Toyota Hilux and VAT.

Penelope

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find plenty of dealers with trucks that have no vat.i looked at a 65 plate invincible yesterday at listers in boston.

Exactly. If the VAT has already been paid on it, they can't keep charging it every time it's sold. Only if it was claimed back in the first place.

Edited by walshie

You will find plenty of dealers with trucks that have no vat.i looked at a 65 plate invincible yesterday at listers in boston.

Makes u wonder at some folk???

Bad enough changing a new car every year and losing 30+% value on the trade in but losing the vat too, must of been a very expensive swap.

But surprising how many very new pick ups u see with no vat.

The vat is a killer on new tools, vans, and esp diggers/dumpers

Exactly. If the VAT has already been paid on it, they can't keep charging it every time it's sold. Only if it was claimed back in the first place.

Seriously? I was of the opinion that if a vehicle was VAT qualifying and the seller was VAT registered the 20% must be applied even if the vehicle had been sold ten times over...

Edited by Red-dot

Seriously? I was of the opinion that if a vehicle was VAT qualifying and the seller was VAT registered the 20% must be applied even if the vehicle had been sold ten times over...

Yes, seriously. Read it properly now.

If the seller was VAT registered, he would have claimed it back when he bought the vehicle so has to charge it when he sells it on.

If the seller was not VAT registered and didn't claim it back, then how can he charge VAT when he sells it? You can't just charge VAT when you feel like it.

But as u just clicked if the vat has been paid its paid it does not need to be paid twice,

It really is that simple

My mate manages a branch and goes crazy for double pick ups with vat paid and will take as many as he can find, as it is a massive market nowadays the non commercial use.

The vat is wasted/dead money to most folk

I know that but most garages are VAT registered obviously.

That's irrelevant it's the last owner who either was vat registered or wasn't.

Some people take the hit on a new vehicle and with schemes like basc etc you get 20-25% off which is the vat.

Then road tax is far cheaper than the equivalent car classified 4x4 so they just run them.

But as u just clicked if the vat has been paid its paid it does not need to be paid twice,

It really is that simple

My mate manages a branch and goes crazy for double pick ups with vat paid and will take as many as he can find, as it is a massive market nowadays the non commercial use.

The vat is wasted/dead money to most folk

Not just the dealers, put my L200 up for sale last Friday with no VAT to pay and sold it first thing Sunday morning. If they're clean and tidy with no VAT there's a high demand everywhere for them especially in rural areas, all the dealers said the same when I was pricing its replacement up........which I've had to pay VAT, business isn't registered for it so basically dead money.

I guess a lot of the nearly new 2nd hand trucks (that were being queried early in the thread) with VAT unpaid will have been on a commercial leased from new.

Well done Walshie for sticking at it. Looks like you got through!

Edited by Granett

That's irrelevant it's the last owner who either was vat registered or wasn't.

Some people take the hit on a new vehicle and with schemes like basc etc you get 20-25% off which is the vat.

Then road tax is far cheaper than the equivalent car classified 4x4 so they just run them.

My new Toyota pro ace had 38%discount with Basc and I am not vat registered Edited by mowdy

• 3 weeks later...

VAt is only chargeable on used Light Commercial vehicles...

To take advantage of the HMRC tax rules for double-cab pick-ups, you need to choose a pick-up with a payload of at least one tonne. Thats the benchmark figure the HMRC has decreed any double-cab must meet in order to be classified as a Light Commercial Vehicle.

If you pick a pickup with a removable hardtop cover, make sure the weight of the top doesnt take your chosen trucks cargo capacity beneath the magic 1,000kgs, or the vehicle will be taxed as a regular company car. Two seat pick-ups, and other trucks and vans are classified as LCVs automatically, as theyre not thought to offer the same non-business benefits to their drivers.

There can be NO VAT charged on a used company car.

VAT is not only on light commercials it's on cars and certain people can claim vat back on car purchase, the vehicle would then be sold second hand as vat qualifying

VAT is not only on light commercials it's on cars and certain people can claim vat back on car purchase, the vehicle would then be sold second hand as vat qualifying

I have been to many auctions where ex comany/fleet cars are being sold.never have I seen any with vat added.commercial vehicles of all shapes and sizes vat added unless entered by a private non vat registered owner.

Edited by bostonmick