Ring ouzel

Doggone

I wouldn't call myself a twitcher, but I've had an interest in birds for 60 yrs. my uncles used to talk about ring ouzels when I was a kid but I'd never seen one until yesterday. A cock bird has taken up residence round my house, which is in the middle of wide open fenland. I've also identified a pair of dunnocks that I've not seen round here before. I was just wondering how common ring ouzels are in other parts of the country?

Andy

They're always a good find. They're a summer visitor to here and will be heading up to the more exposed upland areas to breed. Love a good rocky gully, they do, but are often seen on their migration routes on golf courses or open fields. They're never here in huge numbers, so it's great to see one

Its been a very good year for ring ouzel migration with lots of birds have been seen on the East Coast. Some flocks up to 15 reported. They are on their way to Scandinavia,and some to the North of England and Scotland. We have had a week or more of north east wnds and that had grounded them , but once that changes they will be off.

To be honest I didnt know what a Ring ouzel was so I put it into google and the bird was exactly like what I saw the other day and I couldnt identify it.

I was walking at the side of the river in Matlock Bath and saw this bird or something spitting image very low over the river and only seconds later another followed it.

When I looked where the Ring Ouzal lived its habitat it didnt match over water in Matlock bath.

Did I see one (two) or what else could it have been?

H

To be honest I didnt know what a Ring ouzel was so I put it into google and the bird was exactly like what I saw the other day and I couldnt identify it.

I was walking at the side of the river in Matlock Bath and saw this bird or something spitting image very low over the river and only seconds later another followed it.

When I looked where the Ring Ouzal lived its habitat it didnt match over water in Matlock bath.

Did I see one (two) or what else could it have been?

H

Sounds like it was probably a dipper. But to be honest, every time I go to matlock bath I get distracted by fish and chips!

I got all excited earlier in the year spotted a bird went home and identified it as a little eegret thought wow, then found there not rare in this country, but it was still the first I had seen not on the telly.

They're not that common the further north you go. Plenty of them down the south and they're working their way up. Still a great bird to see though

I got all excited earlier in the year spotted a bird went home and identified it as a little eegret thought wow, then found there not rare in this country, but it was still the first I had seen not on the telly.

Wildfowler will see em a often.....I have see them regularly on the marsh in your area....saw a crane flying over Berwick a couple of years ago!

Another name for a dipper is a water ouzel so as the others have said.......likely that?

Not this one in the video, the birds I saw were nearly black and a white bar on their chests?

They looked like this

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/r/ringouzel/

Edited by harrycatcat1