True Potato Seed

lord_seagrave

Back in 2012 I harvested potato seeds from two varieties (Estima and Maris Piper) I wasn't careful about the flowers, and so there's no telling if they self pollinated or crossed, but I thought I'd have a go at growing them out this year.

No idea if they are viable or how it will work, but I'll update you as I go.

LS

They are called potato apples .you will never grow any potatoes from them .all you will do is grow one potato which then you have to plant to get more .it is better just to buy seed potatoes (you are wasting your time ) it will take years if they grow .you can buy a bag of potatoes from the shop and plant them they will grow

some of the nicest tats i have ever tasted were called pink fir apple.....wierd looking things they were...what i imajine origtinal tats would look like..............they were similar to pots i used to buy off the market in southern sudan......maybe they were like that as they were always replanting the crop and maybe it was reverting to type... :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, by way of an update, my TPS was sown (in an old takeaway tray) on 30th April with about half an inch between each seed.

image_2.jpeg

...and, following Mungler's chilli seed advice, I wrapped the whole lot in cling film

image_3.jpeg

Now, less than a fortnight later, 7 have germinated and, of those 7, two are romping away with leaves and everything.

image_4.jpeg

One of the tips from the blogs I've read is the importance of sunlight, so they are out on the windowsill and lapping up some rays as I write!

Hopefully the pigeons (although more likely green parakeets) will leave them alone...

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update to let you know that viability is good with these seeds, and I've now got a dozen seedlings, of which four or five are noticeably strong.

A1C725B4-A0B4-4466-A529-BD4E7912CE96.jpg

E930E007-14CF-4BC8-B882-64CEBDA66526.jpg

As you can see, these have got some real leaves starting to appear, and are definitely looking like miniature potato plants.

LS

• 4 weeks later...