True Potato Seed

lord_seagrave

Hullo all, I had a minor repotting fumble a couple of weeks back, and managed to drop the tray from a modest height, obliterating most of the seedlings. However nature is finding a way and whilst I can't tell you which parent plant it came from, there is one particular seedling that shook itself off and is thriving.

Picture to follow in Tuesday when I'm back.

LS

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is a test using imgbb and should show the progress so far.

There is a bit of yellowing to the leaves, which might be down to the shock of resettling. I've fed and watered it with a bit of BabyBio to see if that helps.

The smaller of the two plants is, I'm afraid, not long for this world. I'll do my best, but don't get too attached, folks.

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave

• 8 months later...

Hi chaps, 

Right, inspired by the chilli-growing thread, I thought I’d resurrect this one.

Last year was a bit of a disaster, what with the seed-tray-dropping calamity, and various other issues :lol:

So, I’ve decided to have another go. Bearing in mind that the seeds are yet another year old, I chucked a load in the propagator last week to see what would happen.

Viability on the Maris Piper cross is very good - I now have a charming line of seedlings that are appreciating the sunshine. The Estima cross hasn’t got going yet, but there is the barest hint of something below the surface of the compost, so I shall be patient.

LS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So, after keeping them more-or-less healthy indoors for much of the year, they all went out in June. Unfortunately, most got trampled/eaten during the ensuing months, and only one survived (which I believe is a Maris Piper x ???).

EF3_FDFA8_AAEF_4_CFA_A2_A2_9047021_C330_

Anyway, the point is that I am now the disproportionate proud parent of four little baby potatoes!

739_A091_A_A118_4_AF2_8_D02_23453_AAAD43

The real challenge now is to preserve the potatoes until February. From those four little spuds, who knows what amazing new variety I might have discovered!

LS

13 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

So, after keeping them more-or-less healthy indoors for much of the year, they all went out in June. Unfortunately, most got trampled/eaten during the ensuing months, and only one survived (which I believe is a Maris Piper x ???).

EF3_FDFA8_AAEF_4_CFA_A2_A2_9047021_C330_

Anyway, the point is that I am now the disproportionate proud parent of four little baby potatoes!

739_A091_A_A118_4_AF2_8_D02_23453_AAAD43

The real challenge now is to preserve the potatoes until February. From those four little spuds,

LS

who knows what amazing new variety I might have discovered!

Fair play to you, a lot of effort for what seems at the present to be a very small reward. How ever, for example, all the Granny Smith`s apples in the world have all come from one trees cutting and propagation, so who knows, you may be feeding the world in a few years time.

FB