Inside dog kennel flooring?

Sean Richo

In the process of turning half of my garage into an inside dog run. Just trying to think of the cheapest option for flooring. It's currently just concrete. Do I paint it with a good quality floor paint or do I put vinyl down (Lino) or do I tile it. What do other people use? Also leave it as and put sawdust down has also been mentioned. Any ideas?

Definitely need to seal the floor.

Best bet is probably a 2 pack floor paint as should be the hardest wearing.

You can then put some dust down and will be easy to sweep up.

Tiles and grout will absorb the **** and smell eventually.

That or try to get some of the proper rubber hygienic flooring that most of the vets have on the floor that then runs up the walls a couple of inches.

Thanks for all the replies. As a matter of interest does anybody else keep their dogs in an indoor kennel all the time. It will be exercised in morning before work and after and will have a short period around dinner where it gets some attention and a run around the garden. I have been advised to keep it kennelled the first seven or eight months as it helps with training and then it will have the run of the garden when it's older. Does anybody keep a dog in a indoor kennel most of the day? Had a talk with a professional trainer and he said a lot of the top field trial trainers are doing this now as less distractions for the dogs. I was thinking when the dogs a bit older giving it run of garden and yard of a day and kennel it inside of a night.

When u say giving the dog the 'run of the yard do u mean unsupervised and when ur away as well.

It will depend on ur dog but many dogs would get bored being left alone in the garden and start getting up to mischief out of boredum, running in circles, digging, breaking out etc, whereas if they're in the kennel/run theysoon learn just to go to sleep and relax and they'res no temptions so are actually more content.

I think more and more folk are kennelling dogs inside more for security aswell.

I like the idea of dogs having an outside run and they do enoy lying/basking out in the sun on nice days, but thats a personal thing for me

As a different idea u couldn't cut a hole in the exterior wall of shed and build a run in the garden and have ur sleeping box in the shed?

Althou to be fair u'd prbably be better off just buying an outside sleeping box too (and save cutting a hole in ur wall)

Possibly different as inside but i've never really seen the need to paint concrete for a dog run, generally it doesnae last,(seen plenty of thread previously with folk even slagging the really good 2 coat paints/resins etc) can be slippy.

I've never really known concrete to take the smell that much if it has a good finish.

I'm just building a new kennels/run at moment and don't intend to paint/treat the concrete runs (think will tile the sleeping boxes thou)

Biggest probelm u might have with a garage kennel is the lack of fall in the floor, most floors will be level

To be honest I have had two terriers that have lived outside of a day for around seven years and never had a problem. We lost one last year and now we have to young babies the wife is at home now so the remaining terrier stays in now of a day with the wife and kids. The thing is the wife doesn't want anymore dogs in the house so basically my solution was turn the garage into a kennnel for the evenings then let it have the run of the garden of a day with a outside kennel of a day. The garden is secure it's got a high wall around the perimeter and only decking and Indian stone down so don't have to worry about digging. I could put a dog flap into the garage but am trying to keep it as sound tight as possible incase the pup cries the first week or so. Once dogs established can put a hole in wall no problem it can come in and out as it pleases then. Swimming pool paint has been recommended for the floor so going to give that a try.

Depends if its a pet or a gundog, and even then u'd mibee be fine to leave it in garden all day, but probably 1 of those things that some dogs would be fine with while others may get up to mischief.

For me i think leaving a dog in a garden all day is putting too much temptation/chances of bad habits developing and ur not on hand to watch it biut possibly i'm seeing a problem that dosen't really exist?

My springer is now absolutely obsessed with looking up trees now, i'm convincd it started when i had a bird feeder up in the garden and he would sit at kennel door just mesmerised by the birds.

Not really a problem for working him, but seen plenty of 'toff's' dogs pro trained to a high standard and allowed free reign in big gardens (but to be fair these gardens often have game rabbits in them the dogs can chase at will) and it doesn't take them long to become as wild as the hilss :whistling:

I think I will see how it goes will leave him kennelled at the start and as he gets older see how it goes if he is content he can stay in there. It's going to be a learning curve to be honest. The lads who I have got dogs from leave there's kennelled all day and to be honest they are fine no problems at all. Thanks for the advice.

All garage floors slope to the outside and have a 100mm drop from main house if attached,that's if done properly.

I would use a 2 part epoxy resin,will not only be hard wearing but waterproof as well,then have a raised bedding area,cut huge cat flap into external run.

Have built a couple like this for customers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of building a new shed/run for mine. Inside the sleeping quarters will just be concrete on the floor with some horse matts over it to stop chills. Outside, in the run I am tempted to tile it and use epoxy grout, works well from what I've heard.