could they possibly tell the difference between a dandelion and a wild flower?

I have passed this patch of Primula veris every day for a week now and decided to take some photos today. This is a permanent grass field, not a temporary ley, at the top of the Lincolnshire Wolds. It is quite obvious that this field has never been sprayed in many a year, possibly never, and the primulas are growing in abundance.

DSC07593_zpsmp8drf59.jpg

DSC07597_zpssjohpl1z.jpg

What a wonderful sight, jd would all pasture have been like this pre intense farming practice? I remember reading an article in which a farmer down south had done a deep plough and brought up dormant cornflower seed which had naturally germinated and said was probably over a hundred years old. Just think of the myriad of flora and fauna which benefit from that field.

Very pretty flower.I have never actually seen one in the flesh but have some tattooed on the calf of my leg along with a poem in homage to my Favourite Wildfowling/Shooting/Countryside/Naturalist/ Children's author.

I have been admiring a similar Wild flower' this past few weeks in a couple of fields directly behind the house and that is the Cuckoo flower or Lady's Smock.

hello, yes Jd and keep up with your good posts.

Not for one minute was I directing that post at the highly educated PW massive. Instead it was aimed at my good friend Wilksy whose brain is a receptacle for information useful or otherwise.

I have planted them in the open glades of my little wood and they are doing well along with self seeded Ladies Smock, some proper bluebells, aconites I also planted 20 yrs ago.

Used to enjoy cowslips on the roadside driving down the dual carriageway towards Swindon and also along the M50

Beautiful picture, thank you for sharing.

Edited by Walker570

What a wonderful sight, jd would all pasture have been like this pre intense farming practice? I remember reading an article in which a farmer down south had done a deep plough and brought up dormant cornflower seed which had naturally germinated and said was probably over a hundred years old. Just think of the myriad of flora and fauna which benefit from that field.

One wildflower sight to equal this is the display of Fritillaria meleagris at Ducklington and Cricklade meadows. Again they are growing in old grassland which has never been sprayed and probably never fertilised. Look them up. They are beautiful plants.

Very pretty flower.I have never actually seen one in the flesh but have some tattooed on the calf of my leg along with a poem in homage to my Favourite Wildfowling/Shooting/Countryside/Naturalist/ Children's author.

I have been admiring a similar Wild flower' this past few weeks in a couple of fields directly behind the house and that is the Cuckoo flower or Lady's Smock.

BB ?

Not for one minute was I directing that post at the highly educated PW massive. Instead it was aimed at my good friend Wilksy whose brain is a receptacle for information useful or otherwise.

Haha! You're too kind Jdog although I prefer to think of my brain as a dry sponge being splashed by the font of all knowledge!

One wildflower sight to equal this is the display of Fritillaria meleagris at Ducklington and Cricklade meadows. Again they are growing in old grassland which has never been sprayed and probably never fertilised. Look them up. They are beautiful plants.

Ahh thank you!

just looked this up and yes what a beautiful flower, our landscape must have been a pretty picture prior to the 1900's.

http://www.ducklingtonparishcouncil.gov.uk/the-parish/ducklington-fritillaries/

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

The picture of a cowslip plant and the verse:-

'The wonder of the world,

The beauty and power,

the shapes of things,

their colours, lights and shades;

these I saw,

Look ye also while life lasts.'

Was at the front of a lot of books written by Denys Watkins Pitchford ('BB')

I always felt this was very poignant....I assume this is what you were referring to?

The picture of a cowslip plant and the verse:-

'The wonder of the world,

The beauty and power,

the shapes of things,

their colours, lights and shades;

these I saw,

Look ye also while life lasts.'

Was at the front of a lot of books written by Denys Watkins Pitchford ('BB')

I always felt this was very poignant....I assume this is what you were referring to?

To those who inquired' Yes it is of course 'BB' I was referring to. As some on here will be aware from other places 'I am a 'BB' Nut. I have read around 25 of his book's and was a memeber of the 'BB' Society from the early day's and used to contribute articles and stories for the 'Sky Gypsy Journal' (I am sure the editor had his work cut out regarding my grammar, spelling and punctuation.)

I could have added botanist,entomologist,ornithologist and Artist to this remarkable Man's talents.

I am pretty sure 'BB' could have conjured up a very atmospheric description of the 'Rare sight' and scene captured in the OP's photo's.

We had fields of poppies a couple of years ago when they stopped putting some weed killer on the fields it seems the seeds just lay dormant in the fields for years and as soon as they stopped putting down the weed killer they all came to life could it be something like that with the cowslips or is it just down to the milled winter we have had.

Super goose, don't shout at me but I have never heard of BB, can you recommend a couple of books to look for, would the library have them?

Can't now think of the author but I read a book about catching baby eels a while back and it was a great read about his life and the rivers so I like it when a good read comes along unexpected

Thanks

Super goose, don't shout at me but I have never heard of BB, can you recommend a couple of books to look for, would the library have them?

Can't now think of the author but I read a book about catching baby eels a while back and it was a great read about his life and the rivers so I like it when a good read comes along unexpected

Thanks

Not wanting to Hijack or stray off topic (may be guilty of that already) I will send you a quick PM.

hello, have seen those at ducklington when i fished the windrush, now the council have blocked the road its a fair walk but worth it just to see the flower meadow