Most consistent.22lr ammo

Never had any bother with lapua standard plus and eley sports,they are solids,I target shoot with them and I can say I have never had any fliers due to the bullet but down to me,not with other brands like Winchester subs I have had loads of unexplained fliers and nearly sold my rifle because of it,still got the rifle as I'm back on lapua standard plus.

Edited by Albert 888

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No two rifle barrels will shoot one round the same. My CZ likes Wini subs and hates Eley subs. They tend to stop cycling or cycle inconsistently. It's a case of trial and error. As they are cheap enough, get a number of boxes and try them until you find one that suits your barrel.

I like CCI subs, they group well and I usually get 2 flyers out of 10

What exactly are you classing as a "flyer"? I've been shooting 22rimfire for more than 40 years both as smallbore target and sport shooting. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds in that time in the 3 22 rf rifles that I have and I have only ever had two misfires. When I am at the club there are many other shooters there with all sorts of different guns and different makes of ammunition. These competition cards require high levels of accuracy and consistency. The only really crud ammunition that I have ever had was Remington standard target and they just weren't consistant enough with some soft and others were a bit bangy. They would have been OK for hunting with but I just used up the thousand as barrel warmers. If you are getting 2 out of 10 then something is seriously wrong with the gun. 22 ammunition just isn't that unreliable.

What exactly are you classing as a "flyer"? I've been shooting 22rimfire for more than 40 years both as smallbore target and sport shooting. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds in that time in the 3 22 rf rifles that I have and I have only ever had two misfires. When I am at the club there are many other shooters there with all sorts of different guns and different makes of ammunition. These competition cards require high levels of accuracy and consistency. The only really crud ammunition that I have ever had was Remington standard target and they just weren't consistant enough with some soft and others were a bit bangy. They would have been OK for hunting with but I just used up the thousand as barrel warmers. If you are getting 2 out of 10 then something is seriously wrong with the gun. 22 ammunition just isn't that unreliable.

If you've been shooting for 40 years and you've shot 1million rounds, then you should know that a flyer is! It's not a Miss fire, a flyer to me is when a round that does not land within an inch target, it happens occasionally with 22lr rounds and for someone to say they have shot for 40 years and shot 1 million round and don't know what a flyer is, I smell BS! Or if someone lie about the consistency of the 22lr roundi smell BS!

Edited by Denboy

The reason I started this thread is because when I zeroed my rifle the last time and subsequently whilst plinking I've noticed with my particular gun/ammo combo, a Browning T bolt and Winchester subs

I was getting unexpected results namely a bullet landing way out 1"-1 1/2" from the rest of the group in a 3 shot group.

But the really annoying thing was whilst rabbit shooting off a bi pod and feeling pretty stable am getting the odd inexplicable miss.

I know everyone misses Im fantastic at it, but sometimes a shot feels like it shouldn't land an inch in front of a rabbits nose instead of at the base of his ears where I was aiming.

It doesn't happen all the time, I shot three 3 shot groups and had one step right out. That's probably about average

on Thursday evening whilst rabbit shooting I experienced one weird miss that felt like it shouldn't have out of probably 8 shots.

I ended up with 5 rabbits and felt I had fairly missed 2 by misjudging the range. No excuses me not the gun.

I hope that makes sense,

This is with some older blue packaged winnie subs I've still got 200 of the newer ones to go through maybe they will be different?

So come on then George put your money where your mouth is, where are the cheap 42gr Winchester's that I can buy in Essex.

Sxxt or bust matey.

ok sorry for late reply first i never mentioned essex the price to me for a batch of 5k was 450 is 90 per 1k inc vat which is about 76 to me as i would get the vat back anyway its richardsons garden centre cheers george

I decided to go for it.

I bought all the subs I could

As usual I should have expected the unexpected.

I will list the ammo tested in my gun in order of best accuracy and add what I paid for them.

CCI suppresser 45gr (copper plated) £6.60 a box,most accurate mostly clover leafing

Magtech 40gr (CHEAP!) £3.50 very, very close second, also massive cavity hollow point !

Winchester 40gr £5.25 ok 1" groups

RWS 40gr £6.40 slightly over 1" groups

ELEY 40gr (squib round) £6.00 **** groups

CCI segmented (2" groups) £7.75 badly **** groups

Winchester 42gr (2 1/2" group) shocking groups, .410 pattern better

This will be of no use to anyone else but I enjoyed myself!

Cheers Dave

Did you clean your barrel when you changed ammo make. That's when I clean mine or when I have nothing better to do. I tend to put a few barrel warmers down mine before I shoot a target card. What's your trigger like is it constantly they same. Ie pull weight,creep and drag.

Did you clean your barrel when you changed ammo make. That's when I clean mine or when I have nothing better to do. I tend to put a few barrel warmers down mine before I shoot a target card. What's your trigger like is it constantly they same. Ie pull weight,creep and drag.

No I didn't do anything with it except load different bullets in the mag.

The trigger is ok, it's quite heavy but breaks clean enough.

After reading up on the T bolt it seems they don't have a generally well liked trigger.

If I used match ammo and shot it off sand bags I've no doubt I could improve things but that's never going to happen when I'm rabbit shooting.

Cheers Dave