Starting off spaniel training (me first)...

I've always had terriers but in a month's time, we will be collecting our first working cocker.

My observations relating to dogs has been that there are very few bad dogs, but many bad owners. I don't want to be one of them.

I can start by saying that I haven't a clue as to how I should train a gun dog. I do have a work colleague who runs puppy training classes and obedience stuff. But as she's apparently a vegan, I'm not sure how long this relationship is going to last for!

The dog will mainly be used for rough shooting, plenty of opportunities for pigeon, crow and rabbits. And she will also be a family pet. Just for my wife and myself.

I've bought the books, and a great read they are too. But I think I need more and what I think I could do with, is some training myself on how to manage and train a new dog.

Can anyone tell me if my perceived need is realistic and if so, any suggestions as to whom I should contact please? Cost is not really an issue for the right training.

Thanks in advance. :)

GS

I'd be interested in the responses to this, I'm in a similar position, but a bit further down the line. We have a working cocker who is now 9 months old. He is a pet first, for my wife and myself but I hope eventually to take him beating, pigeon shooting and rough shooting. I also read a stack of books, watched a load of DVDS but have still made a lot of of mistakes along the way. He is coming on OK, but is a very long way off being ready to take shooting.

In hindsight, a pocket rocket Cocker possibly wasn't the best choice for my first dog at 53 years old! But I've bonded massively with him and have a lot of time (semi retired) to throw at it, so we'll make the best of it!

I was a bit over confident early on, as he seemed to get all the basics quickly, but at about 4 1/2 to 5 months developed selective deafness and a desire to do his own thing and hunt too far ahead. All my fault through not proofing his training properly. I also had a disastrous experience with a local gundog trainer which set me back massively. I have since found some better trainers first for basic obedience but now gundog training. I have enrolled for a 8 week course with Helen Philips near Evesham, towards the Gundog Club level 1/2 certificate. I am also doing a day with Andy Cullen booked via Big Bird on here.

Don't know about trainers near you, but the only advice I can offer as a novice is don't think you can do it yourself from books etc, unless you have a lot of experience. Find a good trainer you can work with and stick with them. Good luck, Cockers are brilliant fun but mental!

Edited by Blunderbuss

I was same, first dog (cocker) at age 51 (me not the dog) now just over two years down the line we have got through two seasons beating at a 30 bird syndicate and a 250 bird private shoot without any major disasters. I found that books and you tube clips confused me due to contradictions. Early on I received advice from a friend via email this was very useful to me as he was kind enough to answer what were probably some pretty stupid questions, he remains available to me (thank you PH) then I got some great advice from another forum and particularly from one gentleman (now a friend all be it via email) who was sympathetic to my quest of training without physical correction and on my own as I don't do group or any type of formal teaching. He too remains available for advice. Incidentally I am most grateful to both.

My point is a good working dog can be achieved but be careful of muddying the waters with too many contradictory "methods" my thoughts were / are, my bitch is first and foremost my friend and companion and I wanted her to do the things I required because she finds it fun and rewarding not do it under duress or pressure. She isn't perfect but she is usable and an assert on a shoot and never the worst dog there. She has bean beating, picking up, shot over and sat at peg.

So if I can do it anyone can 👍

Thanks ips very encouraging. My disaster was with a trainer who encouraged a lot of "corrections" neck scuffing, lead jerking etc. it nearly ruined my relationship with the dog but thankfully I trusted my gut instinct and baled out before too much damage was done. I now only use positive reinforcement. I use a clicker and edible treats - I know a lot of traditional dog trainers frown on that, but as you say there are a lot of contradictions in the dog training world. I was convinced of the arguments for it and even if it doesn't turn out to be any more effective, it's a hell of lot kinder. He's a pet and a companion first of all, and I don't want to ruin my relationship with him. If I can somehow train him as a gundog, that will be the icing on the cake.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Good for you, I have heard of a few people who unwittingly went to a trainer only to witness there dog get a scruffing and be encouraged to do the same.

I used Edible reward early on but now phased that out. I now use "capturing" and "shaping" and reward with a ball and I will reward a recall or a stop with being released to hunt. Behaviour that is offered is apparently more reliable than a behaviour which is forced. I am no expert obviously as I am exactly same as you I have never ever had a dog even as a child.

I think you need to just work out what is best for you and the dog, if you enjoy it he will enjoy it and vice versa.

I wrote a full online diary of my journey with its ups and downs.

Good luck in your journey my friend.

Ps

Never tried clicker but I like the concept and would probably try it on next dog 👍

I'd be interested in the responses to this, I'm in a similar position, but a bit further down the line. We have a working cocker who is now 9 months old. He is a pet first, for my wife and myself but I hope eventually to take him beating, pigeon shooting and rough shooting. I also read a stack of books, watched a load of DVDS but have still made a lot of of mistakes along the way. He is coming on OK, but is a very long way off being ready to take shooting.

In hindsight, a pocket rocket Cocker possibly wasn't the best choice for my first dog at 53 years old! But I've bonded massively with him and have a lot of time (semi retired) to throw at it, so we'll make the best of it!

I was a bit over confident early on, as he seemed to get all the basics quickly, but at about 4 1/2 to 5 months developed selective deafness and a desire to do his own thing and hunt too far ahead. All my fault through not proofing his training properly. I also had a disastrous experience with a local gundog trainer which set me back massively. I have since found some better trainers first for basic obedience but now gundog training. I have enrolled for a 8 week course with Helen Philips near Evesham, towards the Gundog Club level 1/2 certificate. I am also doing a day with Andy Cullen booked via Big Bird on here.

Don't know about trainers near you, but the only advice I can offer as a novice is don't think you can do it yourself from books etc, unless you have a lot of experience. Find a good trainer you can work with and stick with them. Good luck, Cockers are brilliant fun but mental!

My sister has two cockers she does agility with and very successfully as well, they need a hell of a lot of mental stimulation, very clever and capable dogs if handled correctly.

agility is very popular with cockers so maybe find a local agility group and get a few good pointers there? Just invested in a working line Gsd and brought a clicker which is something I have also never tried before and can't wait to pick her up next weekend. the breeder participates in a sport called "IPO" which is all about tracking, retrieving and other police and security dog stuff which might be another place to seek out for some friendly advice, good luck with your new dog

Hi, BB I'm in similar position with a young cocker pup, 4 months old how did you get on with Helen? I am looking for some classes to attend and only 10 minutes from Evesham. Thanks.

I've only done a single one on one session with her so far, but she is very good and seems promising for the 8 week course which starts on Thursday. She was recommended to me independently by 4 or 5 people. Wish I was only 10mminutes away, it's a 3 hour round trip for me! Good luck with yours

I've only done a single one on one session with her so far, but she is very good and seems promising for the 8 week course which starts on Thursday. She was recommended to me independently by 4 or 5 people. Wish I was only 10mminutes away, it's a 3 hour round trip for me! Good luck with yours

You wouldn't have a contact for her would you?

My advice is not to do too much too soon.

My only dog now is my first spaniel. In the first two years I spent hardly any time 'training' him, just sit and stay and recall, but not very much of it. Bonding to me was more important than training.

I now have a very steady dog when he needs to be and a very fast dog when that is needed.

ok if you want a biddable companion and not a plaything my advice is don't set your sites to high unless you intend to trail the dog don't give you self targets to reach by time limits don't complicate commands stay recall stop and turn .Do not overdo the retrieve or bore the pup with any command but you are its boss if you give it a command and you know it understands it insist it does it on the first time asking . TIP OF THE ICEBERG I know but you got to make a plan .