Losing weight

ElvisThePelvis

No don't mind you asking I'm 6' 1" and i started at 24 stone 7 lbs last tuesday when i weighted in i was 21st 81/2 lbs

I got a shock last week at the hospital they asked for a guess weigh to set the scan and i said 21 stones after she left the room i jumped on the scales which i thought where broken

For 6' 2" i hit 26 stone gave me a big wake up call

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started to loose weight last october i joined slimming world and now get most of my meals from iceland ( slimming world have a section on there site )

It surprised me how much i am allowed to eat big breakfasts the works as long as i don't have sausage and black pudding.

I am eating more speed food fruit and veg and im just 3.1/2 lbs short of 3 stone since i started in october..

Still got about 3 stone to get to the weight i want to be at...hopefully i will be there by xmas this year..

One thing I've noticed since my change ( in a diabetetic ) is my blood sugar has not been so low for months and I'm not having as much trouble with my back

but you have to be determined.. I still treat myself to things i maybe should not have but sod it I'm 70 and not going to give everything i like up.. :good:

Carry on treating yourself Mike! You did bloody well with your weight watchers!

is there a method of regulating hunger, without eating?, I often have breakfast and within an hour, I am starving again, sometimes I get so hungry, you get that horrible edgy feeling, and over eat to stop it. I wouldn't be prepared to take any medicines, just maybe an old wives cure.

What are you having for breakfast?

Foods high in protein, fat and fibre are proven to be more satiating than high carb sugary breakfasts.

Lots of veg (peppers, onions etc) in an omelette is a good option.

Also coffee is a appetite suppressant!

is there a method of regulating hunger, without eating?, I often have breakfast and within an hour, I am starving again, sometimes I get so hungry, you get that horrible edgy feeling, and over eat to stop it. I wouldn't be prepared to take any medicines, just maybe an old wives cure.

There are, sort of, but it's complicated, leptin sensitivity is what you need to research, leptin is the signal hormone for us to recognise we're full. There are lots of food that can help with hunger, but the long journey is training or reducing leptin sensitivity and getting insulin/blood glucose on a steady trend.

It's an issue if you already carry a lot of body fat, that's the paradox.

the feeling of eating sensibly, losing weight, feeling and looking better, is a better feeling than scoffing and being fat, so why do we often choose the latter?

Eating, especially things like chocolate, is a very pleasureable experience and much easier than being disciplined or exercising.

the feeling of eating sensibly, losing weight, feeling and looking better, is a better feeling than scoffing and being fat, so why do we often choose the latter?

It's a relatively new concept to have such easy access to such nutritionally poor food, that's why it's this generation thats suffering.

Reports of obesity related illness is staggering and show no sign of slowing.

Drink water, sometimes you think your hungry and it's your body wanting water.

Gallon a day if you can

Have a look at what your eating for breakfast?

Porridge you cant beat it but its not quick so ready brek any brand is quick in the microwave.

Then look at scrambled eggs or poached if your having something like crunchy nut then you are having loads if sugar you don't need.

Even fresh orange juice has a lot of sugar so we dilute juice in the morning.

If speed is key for breakfast think whole grains shreddies Weetabix shredded wheat.

I never miss breakfast ever

It's a relatively new concept to have such easy access to such nutritionally poor food, that's why it's this generation thats suffering.

Reports of obesity related illness is staggering and show no sign of slowing.

This is exactly what the video I posted is about, the guy giving the lecture has a team of something like 22 professors who have been working on this very subject, sugar and artificial sweeteners are the big corrupters for our diets, it really is worth taking the time to watch his lecture through, the findings of his study are influencing government guidelines.

This is exactly what the video I posted is about, the guy giving the lecture has a team of something like 22 professors who have been working on this very subject, sugar and artificial sweeteners are the big corrupters for our diets, it really is worth taking the time to watch his lecture through, the findings of his study are influencing government guidelines.

Just finished watching the lecture and it was very interesting.

I find routine and environment make a huge difference to hunger levels. Sit in the office gnawing hunger by 10 am. Out and about for the morning no hunger until I stop. Try break any routines you have built up. A break in a cycle/routine may be enough to help. For example if you came home sat down and had a beer. Come home walk round the block then have a beer, don't even go in the house first. You still get to have a beer but you've used a few calories getting there. Walk a little further each day. Or twice a week walk to the pub instead of drinking at home etc. Quick 5 minute walk at tea break.Make the tea, do a loop of the building then have your break. Every little helps.

Alternatively set a difficult goal e.g. half marathon in 6 months time. The OP said he lacks motivation then create some. Pay for a place straight away don't think about it too hard or you'll talk yourself out of it. Even if you never get to the goal and only do 50% of the training that's 50% more than you would have done. Getting a friend, colleague in a similar situation can often help as you can motivate each other. When one can't be bothered the other can help motivate. I can highly recommend couch to 5k plans in this regard, but make a log of times and distances. It is quite easy to become disheartened and lose sight of things. Look back at the log and you'll be amazed how much progress you've made.

Porridge you cant beat it but its not quick so ready brek any brand is quick in the microwave.

I never miss breakfast ever

I make our porridge in the microwave - 1/2 cup of jumbo oats, pint of skimmed milk, handful of raisins into a plastic high-sided mixing bowl (otherwise it boils over).

25 minutes in the microwave on 550w (simmer setting).

Meanwhile I make and take madam her cup of wake-up tea, shower and shave, put on a pot of coffee, by which time the porridge is nicely done and at edible temperature.

That staves off the hunger pangs until at least 1pm.

Don't polish off the kids meals. Do get a dog.

On the topic of porridge, my favourite breakfast is Scotts Porridge Oats with equal portions of milk and water, brought to the boil then sprinkled with blueberries or some other fruit, a generous sprinkling of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey. Lish!

Amateur

That's a hell of an amount of porridge, you will still bang weight on eating that.

It's actually 70g of oats and does the two of us, and yes, I've lost 1 stone over the year, Exercise and eating less

Edited by amateur

Amateur

That's a hell of an amount of porridge, you will still bang weight on eating that.

Whether you lose or gain weight is dependent on your caloric intake over an entire day (or even the week), not so much one meal.

Good eating habits tend to lead to a reduction in calories over the day / week and then you lose weight.

Hi I have just lost over 4 stone in six months. After weighing around 17.5 stone for the last 10 years I am now 13.2 stone and working towards 13 I have also started weightlifting to get muscle and definition back.unfortunately you need to be calorie excessive to build muscle so the weight loss has slowed right down.

Ok the trick to weight loss is as said less calories in, that your body needs for maintenance and you will lose weight even without exercise.

You do not need to starve as that will break you and it's not very efficient either.

Download myfitness pal and track everything you eat, it's easy once you get going !! Now use an online TDEE calculator to work out calorie maintenance for you per day.

Now with these 2 numbers you can eat only 300_500 less calories than your tdee and you WILL lose weight. It will need tweaking but it's a start.

Myfitness pall will also track nutrition macros so you can balance protein/carbs/fats you need all 3 and fats don't make you fat !!

Whole foods and clean diet , cut down processed and saturated fat and importantly refined sugar (check labels)

You can still eat what you want as long as you stay under your maintenance calorie amount tdee. But you will find if you eat healthier things you can eat a lot more and not starve...

Can talk for hours about this but I've tried to give the basics so you can make a start .