Gout !!!!!!!

tonker

Well cheesed of I am, 3 1/2 weeks ago I was hit by a gastric bug. which without going into to much detail basically shut my stomach down and turned me into a pipe. six days later and a stone lighter the doctor managed to get me to keep liquid in and thankfully a little later I got to eat again.

The trouble then started. As I was so dehydrated I had a build up of uric acid which as I understand it turns to crystals in you joint. So the first foot swelled up with Gout, that got infected and I ended up on steroids to clear that up, Infection was better but Gout wasn't. Now I don't know how many of you have had gout but bloody hell I've never known pain like it (my first attack) I've broken many bones, lost all my ligaments in my knee in one football tackle, and have a knackered back which they want to fuse together, the pain from all this pales into insignificance compared to gout in my mind.

Couldn't bear to have a sheet resting on my foot in bed, and no way could I put my foot to the floor. Well ****** me a couple of days and the other foot came up as well. so there I am, now can't walk at all gout in both feet and drinking lots of water to try to replenish what I'd lost. Mrs wasn't at all helpful when I was shouting in pain as I tried to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night on all fours ( must have been a sight lol)

I can't think of any reason why I shared this with you, only to let you know how bloody painful gout is. I would't wish it on my worst enemy.

I reckon it will be six weeks from start to being able to get out with the rifle again, now that is serious. Hope some see the funny side and have a laugh at my expense. If any of you get gout you have my full sympathy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, your not alone tonker my son has just had a bout of gout and he could not walk for a few day as very painfull, doctor gave him medicine to sort out the uric acid so he is on a strict diet and no beer, i note you were hit with a gastec bug and as happens he was very unwell before it happened so i think there is a link. well hope you will up and about very soon :good:

"Couldn't bear to have a sheet resting on my foot in bed,"

I was the same as this and now on allopurinol, which is keeping it at bay. Hope you get it under control it's horrible.

This ^^^

After 2 attacks many years ago, my doctor put me on this, never had an attack since :good:

:shaun:

Had gout around five times now! It's been a good while since the last time, and I hope to get by without it again. Unfortunately for me, I had to continue working (warehouse and FLT driving) just getting my boots on in the morning was hell. Every time I had to brake, every step, driving the fork lift etc was torture. Since cutting sugar out of my diet pretty much completely I have never had it again!

Read in paper yesterday a diet bit about cherrys said they reduce gout attacks, page 34 of the daily mirror.

Says they contain anthocyanin's, which helps reduce the swelling in the joint.

Also melatonin which helps sleep there low in sugar rich in fibre.

My mate gets bouts of it, never sounded good been laid up a few times

Had gout around five times now! It's been a good while since the last time, and I hope to get by without it again. Unfortunately for me, I had to continue working (warehouse and FLT driving) just getting my boots on in the morning was hell. Every time I had to brake, every step, driving the fork lift etc was torture. Since cutting sugar out of my diet pretty much completely I have never had it again!

I think people cutting down on processed and artificial type foods improves your health drastically in many ways.

Not being over weight also has huge benefits.

I keep trying but I'm not very good at it lol

I was on the biggest dose of allopurinol 30mgs a day for a few years and i started getting regular bouts of sickness and diarrhea they sent me for test had a camera up each end nothing found but i was on the toilet for two days and felt rough for a few days to recover then one day in my repeat prescriptions there was no allopurinol the doctor says being on it long term can cause bad sickness and diarrhea

Gout is one of those strange conditions that often brings no sympathy, yet it can be brutally awful.

As it is traditionaly associated with having a rich diet and was the afliction of the weathy in times of old people seem to believe it is all self inflicted.

Gout is one of those strange conditions that often brings no sympathy, yet it can be brutally awful.

As it is traditionaly associated with having a rich diet and was the afliction of the weathy in times of old people seem to believe it is all self inflicted.

Too right, it's one of those oh so funny conditions, like piles.

I've had a gout flare-up twice, once in my right foot (the joint at the base of my big toe) and once on the left. I found Diclofenac worked very well.

Having poked about online at the time, as you do, it seems that gout is one of those conditions where both the causes and also the treatments are very subjective and varied, so what seems to set one person off won't in another, and also what eases it varies hugely between individuals.

Experimentation is key.

my sympathy goes to you mate I have had the gout quite a few times in my foot and I have never felt pain like it and would quite happily chop my foot off .....and completely agree that even the finest of bed sheets feels like a ton weight and multiplies the pain ten fold ............

I do really hope it clears up fast for you

ATB hodge

I was on the biggest dose of allopurinol 30mgs a day for a few years and i started getting regular bouts of sickness and diarrhea they sent me for test had a camera up each end nothing found but i was on the toilet for two days and felt rough for a few days to recover then one day in my repeat prescriptions there was no allopurinol the doctor says being on it long term can cause bad sickness and diarrhea

Must be an individual thing,

I have been on it since 92 and never had a reaction but to be honest I would rather have the sickness and other stuff than gout

:shaun:

Thanks for all the well wishes and tips guys. I will have to give cherries a try ( I like cherries) I've caught up with all my reloading, there's only so much you can do without having to many :unhappy: . I'm just finishing a course of Colchicine, you are only allowed 12 apparently, they may have helped a bit but not a lot.

Since I've been waddling like a duck I've managed to pull my calf muscle, which my Mrs laughs at every time I get up to go anywhere, I think her sympathy has evaporated now. She keeps telling me to man up and it's nothing compared to childbirth.

I keep telling her that in Africa they go to the side of the field, have there baby, wrap it up and tie it around their body before returning to work, no gas and air nothing.

Should learn to keep my mouth shut coz now I got to get up and get my own food which goes against the grain. :lol:

Perhaps I'll give Ibuprofen a go in a day or so

Edited by tonker

ive had gout for years,and the remedy is a maintainence dose of allopurinol,works a treat for me,havent had a flare up in years,imagine my problem amputated left leg an gout in right foot ?

Which leg gave you the most problems when you had a flare up of gout?

Poor old tonker,

Had attacks of gout for may years what a b****** ,caused lumps on my feet and toes which i had cut open and there was a creamy puss inside,

3 toes and my trigger finger.Doc gave me some Colchicine tablets said take one a day,did do for a few months no more attacks so far touch wood.

So all the best hope it clears up soon,might be worth having a chat to your Doc.

ATB Oldgun