Xtrail engine management light/EGR valve

SimpleSimon

Hi all,

Last year my Xtrail's engine management light came on. Took it to a local garage who said it was the EGR valve. As the car was driving perfectly I ignored it for a few months until it started randomly going into "limp mode". I had a new EGR valve and shortly after realising that the problem wasn't fixed I also had a new boost pressure sensor.

Fast forward about 5000 miles and the light is back on. Took it to a different garage (moved house) and he plugged it in and told me... EGR system.

I told him it had a new EGR valve 5k ago and he said could be a blip or misreporting. He cancelled the fault code and for the rest of the day I drove around thinking it was fixed. Started it from cold the next morning and got the light back immediately.

Car still drives fine.

Any ideas?

Don't understand these things, but mine was the boost pressure sensor. Replaced and all has been well. Don't want to mislead you as, as said, haven't a clue, but has this sensor got something to do with the turbo?

Edit: Words muddled.

Edited by wymberley

How are you driving the car? Are you taking it steady? Do you do many miles in it? All could be contributions to an egr going down

Surely not within 5000 miles?

I mostly drive quite progressively, though I don't usually rev the nuts off it. I live in a rural/suburban area so it's a mixture of town driving and country roads, the odd fast A or B Road. Probably do the full spectrum of speeds and revs in each average journey...

Try to drive turbo diesels competitively - like being the first off at the lights if alongside another vehicle as an example. Work the engine quite hard but not thrashing the revs. Accelerate going up hills etc so the engine gets a good load workout sometimes.

A fault code reader is also going to pay for itself over a period of time if you are one to believe everything garage mechanics tell you, they cost about £20 from ebay.

Edited by Dave-G

Surely not within 5000 miles?

I mostly drive quite progressively, though I don't usually rev the nuts off it. I live in a rural/suburban area so it's a mixture of town driving and country roads, the odd fast A or B Road. Probably do the full spectrum of speeds and revs in each average journey...

You would be surprised, especially if it was a cheaper egr valve that got put on it. The best thing to do is load the engine. My that I mean put it in say 3rd or 4th and put your foot down. Get the turbo spooling and rev it up until the turbo is on full boost. Doing so gets everything a lot hotter and burns the **** out. Failing that it may be another fault. If the turbo is on its way and it burning oil that will block it up within a few thousand miles. Get it all hot and see what happens

You would be surprised, especially if it was a cheaper egr valve that got put on it. The best thing to do is load the engine. My that I mean put it in say 3rd or 4th and put your foot down. Get the turbo spooling and rev it up until the turbo is on full boost. Doing so gets everything a lot hotter and burns the **** out. Failing that it may be another fault. If the turbo is on its way and it burning oil that will block it up within a few thousand miles. Get it all hot and see what happens

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it one gear lower on the way home from work.

The EGR valve is very easy to get to on the Xtrail, is there anything I can tell by taking off for a look? I don't really know what's inside it.

I'm fortunate in that I have a mechanic I can trust, but I realise they often like to go for the easy fix which would presumably be another new EGR valve at about 250 quid.

He had an L200 on the forecourt when I was last there, maybe it's time for a p/x!

Edited by SimpleSimon

A fault code reader is also going to pay for itself over a period of time if you are one to believe everything garage mechanics tell you, they cost about £20 from ebay.

£3.89 for the one I bought, posted

Small Bluetooth device that talks to the Torque free download software on my Android phone.

Gives you the diagnostic code & a fair bit of other information

Then type that into Google along with your car make/model for FAQ areas to look at in order to rectify the fault.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it one gear lower on the way home from work.

The EGR valve is very easy to get to on the Xtrail, is there anything I can tell by taking off for a look? I don't really know what's inside it.

I'm fortunate in that I have a mechanic I can trust, but I realise they often like to go for the easy fix which would presumably be another new EGR valve at about 250 quid.

He had an L200 on the forecourt when I was last there, maybe it's time for a p/x!

By gum! That's a dramatic change of mind/heart since 7:30 this morning.

By gum! That's a dramatic change of mind/heart since 7:30 this morning.

Only joking. I do like my Xtrail, but I could be persuaded otherwise if it keeps breaking... If I wanted that I'd have got a landy!

Edited by SimpleSimon

Diesel engines run best on clean air and fuel and the guy who thought up the EGR valve must have read a different book from Mr Daimler. I cut gasgets out of a beer can and blanked my L200 EGR off. Runs like it should and passes any UK MOT. It will decoke in a few thousand miles.

£3.89 for the one I bought, posted

Small Bluetooth device that talks to the Torque free download software on my Android phone.

Gives you the diagnostic code & a fair bit of other information

Then type that into Google along with your car make/model for FAQ areas to look at in order to rectify the fault.

Something like this?

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201848904703

Diesel engines run best on clean air and fuel and the guy who thought up the EGR valve must have read a different book from Mr Daimler. I cut gasgets out of a beer can and blanked my L200 EGR off. Runs like it should and passes any UK MOT. It will decoke in a few thousand miles.

I bought an EGR blanking plate off eBay for my Altea,

My model of plate still has a small hole in so the management system doesn't know any different,

Car runs much better, picks up smoother and faster......

:shaun:

Nuts....robbed of 80p

Looks the same as mine!

I splashed out in the end and got one shipped from the UK rather than China.

Cost me a whole 90p extra!

Hopefully it'll arrive before the weekend, I'll take off and clean all the pipes and run some Redex through it on a good hot motorway run, then cancel the fault and see what happens...

My landy has never needed an EGR in all the years of have had it :lol::lol:

and if you want to up-rate the chip.....we include a saverloy and a battered sausage... :lol:

and if you want to uprate the engine managment system.....we get some other muppet to drive it...

Edited by ditchman

fitted a blanking plate on my 2003 2.2td when I got it 3 yrs ago and have never had any egr problems .

the plates are peanuts off the bay and take 5 mins to fit .

but the problem may be a dirty inlet manifold they get a horrible build up of black oily gunk inside them and as it has been said they like clean air to run nice . might be worth getting your guy to take inlet manifold off and give it a damn good clean inside and refit with an e.g.r blanking plate .

I would put money the manifold been yuck inside

All sorted?

Nope. I did take off the ERG inlet and it was full of ****, which I cleaned as best I could. Unfortunately I could only get to one end. I bought a fault code reader thing and cancelled the fault, and had a couple of days trouble free, then one day at random the light came back on... Have since cancelled it off a couple more times and had anything from a few days to a few minutes without it coming back.