Gp's letters again

SpringDon

Nonsense.

The way I understand it is that if gp does not respond within 21 days then feo assumes no problems with applicant otherwise the gp would have told him and he grants licence.

thats the way i heard it....'cept my FEO said it was 24hrs................................thats why i sent my application in on a thursday ...and received my new certificate the next wednesday...............this surprised me so i phoned norfolk firearms...and said the doc was wanting money to release medical assesment.....and here infront of me is my new certificate !!

she said "rubbish"...."we ask the GP to flag your file as to certain conditions"....."if we dont hear from them in a couple of days ....we know that you are clear and issue the certificate"

The GP's know full well this.........and are praying on the unimformed so they can get extra cash in.....in my book that is theft....but their argument is they are only being told what to do.....................there is a little grey area between the police and the GP's and it needs to be closed...

Edited by ditchman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep just about sums it up. My feo was quite insistent to tell him if my gp contacted me for money.

the confusion lays with the GP.......if you ask the GP to issue you with a medical report for your pilots licence...or...insurance company when you are skiing or whatever....then as it is a non-govt' org....then yes you should pay.....but the way i see it ....it is an "instruction" from a govt body to another govt body...some thing that is inshrined in law.......

but the GP's are aware of this but "accedently on purpose"....fail to mention this fact to a shotgun/firearm appl' renewal patient....as "we" get lumped in with all the other applications which are non-govt' related.............

the confusion lays with the GP.......if you ask the GP to issue you with a medical report for your pilots licence...or...insurance company when you are skiing or whatever....then as it is a non-govt' org....then yes you should pay.....but the way i see it ....it is an "instruction" from a govt body to another govt body...some thing that is inshrined in law.......

but the GP's are aware of this but "accedently on purpose"....fail to mention this fact to a shotgun/firearm appl' renewal patient....as "we" get lumped in with all the other applications which are non-govt' related.............

The problem is that they arent a government body. Your local health board is, they contract out to your gp. The firearms work is not in the contract and thus not paid.

Other good examples of chargeable work which you might also think are one government body instructing another are fostering or adoption related medicals, driving licence medicals, medicolegal work where the police want reports or any professional opinion (witness statements are slightly different on paper, in practice not really different), cremation forms, school letters.

As any other buisness some will do some work for free or as a good will guesture, others will run a tighter ship. If you dont like it you can vote with your feet and take your registration elsewhere. Depending on how profitable you are on the work that is actually paid you may find they are keen to keep you, or alternatively very glad to see you go.

had a letter from the doctors today,they say i have to pay £20 befor they can send a letter to the firearms team.so i phoned avon and somerset up dinner time and told them. he said dont pay if we dont hear back with in 3 weeks,all would be ok,

There you go then. Like I said tell gp to sod off as it makes no difference to your application if they don't send the form but it will matter to the gp if he fails to disclose something in your records.

well there is nothing in my records to stop me getting a renewal.

Doctors are milking it and seeing it as another opportunity to cash in.The parcitic cash converter at my surgery would sign it even if you were a syco nut job if the price was right.

You can get a forever sick note off him for £100,if you can catch him when he's not drunk.

Edited by Davyo

well there is nothing in my records to stop me getting a renewal.

My point is that the gp thinks he has us over a barrel but the feo defaults to good to go if gp ignores it. If there was anything he should have disclosed but chose not to he would be in deep doo dah so he isn't doing himself any favours by trying to be a smart Alec

Doctors are milking it and seeing it as another opportunity to cash in.The parcitic cash converter at my surgery would sign it even if you were a syco nut job if the price was right.

You can get a forever sick note off him for £100,if you can catch him when he's not drunk.

If that's true, why not report him?

My renewal couple of month ago, including a house move and a change of doctors surgery, straight forward with no messing.

My dads renewal a month later, letter from GP demanding £75, said something like failure to pay will result in me notifying the police that I am unable to complete the form and cannot comment on your suitability to own a shotgun.

Just to confirm that this was the standard renewal form they are sent, not a medical report.

GP rang the very next day to enquiry if my father was going to pay and if not would immediately contact the police force refusing to complete the form.

He rang issuing police force and was told that they cannot not recommend or recommend that he pays but if they are not told specifically that he is unfit by the doctors that they will issue the renewal as per usual.

Suffice to say the GP is question was told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't be getting paid.

Edited by a303

I heard on the news recently that the organisation representing GP's was lobbying for GP's to undertake private paid work from patients in their surgery in their "spare time" as well as working on their NHS contract!.........any guesses as to which will get priority? Probably all done in NHS time too?

Another step towards privatising the NHS?

Apologies for straying off topic....but this appears to demonstrates that GP's are always looking to maximise their income......so them demanding payment for a report re: a persons suitability to hold a gun licence are not surprising and just another example pointing out GP's self serving greed!

Edited by panoma1

My shotgun licence renewal is currently being processed by the local Constabulary. Lo and behold a couple of days ago I received a letter from my GP [well it was actually PP'd so probably some invisible background practice person] requesting payment of £30.00 [£25 +VAT] within the next seven days in order for him to deal with the initial report.

I had a lengthy chat with my local firearms bod yesterday and he said the whole GP issue is a mess but was non commital when it came to advising whether to cough up the fee or not. I asked him directly what would occur if they had not heard from my GP within the 21 day period they have to respond and he said it is almost certain you will get your renewal through regardless.

:/

I dont buy into the whole "those that don't turn up to appointments" thing. Truth is - if you dont self check in or check in via the receptionist your booked time slot just gets erased and the doctor isnt expecting you. To anyone whos made that comment - tell me the last time you went to the doctors and was called in early because someone had failed to show for thier appointment?

I dont buy into the whole "those that don't turn up to appointments" thing. Truth is - if you dont self check in or check in via the receptionist your booked time slot just gets erased and the doctor isnt expecting you. To anyone whos made that comment - tell me the last time you went to the doctors and was called in early because someone had failed to show for thier appointment?

Are you on the right thread?