Prince Phillip Retires

Danger-Mouse

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a country show he made a bee line for my mate and shook his hand as he was stood there with his Lurchers so obviously stood out!

He said to my mate "I bet he would be good on the Roe!"

My mate said he thought it was a great laugh when he said "I'll bring him down your estate to try if you like!"

Love it

I was on the DoE award scheme and there was a sort of show thing covering different aspects of it. My group was about to set off on the Silver hike. He flew in by helicopter to view the show. He came over to us and had quite a chat to me about our route and things. He got me showing him on my OS map. The local rag was there taking pictures of me showing him on my map. we bought some copies of the pictures which I still have. He seemed genuinely interested in what we were doing and spent some time with us. The things that stuck in my mind was the shine of his shoes and the strong scent of his aftershave or perfume or something. No men that I knew wore aftershave or perfume. It just wasn't normal. Nice bloke.

My wife and I were stood in the crowd watching the lasses fettle up the horses into the carriages ready for the Lowther carriage driving comp., and my wife said, " I wonder if Prince Phillip is here." A Gentleman in a well worn tweed jacket and flat cap next to her, just said in a soft cultured voice, "Yes" with a big smile on his face. Guess who!!

Pity we don't have a few in Westminster of the same ilk. In fact if he wants something to do put him in charge of the Brexit discussions.

Edited by Walker570

I know someone who knows them personally. I used to hate the royals but now I'm older I realise a few more things.

My mate said they're both great people. He told me how she chats to him normally and not snobby. She loves the countryside and his cattle .

They bring a lot of wealth into the country and i think they're important to the uk.

I like Harry and would gladly go for a beer as he comes across as one of the lads . Seems a decent bloke that you could shoot with .

Edited by team tractor

He is a good bloke, and I know he is not the queen, but the issue I have is that upon the coronation, Britain was still great Britain, but during the reign of some 64 years, Britain has gone downhill, and yet not one word said about it, I know all this protocol nonsense says they are not allowed to poke their noses in, but they should have spoken out about the large swathes of their 'kingdom' which are now totally alien and foreign.

He is a good bloke, and I know he is not the queen, but the issue I have is that upon the coronation, Britain was still great Britain, but during the reign of some 64 years, Britain has gone downhill, and yet not one word said about it, I know all this protocol nonsense says they are not allowed to poke their noses in, but they should have spoken out about the large swathes of their 'kingdom' which are now totally alien and foreign.

What was so great about Britain at the time of the coronation as opposed to today?

What was so great about Britain at the time of the coronation as opposed to today?

it was still before the 60s, before the 'progressives' and liberals got hold of it and smashed it all up, although a war had just occurred, Britain was still great, but as I say, the rest is history, we went from a superpower to a country that cant even build a power station, yet its all dressed up as 'the way it is'.

it was still before the 60s, before the 'progressives' and liberals got hold of it and smashed it all up, although a war had just occurred, Britain was still great, but as I say, the rest is history, we went from a superpower to a country that cant even build a power station, yet its all dressed up as 'the way it is'.

What made Britain 'great' until the 1960's?

The empire, which had all but disappeared by then?

The huge amounts of poverty, disease and poor housing, which was addressed by the Beveridge report (Beveridge was a Liberal) and which was enacted by Attlee (Labour)?

The unprecedented pollution and smog which blighted our cities and industrial towns leading to thousands of premature deaths?

Of course there are problems with society and our institutions today, but compared to the 'good old days' we're a far better country now than we were in my parents and grandparents day.

its not how I see it, have you heard of fgm and many of the other progressive imports.

Of course, I'm well aware of FGM.

I'm also well aware of Male Genital Mutilation as practised by the Jewish faith, so are you claiming also that Jews are a 'progressive import'?

poontang, if you think this country as a whole is better than 60 years ago, then carry on, there are pockets of the country which are still good, but when businessman can own a portfolio of thousands of houses, whilst a young couple cant buy one, the country is going backwards, you guage things by each generation. Owning your own home is a good reason to live.

poontang, if you think this country as a whole is better than 60 years ago, then carry on, there are pockets of the country which are still good, but when businessman can own a portfolio of thousands of houses, whilst a young couple cant buy one, the country is going backwards, you guage things by each generation. Owning your own home is a good reason to live.

From the mid 50's home ownership rose steadily from around 25% to just under 70% at its height in 2001. It's around 64% today, the drop due in the main to stricter lending criteria. The rise in home ownership almost tripled under the 'progressive' governments you rail about.

How many businessmen own portfolios of thousands of homes? Not many I'll wager. My girlfriends daughter, 24, has just bought her first house with her boyfriend, they work hard and have saved hard and have just moved in. Nearly all their friends have moved, or are in the process of moving into their first homes. To say young couples can't afford a home is a sweeping generalisation and in many cases simply not true.