lord_seagrave

True Potato Seed

Back in 2012 I harvested potato seeds from two varieties (Estima and Maris Piper) I wasn't careful about the flowers, and so there's no telling if they self pollinated or crossed, but I thought I'd have a go at growing them out this year.

No idea if they are viable or how it will work, but I'll update you as I go.

LS

Bear in mind that every seed will be different .... the tubers from each seed will be identical to the mother seed, but tubers from seperate seeds will have different characteristics ......

One of my colleagues was telling me of a lecturer when he was a college, he idea what to grow potato from seed like that, that would be about 30 years ago!

They are called potato apples .you will never grow any potatoes from them .all you will do is grow one potato which then you have to plant to get more .it is better just to buy seed potatoes (you are wasting your time ) it will take years if they grow .you can buy a bag of potatoes from the shop and plant them they will grow

some of the nicest tats i have ever tasted were called pink fir apple.....wierd looking things they were...what i imajine origtinal tats would look like..............they were similar to pots i used to buy off the market in southern sudan......maybe they were like that as they were always replanting the crop and maybe it was reverting to type... :hmm:

Well, by way of an update, my TPS was sown (in an old takeaway tray) on 30th April with about half an inch between each seed.

image_2.jpeg

...and, following Mungler's chilli seed advice, I wrapped the whole lot in cling film

image_3.jpeg

Now, less than a fortnight later, 7 have germinated and, of those 7, two are romping away with leaves and everything.

image_4.jpeg

One of the tips from the blogs I've read is the importance of sunlight, so they are out on the windowsill and lapping up some rays as I write!

Hopefully the pigeons (although more likely green parakeets) will leave them alone...

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave

Do you peel the pink fir apple potatoes.or just wash and cut to suit

Just wash and cut ... got a couple of rows myself this year.

LS ... good luck with the project !!

We all know you can grow potatoes from planting a potato, but I think your attempting to grow a NEW strain from your seed is commendable.

If only one tuber results, then you can plant that and hopefully get more. Best of luck and keep us up dated.

Thanks chaps. I've no idea why I was blessed with so many berries on my potatoes that year (I chucked a load away), and I don't especially recall where the seed potatoes came from in the first place.

I'll keep browsing and tending these and see how I get on.

LS

Brief update to let you know that viability is good with these seeds, and I've now got a dozen seedlings, of which four or five are noticeably strong.

A1C725B4-A0B4-4466-A529-BD4E7912CE96.jpg

E930E007-14CF-4BC8-B882-64CEBDA66526.jpg

As you can see, these have got some real leaves starting to appear, and are definitely looking like miniature potato plants.

LS