Branchers

Pykie

May is traditionally the month in some areas to deduce the Rook population. This is where young Rooks that have left the nest and are hopping/flying from branch to branch are shot before they are fully fit to fly and can cause damage. A farmer of mine has just rang to say he thinks they are out and if we could have a go one evening this week. Anyone else seen them yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Not seen any branchers here as yet. Out of interest do any of you eat the young rooks?

They are supposed to make good eating but i have never been brave enough to try them.

Yes! have a Rook pie or two every year. just take the breasts as you would a pigeon. Quite a dark meat and a little more gamey. If I get a lot I sometimes slice them thin and flash fry them with chips.

Yes! have a Rook pie or two every year. just take the breasts as you would a pigeon. Quite a dark meat and a little more gamey. If I get a lot I sometimes slice them thin and flash fry them with chips.

Thanks for the reply tonker, very interesting. I have met a few people that eat young rook and they say it is as good as woodpigeon.