Cartridge prices shock

dbob

As the chart above shows lead has not gone up, it peaked in 2008 and there was a resulting dip in 2009, that's called the bounce, but other than that its been very stable.

If you smooth out the high and low from 2008 and 2009 it hasn't really changed in ten years.

So when your RFD says its the price of lead, the war in Iraq/Syria/Afganistan, or what ever you can say that's rubbish, lead is virtually half the price it was in 2008, and see how he answers that

Edited by Vince Green

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone must work in/know the cost price your average gun shop pays for cartridges and the profit margins?

I've been told so many times how 'it's barely worth bothering with cartridges for what we make'......but I never believe it !

I remember working on a farm near Witney in Oxfordshire and going into the local gunshop for the guy to try and sell me their own rebranded budget game/pigeon load (hull chevron loaded in 6 shot). What an awesome shell, and the price.....£74/thousand!! This was in 2000.

Guest stevo

Someone must work in/know the cost price your average gun shop pays for cartridges and the profit margins?

I've been told so many times how 'it's barely worth bothering with cartridges for what we make'......but I never believe it !

I remember working on a farm near Witney in Oxfordshire and going into the local gunshop for the guy to try and sell me their own rebranded budget game/pigeon load (hull chevron loaded in 6 shot). What an awesome shell, and the price.....£74/thousand!! This was in 2000.

Between £7.50 and £10 a slab

Myself and 3 others have been in touch with a top British manufacturer in the past couple of weeks about buying a pallet load ( 26000 or 104 slabs ) and we would have a total saving of just over £800

Myself and 3 others have been in touch with a top British manufacturer in the past couple of weeks about buying a pallet load ( 26000 or 104 slabs ) and we would have a total saving of just over £800

hello, thats 26 slabs each, 6,500 carts, each saving the cost of a 1000 at todays prices,( about £200 ) :good:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Don't know about these things - just a former hydraulic engineer used to working at about c20% GPM dependent upon order size for system design/build.

Would these highlighted figures be considered a fair margin?

Guest stevo

Don't know about these things - just a former hydraulic engineer used to working at about c20% GPM dependent upon order size for system design/build.

Would these highlighted figures be considered a fair margin?[/quote

From some of the price lists I have seen yes. The more expensive the shell. The bigger the profit margin.

Makes me smile some of this, why is profit such a foul word for some of you? Do you work for free try asking a trades man to do work for minimum wage hourly rate? Or go buy some car parts and see the profit the main dealers have on them.

For cartridges it has all been small profit but sell a lot, just may be that business model is in jeapody at this time their is certainly a lot of competition in the market given the number of different makes available to us.

Both the manufacture and the retailer need to make a profit or they will not stay in business.

Guest stevo

Makes me smile some of this, why is profit such a foul word for some of you? Do you work for free try asking a trades man to do work for minimum wage hourly rate? Or go buy some car parts and see the profit the main dealers have on them.

For cartridges it has all been small profit but sell a lot, just may be that business model is in jeapody at this time their is certainly a lot of competition in the market given the number of different makes available to us.

Both the manufacture and the retailer need to make a profit or they will not stay in business.

This as long it's fair. Edited by stevo

This as long it's fair.

+1

We don't know how much Stevo and his mates paid, but working purely from the figures given - £800 saving and 1000 priced at £200, then that equates to just over a 15% GPM. That seems eminently fair to me with regard to the RFD profit. Cheap even. What we still don't know is the manufacturers' %s, but given the competition and unless they're working a cartel, which is doubtful, In view of Post #11, I also can't see what all the fuss is about.

Edited by wymberley

+ 1 Anyway nothing comes more expensive than the wife, I can live with the price of cartridges.

I worked for a big shop selling millions of carts yearly. We were very competitive on price and made 10% profit. After you've paid for them, moved them twice, kept them warm and dry, you really are making little!

Cartridge manuafacters seem to all be pimping about in range rovers etc so better re think whose making the big profit

It is due to BMW & Mercedes raising their prices .

You really cannot expect Cartridge Company employees to drive Astra's or Mondeo's ?????

A bloody total rip off .

Sadly it is the young working family man who will ultimately suffer , by being unable to afford to shoot .

Very greedy and shortsighted by the cartridge companies.

We tighten our belts and graft to afford to shoot whilst others slacken theirs to make way for the corporate dinners and over indulgence .

Totally agree as the above applies to me working hard and struggling to afford to shoot as family comes first

I was speaking to an employee of a large shooting ground about the benefits of buying a pallet of cartridges between a few mates.

We were told for every pallet of cartridges bought you ended up saving the equivalent of a 1000 cartridges, so that worked out at roughly £190-£200 saving if you bought a pallet at a time.....

Not a lot for pulling out a considerable sum to buy a pallet.

:shaun: