Cartridge prices shock

dbob

I was speaking to an employee of a large shooting ground about the benefits of buying a pallet of cartridges between a few mates.

We were told for every pallet of cartridges bought you ended up saving the equivalent of a 1000 cartridges, so that worked out at roughly £190-£200 saving if you bought a pallet at a time.....

Not a lot for pulling out a considerable sum to buy a pallet.

:shaun:

How many on a pallet?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevo

I was speaking to an employee of a large shooting ground about the benefits of buying a pallet of cartridges between a few mates.

We were told for every pallet of cartridges bought you ended up saving the equivalent of a 1000 cartridges, so that worked out at roughly £190-£200 saving if you bought a pallet at a time.....

Not a lot for pulling out a considerable sum to buy a pallet.

:shaun:

It's always the same old chat. It's like they all get the same script delivered with the cartridges haha

Read my post on how much we are looking at saving

The shells were looking at are £235 ish to buy by the thou that's a total of £6110

Buy the same but a pallet load of 26K we can get them for £5305

A bit more than a couple of hundred quid

It's always the same old chat. It's like they all get the same script delivered with the cartridges haha

The shells were looking at are £235 ish to buy by the thou that's a total of £6110

Maybe you were going origianlly pay RRP then they did it with a bit of discount.

Guest stevo

Maybe you were going origianlly pay RRP then they did it with a bit of discount.

No ... if we bought the 26 K a thousand at a time it would have cost us £6110.00

But

Buying the same shells but in one pallet with 26 K on it ( the lot in one hit ) it would only cost us £5305

A total saving of just over £800 for buying in bulk

Guest stevo

It's only £30 a thousand which concidering there out lay is not that much buy the time you take storing. Lighting. Transport. Insurance. Rates . Ect ect. Plus they still have to sell them a bit sharpish to make a realistic profit. Also keep in mind most shops/ RFDs won't buy 26 k of just one brand. So if there buying in lots of different type there profit margin will be different to on each brand.

The people who are really ripping people off are the clay grounds when you only want to buy a couple of boxes and being charged £7.50 for something that costs £5 a box if you buy it buy the slab

Never heard anyone on here complain about the price of a new Bentley or Purdey. Probably because it's totally academic as we can't afford one. Provided the price of anything is not unduly excessive, is it fair to criticise the maker or his dealer simply because one can't afford his/their product? The problem is is that as we have no figures available, we don't know what fair is. This subject is a regular topic and some five years ago one member wrote a piece but decided not to post as he figured that no one would listen and he'd have been wasting his time. Shame. I for one would have liked to hear what he had to say as he was sufficiently well placed to speak with authority.

That is quite a saving but as others have said storage would be an issue apart from the wife having to dust all of those boxes is there any laws concerning that much ammo in the house?

Guest stevo

That is quite a saving but as others have said storage would be an issue apart from the wife having to dust all of those boxes is there any laws concerning that much ammo in the house?

Yes that's why there would three of us chipping in that way it's only 35 slabs each not the end of the world is it ?

And no you keep as much as you want

Edited by stevo

Yes that's why there would three of us chipping in that way it's only 35 slabs each not the end of the world is it ?

And no you keep as much as you want

Stevo, I suggest you read explosive regulations ER2014 or talk to your supplier who should know the law.

Because you are wrong the maximum smokeless powder you can store without a licence is 15kg that includes that within the cartridges or ammo or lose powder you may have for reloading.

For cartridges the 15kg is assumed to equal 10,000 cartridges.

Anybody who stores cartridges, ammo or reloads really should read ER2014 to ensure they comply.

Edited by rbrowning2

Guest stevo

Stevo, I suggest you read explosive regulations ER2014 or talk to your supplier who should know the law.

Because you are wrong the maximum smokeless powder you can store without a licence is 15kg that includes that within the cartridges or ammo or lose powder you may have for reloading.

For cartridges the 15kg is assumed to equal 10,000 cartridges.

Yep your 100% right. However that's in one location 😜

Guest stevo

Agree, just did not want anybody reading your post thinking they could store any amount they like in their house/garage/shed.

What make are you buying?

I know what you mean 👍 Out of my share I will keep about 5 k at home and the rest will be up the farm.

You have PM

Never heard anyone on here complain about the price of a new Bentley or Purdey. Probably because it's totally academic as we can't afford one. Provided the price of anything is not unduly excessive, is it fair to criticise the maker or his dealer simply because one can't afford his/their product? The problem is is that as we have no figures available, we don't know what fair is. This subject is a regular topic and some five years ago one member wrote a piece but decided not to post as he figured that no one would listen and he'd have been wasting his time. Shame. I for one would have liked to hear what he had to say as he was sufficiently well placed to speak with authority.

Isn't it more the fact that if there's such massive profit in it, and there's no barriers to entry, someone could clean up selling them for a bit less - and securing a massive chunk of the market?

Isn't it more the fact that if there's such massive profit in it, and there's no barriers to entry, someone could clean up selling them for a bit less - and securing a massive chunk of the market?

The unhighlighted bit makes sense, but I am sorry that I don't understand the highlighted bit in relation to the quoted post.

Edit:

PS With this subject and with no idea of actual production costs, as ever we'll end up going nowhere and it might just be worth noting that the Op legged it four days and 75 posts ago.

Edited by wymberley