**** law

Hendrix's rifle

So what would be the practical reason that you shouldn't shoot a bunny with a fox rifle? Apart from maybe making a bit of a rabbit ragu I can't see why the law would have an issue with this?

Perhaps some regions simply want people to get a bit of experience before AOLQ.

Who knows, but apparently AOLQ eventually came into being because game keepers out after the deer could not shoot the foxes they saw because of their rifle conditions. On the basis many had birds to protect from the fox as well, it was a bit silly, especially if you happened to be in the middle of a huge country estate.

Anyway, I suffered many years ago as well, I could not get my bigger centrefires conditioned for fox, but then along came AOLQ and all that changed!

Durham quoted this years ago, under power is the problem, not over power, as stated dead is dead.

Apply for vermin/fox on your 223 if they won't sanction AOLQ, if they refuse that get in touch with Sacs/Basc/CA etc...

:hmm::hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

If that is the case why do so many people throughout the country experience more problem getting bigger centrefires compared to FAC Air or rimfire?

I rather think anyone would struggle to get a grant of a .308 for ratting at Durham!

I rather think anyone would struggle to get a grant of a .308 for ratting at Durham!

You need to read the first post of the OP again...IE; 223, where does a 308 come into it...+ ratting.. :rolleyes:

My post is of personal experience with Durham & SACS, I stated my case & got vermin/fox/deer on my 223, makes no odds now Durham have AOLQ.

Anyway, your hypothetical grant for a 308 would be conditioned for rats with AOLQ would it not...

The Licensing Officers have to abide by rules laid down by faceless wonders in the Home Office, who have probably never fired a gun of any kind. I had an argument with such a person a few moons ago, regarding the clearance of a piece of ground for a 30-06. Bear in mind at the time I was a serving police officer attached to the Tactical Firearms Unit and one of their 20 man sniper team. He blathered on about the potential of a 30-06 and that they could not just let Joe Public free to roam with a 50 calibre ...did I know just what a 50 calibre could do/.... no kidding that is how extreme and silly the conversation got ... eventually the Force involved passed the ground for up to .308 and their FLO was very embarrassed about my conversation with the Nerd at the Home Office. It is not always the fault of your local Licensing Office believe me.

You need to read the first post of the OP again...IE; 223, where does a 308 come into it...+ ratting.. :rolleyes:

My post is of personal experience with Durham & SACS, I stated my case & got vermin/fox/deer on my 223, makes no odds now Durham have AOLQ.

Anyway, your hypothetical grant for a 308 would be conditioned for rats with AOLQ would it not...

I think you have completely missed the point of my post.

My response was to your comment suggesting........

"Durham quoted this years ago, under power is the problem, not over power, as stated dead is dead."

Hence why I said............

If that is the case why do so many people throughout the country experience more problem getting bigger centrefires compared to FAC Air or rimfire?

Edited by Dekers

On the point you raise they say it is overpowered and would not sanction it,

Maybe should have been a bit clearer, my reply was to post 22, (On the point you raise they say it is overpowered and would not sanction it,).

Durham quoted the same to me applying for vermin condition to be added to my 223.

My reply to Durham was under power is the problem, not over power.

I wouldn't know, postcode lotto, different forces, different set of rules.

Maybe should have been a bit clearer, my reply was to post 22, (On the point you raise they say it is overpowered and would not sanction it,).

Durham quoted the same to me applying for vermin condition to be added to my 223.

My reply to Durham was under power is the problem, not over power.

I wouldn't know, postcode lotto, different forces, different set of rules.

:good:

Id guess at the reason being an air rifle and rim fires are not as powerful or have the range of the larger centre fires. But then as ive stated before on other similar threads, every force has a different view. I have my 243 for deer and alq, so I could turn a rat inside out with it. Will I? No as its an expensive and pretty pointless thing to do. But I legally can if I want to.

Id guess at the reason being an air rifle and rim fires are not as powerful or have the range of the larger centre fires. But then as ive stated before on other similar threads, every force has a different view. I have my 243 for deer and alq, so I could turn a rat inside out with it. Will I? No as its an expensive and pretty pointless thing to do. But I legally can if I want to.

EXACTLY. That was my point in relation to the comment I replied to, which seems to have gone over most peoples heads!

:good:

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2017 at 10:45, Good shot? said:

It is not the law but their wrong interpretation of it IMO.

I am in exactly the same position with my .222 conditioned for fox only and no AOLQ. I am awaiting a response to an email to my FEO.(short staffed currently)

Reasons given to date do not align with Home Office guide lines which they say they use.They would appear to use one guideline in isolation to all other guidelines even though if read in total they are out of order in not issuing AOLQ.

On the point you raise they say it is overpowered and would not sanction it, this is true and Guidelines state this but it also says that AOLQ should be issued if 'good reason' has already been accepted, ie 'Fox' and that lesser quarry should be allowed and not restricted.

AOLQ now been granted, on the basis that I have now gained sufficient experience having fired 65 rounds at 'paper' targets with it and shot 3 fox and passed up on 3 others due to safety concerns.

They say  that Home office guidelines are 'just that 'Guidelines' and that I needed to gain more experience with the larger calibre.

Another example of reasons why forces vary in their decisions and their inability to apply a consistent response to requests or 'rules'

Why have guidelines and not adhere to them nationally?

Edited by Good shot?
spelling error

12 hours ago, Good shot? said:

AOLQ now been granted, on the basis that I have now gained sufficient experience having fired 65 rounds at 'paper' targets with it and shot 3 fox and passed up on 3 others due to safety concerns.

They say  that Home office guidelines are 'just that 'Guidelines' and that I needed to gain more experience with the larger calibre.

Another example of reasons why forces vary in their decisions and their inability to apply a consistent response to requests or 'rules'

Why have guidelines and not adhere to them nationally?

I'm in the middle of something similar, whilst I have shot well over 400 rounds of 223 they won' t put AOLQ on my ticket and there iffing and arring about granting me a 308 due to 'experience' they said they follow the guide lines and what not when I asked for AOLQ howeer when I mentioned a section of guidance they said it's only guidance. Either way, il carry on taking both rifles with me. Gets bloody heavy though :lol: just waiting for my ticket to come back after a load of **** from them saying i might have to have a mentoring condition and my reply was to re read the letter that got sent in to them from paid stalks stating I am safe blahdy blah with a copy of my dsc1. They dont half make life difficult!