**** law

Hendrix's rifle

Not wishing to upset you but . . .

I was at work on Friday afternoon at the B&Q depot in Doncaster and who should stroll past around 50 yards away but Charlie himself, bold as brass and cool as a cucumber, not at all bothered by the trucks, vans and people that were all over the place.

:lol: Charlie is a no show so home time. Got told he rocks up at about 10 half 10 ish. There's one that winds my dogs up it runs past the back fence and sits in the street about 10 yards from my front door :lol:

Odd condition, do you not have AOLQ?

.223 bit overkill for bunnies anyway, if that makes you feel any better

Unfortunately I don't have AOLQ however when my ticket goes back they are going to change it so the fella said. Yes it is a bit overkill but dead is dead. Would be nice to go foxing and shoot a rabbit or crow whilst out if I'm honest rather than carrying 2 rifles

Thing is if ur out for a fox ur out for a fox, if u start shooting rabbits/crows with a cf the chances of a fox coming in are slimer.

Even when we went lamping as a keeper u always had both rifles 22lr and 22cf but if foxing the 22 only came out at very end of night on ground we had already lamped, but if having a night on rabbits the 22cf was always there just in case u seen a fox

I've had an odd week for spotting wild life. There was the fox on Friday and then today leaving a different depot at around 11am I spotted a deer just across the road, behind a fence on some scrubland. Although wary it was clearly not particulary bothered by the traffic.

Saw 2 red does yesterday that looked quite scraggy standing on a bridleway whilst walking my dogs, seen a few badgers and obviously the elusive fox :lol:

Sounds like he is stalking you Hendrix!!!

Wouldn't be surprised :lol:

Thing is if ur out for a fox ur out for a fox, if u start shooting rabbits/crows with a cf the chances of a fox coming in are slimer.

Even when we went lamping as a keeper u always had both rifles 22lr and 22cf but if foxing the 22 only came out at very end of night on ground we had already lamped, but if having a night on rabbits the 22cf was always there just in case u seen a fox

Yeh I understand that part of it but if no fox shows up atleast I could bag some bunnys. Some of the rabbit's from last year got that used to the IR torch that they would run as soon as it was on them believe it or Not, might as well used a white light. When they start getting over 200 yards they just sat there but I wouldn't trust the hmr to do a good job on a windy night with winds blowing to about 20mph or so. Like I said if I was shooting in daylight it wouldn't be nice to sit at the top of a valley I shoot and pop crows or rabbit's off at 300-400 yards. Then take a Charlie if he appears. One piece of land I shoot has a load of trees in the middle of a field and unless sat on the next field up you can't get close enough to shoot anything. The way it is the banking rises above the trees quite steeply so would be nice to sit on the top of it. Best up to now was 3 shots in 1 hole at 250 with my home loads and have shot to 400 accurately on paper to try loads. Might talk to my geo Tuesday and get a 308 in at the same time for some reds :D

Am I missing something here .....who would know you shot the bunnies ?

No one would. If your going down that route I could shoot reds with it aswell... in fairness, I'd rather abide by the law and what it says on my ticket for peace of mind. Sometimes there's the odd person and if they were to phone the police and I have a bag of bunnys with my 223 in hand they will get a rough idea of what's gone on. I said to the firearms dep what if I want to shoot a rabbit as bait and they said you will have to take both rifles. Last time I spoke to them though I said I'm trusted for an fac so why can't I make my mind up to what I legally shoot. Long story short when I put in for a 308 or what I decide to put in for they will look in to it and put AOLQ on for me.

All other legal quarry, from reading lots of other posts, night shift benefit seems different police forces play by different rules.

You would think it's common sense tho yes you can shoot that fox but not a rabbit??

• 4 months later...

So what would be the practical reason that you shouldn't shoot a bunny with a fox rifle? Apart from maybe making a bit of a rabbit ragu I can't see why the law would have an issue with this?

It is not the law but their wrong interpretation of it IMO.

I am in exactly the same position with my .222 conditioned for fox only and no AOLQ. I am awaiting a response to an email to my FEO.(short staffed currently)

Reasons given to date do not align with Home Office guide lines which they say they use.They would appear to use one guideline in isolation to all other guidlines even though if read in total they are out of order in not issuing AOLQ.

On the point you raise they say it is overpowered and would not sanction it, this is true and Guidelines state this but it also says that AOLQ should be issued if 'good reason' has already been accepted, ie 'Fox' and that lesser quarry should be allowed and not restricted.

Edited by Good shot?