bad grouping.

snipers eye

Trying two or three more quality pellets would be the first thing to do, eliminate human error too if possible by getting someone who is known to be able to shoot recoiling guns well. Last week I had to help zero a friends air gun (can't recall make but not Benz territory) which he had bought to deter certain pests from his garden ! I ended up having to pack the back mount for a start and the groups with two quality pellets were still awful at 15 yards which I simply put down to the poor quality of the gun.

Edited by Hamster

Might be an obvious one but is the scope set up right? If its not sitting true up down left right then this could be part off the problem, also can your mate shoot? If he is shooting free hand he could well be wobbling all over especially if like ditchman says its got a heavy trigger pull as well.

Probably best to practice off a bench for a while at 15-20 yards and the technique will come.

Can your mate shoot Artillery hold or does he waft about like a reed on a windy pond?

Bench bag it, forehand resting on bag and supporting the rifle, not gripping it.

Air rifles are notoriously pellet fussy, that's why most airgun shooters end up with a library of pellets.

try a mixed test/sample pack of different from evilbay.

Scope needs to be secure

Hold needs to be consistent

Crown of barrel needs to be checked.

if brand new, gun may take 500 pellets to settle in (stop dieseling etc), put 500 cheap pellets through it and then test with mixed pack, working through the above.

bench it for a 35 yard zero as descibed above

Bad airgun grouping, if not due to snapping the trigger can also be caused by bad follow through.

Takes a bit of time (compared to a bullet) to clear the barrel, so you need to hold the gun on target after the shot for a bit.

Um, I was always told by a very competent smith that cleaning barrell too often (if at all) was detrimental to good grouping !!!

It might be better to say that cleaning a barrel thoroughly on a new gun removes protective grease, after that, a light clean when groups open up is the norm. For some guns that may be 500 pellets, for others 5,000.

It might be better to say that cleaning a barrel thoroughly on a new gun removes protective grease, after that, a light clean when groups open up is the norm. For some guns that may be 500 pellets, for others 5,000.

Yep, that.

I must have put ten thousand through the aa400 and have never cleaned the barrell, groups are still tight as you like.