DPF cleaning fluid

aga man

The problem with diesel soot is that it's not only a filthy stinking annoyance to everyone around but it's also both carcinogenic and a respiratory irritant when inhaled. Older diesels simply spat the soot and all the other pollutants out into the atmosphere for everyone to share but, amongst other things, the Euro 4 emissions standards demanded a DPF to trap the soot. All the regen does is burn the soot down to ash which is fairly harmless but eventually the DPF will need to be replaced which in many cases will cost more than the vehicle is worth.

On a personal note I'm delighted to see the current trend to move away from diesel and back to petrol. Modern petrol engines can virtually match diesels for economy, at least on cars and petrol is a few P less per litre. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Westward said:

The problem with diesel soot is that it's not only a filthy stinking annoyance to everyone around but it's also both carcinogenic and a respiratory irritant when inhaled. Older diesels simply spat the soot and all the other pollutants out into the atmosphere for everyone to share but, amongst other things, the Euro 4 emissions standards demanded a DPF to trap the soot. All the regen does is burn the soot down to ash which is fairly harmless but eventually the DPF will need to be replaced which in many cases will cost more than the vehicle is worth.

On a personal note I'm delighted to see the current trend to move away from diesel and back to petrol. Modern petrol engines can virtually match diesels for economy, at least on cars and petrol is a few P less per litre. 

Petrol engines put out far more CO2 than diesel engines. It is this CO2 that is killing our planet. It's only a matter of time before the government moves the goalposts again. Once everybody has switched to petrol and got rid of their diesel cars, the tax increases on petrol fuel and petrol cars will roll out. The concern about the environment is merely a disguise for increasing government revenue at our expense.

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

Petrol engines put out far more CO2 than diesel engines. It is this CO2 that is killing our planet.

The difference isn't that much any more. The current 2 litre non-turbo petrol Mazda 3 at £30/ year tax emits less CO2 than my 1.6d version from just a few years ago.

As an aside and on a different topic there is absolutely no proper, peer reviewed and repeatable scientific evidence that CO2 is a greenhouse gas or is causing global temperatures to increase. It's all speculation, mostly by politicians, commentators and eco warriors rather than genuine scientists. Whilst CO2 levels may have increased by 3 or 4% in recent years this is minute in reality because even now CO2 only makes up 0.04% of the atmosphere, much less than the 10-12% which is water vapour, a gas that is far denser and more heat retentive than CO2.

I have a 2013 land rover defender Puma with DPF, I only do short journeys all week in it. I had it seviced at 32000 at 36000 the oil service light came on, which I switched off by a combination of pressing the brake and accelorator pedal simultanoiusly etc to re-set light. I carried on driving thinking they had forgot to re-set the light at the garage thinking it was only on a count down timer. at 38000 i decided to check the oil which was by then well over the max level on the dipstick because of the amount of diesel put into the oil by the DPF regenration, turns out the software that monitors DPF also records driving conditions short journeys etc, this in turn works out a calculation and when it thinks the oil/diesel % has reached 7% diesel and rest oil it turns the light on. I changed the oil and had a lucky escape from engine failiure. looks as if I need to chage my oil every 4000 miles, surley this is more un-environmetally than running without a DPF !!   

33 minutes ago, Wooder said:

I have a 2013 land rover defender Puma with DPF, I only do short journeys all week in it. I had it seviced at 32000 at 36000 the oil service light came on, which I switched off by a combination of pressing the brake and accelorator pedal simultanoiusly etc to re-set light. I carried on driving thinking they had forgot to re-set the light at the garage thinking it was only on a count down timer. at 38000 i decided to check the oil which was by then well over the max level on the dipstick because of the amount of diesel put into the oil by the DPF regenration, turns out the software that monitors DPF also records driving conditions short journeys etc, this in turn works out a calculation and when it thinks the oil/diesel % has reached 7% diesel and rest oil it turns the light on. I changed the oil and had a lucky escape from engine failiure. looks as if I need to chage my oil every 4000 miles, surley this is more un-environmetally than running without a DPF !!   

If you drove it as it was designed it wouldn't have that issue. No diesel with dpf is good for short miles, none of em 

27 minutes ago, Hendrix's rifle said:

If you drove it as it was designed it wouldn't have that issue. No diesel with dpf is good for short miles, none of em 

Quite correct  -  however following recent research it is currently virtually impossible to buy a medium sized 4x4/suv that does not cost a small fortune and is not diesel  and fitted with a DPF.

3 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Quite correct  -  however following recent research it is currently virtually impossible to buy a medium sized 4x4/suv that does not cost a small fortune and is not diesel  and fitted with a DPF.

You are also correct, due to Euro emissions. Working on them is a ballache aswell! 

8 hours ago, Wooder said:

have the high pressure diesel pump checked out as they run off the timing chain the seals may have failed allowing diesel to enter the sump first  place I would look    keep an eye on the oil levels   you are right the brain does check oil viscosity so premature service light because of the diesel  a good warning system  as the duration is getting shorter between oil changes  tells me the leak is getting worse have the pump checked out    a farmer friend has two lr with this type engine never go above 40mph as moving livestock on trailers on and off road no issues with dpf both old man drivers   

Edited by Saltings

11 hours ago, Saltings said:

have the high pressure diesel pump checked out as they run off the timing chain the seals may have failed allowing diesel to enter the sump first  place I would look    keep an eye on the oil levels   you are right the brain does check oil viscosity so premature service light because of the diesel  a good warning system  as the duration is getting shorter between oil changes  tells me the leak is getting worse have the pump checked out    a farmer friend has two lr with this type engine never go above 40mph as moving livestock on trailers on and off road no issues with dpf both old man drivers   

thanks will get it checked out ! I am OCD about checking the oil now, it seems clean and same place on the stick as when changed. my nephew has the same problem he runs a gardening business and sometimes its only a 5 minute drive between customers, and has had early warning oil change light on as well. done 27k and 5 oil changes.

I run an ‘07 Chevy Captiva (Daewoo  made) and had many issues with the mil (engine malfunction indicator light) when I first bought it with 35k on the clock. The dealer came up with all sorts of “remedies “ including thrashing it round the motorway, faulty sensors etc. As I quite liked the car I did some research and eventually settled on Cataclean every four months in a quarter tank of fuel, a £12 obd2 interrogation device and have no further problems. If the mil comes on, I add the additive and reset the light. I do this before I am going to use the car anyway as I refuse to just drive for no reason other than to heat up the engine. Had my car been one year older, I could have legally removed the DPF and remapped the ECU. My MOT station always checks post 07 DPF’s for interference. Having said the above I still quite like the Captiva, it’s roomy has enough grunt, 7 seats and is cheap to run. The cleaner also keeps the fuel system clear, a friend recently forked out £1200 for 4 injectors for his Dodge Nitro ( funnily enough it has a Merc 2.7 engine and 4 Merc injectors are about £300) makes no sense to me!

Edited by impala59

The whole DPF debacle would be a lot easier to manage if it actually told you when it was about to do a regen, or even better, you could TELL it when to do one, and it only does it automatically when it absolutely needs to. That way you could plan a run out rather than arriving somewhere and you smell the familiar smell/tinkling noise it makes when its hot!