TV's

shaun4860

Yes I know it's been done to death but my telly died tonight after a short illness, (started Sunday) :no:

So.......

This is what I'm looking at

SAMSUNG
UE40KU6400

Before you all start, I want a Samsung and this seems to fit the bill, I was just wondering if anyone had one?

:shaun:

Shaun Samsung make most of the LCD screens for TVs computers etc for other manufacturers. Sony make their own.

Don't think you can buy a bad tv these days. If you like the picture the features and the price go for it.

In my house with my children's bedrooms inc we have a Toshiba a Sony Bravia a Samsung a Panasonic plasma and a LG. We all like different TVs but all agree the LG has the best picture of the LCD ones.

My parents have a Samsung curved screen tv and like it.

I bought the UE49KU6500 a few weeks ago and it's an amazing tv for the money. I know it's a bigger screen and your model is not curved but it seems to have a similar spec. I looked a quite a few around the £5 - 600 price range and the Samsung and Sony's seemed the best value for money.

Check that yours has all the catch up tv apps as mine was missing 4OD and this is a common Samsung issue apparently. Now TV and Netflix apps are a bonus though.

I haven't seen any 4K programmes as yet but the HD quality looks stunning to my eyes. The inclusion of built in Freesat clinched the deal for me as freeview reception is dodgy where I live.

Go for it!

We bought a 50" Hitachi smart tv & sound bar last year- was about £580 but £100 of that was the sound bar, best £100 I've ever spent, the sound was absolutely shocking on the standard tv.

As already said- all tvs are pretty good these days, just depends what you like the look of I guess 👍 we bought from Tescos at home purely as they were giving £100 in store vouchers with certain deals.

Isn't there limited films and programs being produced in 4K , I'm sure I read something about the technology on the TVs being far advanced of the production on film sets

We've made loads of stuff in 4K, it's a misunderstood term as actually it's only more pixels - the deal breaker is HDR/UHD which is more dynamic range so closer to what the eye sees. The sticking point has been all the manufacturers and broadcasters couldn't agree on a standard but one has now been agreed so you should start to see some roll out soon. A big problem is the data is roughly 8 times more than an HD signal so bandwidth is going to turn into a bun fight during big sports events like Olympics and World Cup etc.

Also, the curved telly is total snake oil, it only benefits one person sat in exactly the central point of the curve!

I've got a Sony Bravia, it's out of warranty now but it's been very reliable.

Panel is samsung but the software driving it is Sony. A good set. Having workd there for a few years, i just can't bring myself to buy Samsung.....

I wouldn't pay more than £150 for a TV,Only watch it for about 3hrs in the week.

I think some of these new TV's could damage peoples eyesight over a period of time,the colours are just not natural There is a house in our street glowing of a night as they have a monstrous TV on the wall that is just Far far too big for the house.

Edited by Davyo

Isn't there limited films and programs being produced in 4K , I'm sure I read something about the technology on the TVs being far advanced of the production on film sets

To the contrary. Plenty of 4K stuff online, so if you watch Netflix, YouTube etc, then you'll greatly benefit from a 4k TV.

As for film sets, TVs these days have little chance of keeping pace with what's used on set. 5.2k is a common recording resolution and now the 8K cameras are really setting the standards. As for bitrate, there's just no physical way a digital tv would have the capabilities/bandwidth to play OTA what these cinema cameras record at. If we rolled back to the days of analogue and CRT screens, that was raw footage and way beyond what bandwidth we get given via digital.