End Of A Era

Feltwad

The Barnard Castle gun shop will be closing down in May if no one opens up another gun shop this will mark the end of a era . My records show that here have been gun makers and gun smiths working in Barnard Castle since the 1750,s and maybe before that. In the 1840 -60 Barnard Castle was the biggest industrial town in Co Durham and at that period there were four gun makers working whose clientele were mostly the big estates of the area .

Feltwad

I assume you mean F E Wilkinson's? As that is only gun/country shop I know of in Barnard Castle. That will be a shame as I have fond memories of my father buying me .410 cartridges from there after dropping fat lambs off at market when I was a lad. Might have a look up over weekend, can always buy a few boxes shells and wish him well if nothing else takes my fancy.

I assume you mean F E Wilkinson's? As that is only gun/country shop I know of in Barnard Castle. That will be a shame as I have fond memories of my father buying me .410 cartridges from there after dropping fat lambs off at market when I was a lad. Might have a look up over weekend, can always buy a few boxes shells and wish him well if nothing else takes my fancy.

Your reply is correct although this business has traded under three different people it still kept the original name of F.E.Wilkinson, I called in every Wednesday which was the market day for a chat with different people

Feltwad

Sad news

Was always a port of call on trips to the area as a youngster.

Called in last year on passing.

Fingers crossed it's not closed for long before someone takes over the reins.

The Edinburgh gun shop is now BARBOUR Ltd....waxed jacket emporium for tourists & inner city fashionistas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If members are interested the contents of the Barnard Castle Gun Shop will be auctioned on July 8th at 12 noon at Addison Auction Rooms Barnard Castle viewing Friday the 7th 2pm to 8pm and morning of the sale Catalogue will be available www saleroom .com

Feltwad